_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Tiger I
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 04:39 PM UTC
Here I am again , this is the Tamiya Tiger I early, with Tank Workshop partial interior, and Aber full upgrade kit. I have been working on this project for almost 4 months now, with all the little interruption (the Panhard, the Panzer I, the plane, the boat...) here is what I had done so far, any comment will be greatly appreciated. I am making one Das Reich Tiger which saw a fair share of combat....

octupus
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 411 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 06:46 PM UTC
Dave,

Frankly speaking, nice work and weathering. However, you have too many kits are waiting for you and you just invest a little time in it. That's why you have been working on it for 4 months.Man, that's what men are, right?

Steve
REMEARMR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 443 posts
Armorama: 357 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 06:57 PM UTC
Great job mate,
I really like the turret interior, how do you plan to show it? Are you going to put it in a dio?
I have always built OOTB but am playing with the idea of using kits on a Famo if I get it. Are there any make of kits I should avoid? You appear to be a man of knowledge and would appreciate your opinion.
cheers,
Robbo
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 08:08 PM UTC
Thanks Robbo for your comment. For the Famo, the only thing I can think of is the Aber upgrade set. Actually I only been doing this hobby for around 8 months, so I am not knowledgable at all, (but been in love with the German armor for a long time). Just off my head I can think of a number of people whom are much much more qualified to answer your questions in regarding to what kit to avoid, or what to use:

Folgore : For his great knowledge in history stuff
Sgtreef/Pak40/Avukich : They are all very well versed in German armor, and construction technics, and AM stuff. Actually it was Avukich whom hooked me into AM stuff....
Sabot : Man, he is a guru of kits.... #:-)

But if you elect to use Aber PE sets for Famo, please do not be discouraged by it at the first place. The first Aber I used was for my Jagdpanzer L/48, I used 3 pcs of the whole thing, second one was for my King Tiger, I used 7 pcs, and third one was for my Stug III, I used about 20 pcs. Now I probably can use up to 75/80% of the whole PE sheet. So all I want to say is that it takes some getting use to, and once you do it, it's more demanding on patience than skill. And you need good tools, and always put your CA glue on a piece of wax paper and apply glue with a pin to not over apply the CA glue.

Good luck, and thank you again.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 11:57 PM UTC
Looking good SS-74. So 4 months hey cool. Have you seen the Academy kit with full interior? Anygood? (:-)

I appalued you for using Aber PE very hard to do Great job on that Dave Pig2 Hey
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 12:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have always built OOTB but am playing with the idea ......

Same here! I have attempted little bits so far, wiring headlights, new front bumper for a jeep and handles. Some day Im going to take the jump and go for a PE kit as well. After 8 months of modelling and coming up with results like that, should give me some initiative. Great work again. I think I have fallen into that trap as well, of starting more projects at a time than I can manage.
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 01:33 AM UTC
Looking good Dave! I'm with octopus. I want to see you stop interrupting this build and buckle down and finish it! If you keep up at the same skill level, the finished product will certainly be a thing of beauty!

Quoted Text

Are there any make of kits I should avoid?

REMEARMR--If you mean actual model kits, then stay away from AER and Encore until you get a whole bunch of experience because they are horrible when it comes to fit and will take a lot of sanding then filling, sanding then filling, sanding...

In terms of PE, I would suggest trying an Eduard set first as their instructions are clearer and they aren't quite as intimidating as the Aber sets. After you've gotten some experience then you should try Aber & PART PE. They are both great companies doing great work, but they are a little harder than Eduard. I would suggest staying away from Airwaves. Their PE is too thick and not very nice to work with.

In terms of resin, I would suggest staying away from AEF designs. What little I've seen of their stuff has been crappy and I've heard very few good things about their stuff.
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 851 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 02:00 AM UTC
Nice work Dave. I have recently finished a similar project, a partial interior of a Panther G. I am interested to know what colors you mixed to get the interior red-oxide primer color. I would also like to know how you detailed the gauges such as the spedometer, etc., did you hand paint them?
Regards,
Andrew

SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 02:43 AM UTC
Hi Guys, thanks all for your kind words for my age long project.

Jeff,

Yep, I saw the Academy one, it's a beauty, I have this kit, but I like to try something with resin, hence, used the Tank Workshop one. The Aber kit is great, it has wood block for jack block, comes with different gauges of cables, a little jig for folding hinges, and turned tube....

Adam,

You have to forgive me, I am a very socially engaged person. But, I definitely will try to put more time on that Tiger....

Andrew,

I used Tamiya Hull red for the oxidized red color. And the gauges are handpainted...
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 02:46 AM UTC
yep I have to say it looks very good
I have built a couple of tigers myself
and I bought the academy one with interior a couple of years ago
still have to finish that one time
this project of you could be an inspirational thing for my tiger

Greetz Robert "FAUST" Blokker
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 02:54 AM UTC
That is a thing of beauty, Dave. Please remember to show us what the finished product looks like. Eight months???...it took my that long just to unglue my fingers!!! You, sir, are very good.

Mike

tankshack
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 12:18 PM UTC
Dave,
Great looking TIger... four months is really a short amount of time to be working on a project of this scope.

The big ones like this really take a lot of effort.... can't wait to see it finished.

Later,
Tim
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 02:19 PM UTC
Thanks guys for your kind words. I must admit that I did too long for this project. I promise I will get back on track with this thing, and hopefully post more advanced stage picture in the near future....
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 12:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks guys for your kind words. I must admit that I did too long for this project. I promise I will get back on track with this thing, and hopefully post more advanced stage picture in the near future....

Go Dave Go
lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 340 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 04:21 PM UTC
Wish i could model like that nice job
 _GOTOTOP