_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Universal Carrier AM tracks
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 12:10 AM UTC
Modelkason do a set of Non Workable Tracks (K-16) for the Universal Carrier and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they are like. Are they worth the money to get to replace the Tamiya kit tracks which I believe are wrong.

Or does anyone know of another maker of AM tracks for the carrier?

cheers
Cliff
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Armorama: 761 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 12:30 AM UTC
Cliff,

CommandPost (Derek) should have the answer for you on his built AOP Carrier Conversion
You can check the pictures of the tracks on his thread

Skipper
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 12:45 AM UTC
I used MK tracks on my Universal Carrier. Here's a pic of them in place: Image hosted by Photobucket.com
These are definately worth the money and effort, tamiya's tracks are simply horrible, and the drive sprockets have half the amount of teeth they should. MK's set fixes both the problems, as white metal sprockets are included. The track links are tiny but fit together very well. Just take your time when removing the links from the sprues. It's important to cut them off so that no excessive tension is placed on the tiny parts.

First cut the single connectors, then clip away the U-shaped part of sprue around the lowest (in the pic above) link. Cut the lowest link loose and cut the sprue away from around the second link. (repeat as necessary) That way I didn't break a single piece of track while cutting the sprues. The tracks are then easy to assemble with liquid cement (remember to apply cement carefully as the parts are small).

I remember resicast makes both a resin update with resin tracks. The tracks look like copies of MK track lenghts. I remember reading a review of them, they're good, but they come in just long runs of track, meaning you have to bend them around sprockets and other curves.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 04:48 AM UTC
Those MK tracks look good.....but seem to be as rare as hens teeth..... I keep pulling an "out of stock"...... any ideas whom just may have them in stock???
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 06:22 AM UTC
Thanks Derek.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 10:21 AM UTC
Guys thanks for the replys. Derick I should have gone back and read your post but only remembered it after I had posted this thread.

I have to have a think about the Resicast set mainly because I am doing the Australian Attack carrier version so most if not all the top armor gets removed or modified as the back is a flat platform to hold the 2lb anti tank gun. Plus I have no plans to do another carrier at this stage so all the other parts in the set are more or less wasted for me.

When I do this build I will not be able to post pics as it is being done for a model magazine article and as they are supplying most of the parts (except the replacement tracks) I feel obliged to not publish anything until after they have published the full article.

Thanks and cheers
Cliff
 _GOTOTOP