_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Calendar Feedback
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 09:46 AM UTC
Ok...I managed to spend a bit of time on two different approaches to an Armorama Calendar. I would appriciate everyones feedback on these to determine which style will be more appriciated by potential buyers of a 2003 Armorama Calendar.

Version A - Dioramas prefered, single image with background (no real background in this image but that would be corrected were it used in the final product.

Version B - Multi-image approach with focus on a single model, vehicle info, and flanking reference shots. The background on these images could also be colored or perhaps still use a background image.

Thanks,
Jim

PS: Anyone who is interested in supplying images of their work for this please contact either Ken (kencelot) or myself.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 09:50 AM UTC
That's a really hard decision. Both look really good. But, I'm kinda leaning towards version "B".
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 09:50 AM UTC
Jim,
I liked both, but I do prefer the second choice.....
Cheers
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 10:01 AM UTC
I thought of this before anyone responded but I didn't add it then. I really need your opinion as a "buyer" and NOT as a submitter. For example I know that by percentages most of us build only models and not dioramas. The reality is that only 12 images will be selected either way and because of the photography limitations (requirements) many of the images used may be from people who have rarely even visited the site.

So... try think like a buyer for me please.

Thanks,
Jim
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 10:03 AM UTC
From a design perspective the second one would give you more options as far as photo availability and the look of the final photo.
I like the first one very much, what I would turn me off (only a bit) would be non-related backgrounds. Back grounds that would include someones workbench or other models from a show's display.

I just thought of this - if photo size is an issue would it be different or easier if you use the small 5"x5" desktop calendar format? Just a thought.

I'll buy one or either!
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 10:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

From a design perspective the second one would give you more options as far as photo availability and the look of the final photo.
I like the first one very much, what I would turn me off (only a bit) would be non-related backgrounds. Back grounds that would include someones workbench or other models from a show's display.

I just thought of this - if photo size is an issue would it be different or easier if you use the small 5"x5" desktop calendar format? Just a thought.

I'll buy one or either!

Scott,
The owner of that image has offered to reshoot it "with" an actual background so the image would look even better than this.

Jim
m1garand
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 10:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I thought of this before anyone responded but I didn't add it then. I really need your opinion as a "buyer" and NOT as a submitter. For example I know that by percentages most of us build only models and not dioramas. The reality is that only 12 images will be selected either way and because of the photography limitations (requirements) many of the images used may be from people who have rarely even visited the site.

So... try think like a buyer for me please.

Thanks,
Jim

My response as a buyer would be the same. "Leaning towards version "B"
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 11:15 AM UTC
I'm leaning towards Version 'B" too - and would reshoot any image(s) to fit with a new calendar page format. Personally, dios are close to scenic views for me. I'd go buy Ansel Adams shots for that...

Gunnie
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 11:20 AM UTC
I agree, I'd pick 'B'...

I could shoot a hi-res pic of my Bulldog, but I wouldn't want to be responsibe for uglifying the calendar..

Quoted Text

...dios are close to scenic views for me. I'd go buy Ansel Adams shots for that...

For me, Thomas Kincade

YodaMan
m1garand
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 11:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

...dios are close to scenic views for me. I'd go buy Ansel Adams shots for that...

For me, Thomas Kincade

YodaMan

For me, Robert Taylor.
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 12:00 PM UTC
Jim,
I would also go with version 'B'.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 02:12 PM UTC
Looks like Verison B is taking a comanding lead in the voter opinion pole.

Like I said - I'll buy either!
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 03:05 PM UTC
I vote for version "B"
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 03:58 PM UTC
Argg...

Ok, less democracy and more focus group. I need to know "why" you like one over the other.

To be blunt I very much like the idea of a dio image because it fills up all the empty space. So to persuade me otherwise I will need reasoning why one is preferred over the other. In a strick design sense (as a graphic designer) A wins easily so I am a little mystified at the trend so far. Don't let this throw anyone though as my clients like to do this to me all the time as well.

Jim
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 04:16 PM UTC
I changed out the Sherman for a lesser known tank. You may need to hit CTRL + F5 to see this change. With our love of Sherman's on this site I don't think it was quite equitable to match the French Samua up against the M4.

I also wasn't able to find any good reference images for this tank though as none are out on the net. Another item I am concerned with as good model photos would have to be discarded if no decent reference images could be found for this template.

Jim
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 04:20 PM UTC
I prefer "B" because I can see the work put into the model. I'm more interested in the model rather than a setting it's placed into. I especially like the white back ground, which to me, brings the focus to the model.

Most dioramas just don't look right to me.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 04:28 PM UTC
Steve,
Thanks for the additional input. I too want the details to come through so that makes sense to me. So too does your feelings about dioramas in general. Noted.

Cheers,
Jim
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 04:33 PM UTC
Jim,

Here is a page

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/html/britain/churchill_photos.html

http://www.jed.simonides.org/tanks/charlie/churchill_series/churchill-series.html

Picture

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/images/britain/churchill_arve_mkiv_01.jpg

KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 07:18 PM UTC
Jim - I'm an obvious "A" guy... for several reasons...

a) I like the format of a full page
b) many dios contain armor - so the armor buffs get their kicks too!
c) if you use well done dioramas, they look GREAT

What about a compromise... some months feature a Diorama... others feature model armor... and others could feature a mix?
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 07:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jim - I'm an obvious "A" guy... for several reasons...

a) I like the format of a full page
b) many dios contain armor - so the armor buffs get their kicks too!
c) if you use well done dioramas, they look GREAT

What about a compromise... some months feature a Diorama... others feature model armor... and others could feature a mix?

Jim,

I'm fully with KFM here !!. But if a strict choice had to be made.... "A" it would be, for the same reasons KFM mentioned.
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 11:53 PM UTC
I like very much the A version. I simply feel that it's nicer to look at, there's more to look at.
Still, that version plus reference shots would be GREAT !
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 12:32 AM UTC
from the designers eye
the second one will definitely win

the arguments are these:
because of the white (neutral background) all the focus is on the tank or vehicle that is placed in the middle
it`s also a nice and quiet buildup for the viewer to see (no screaming colours or pictures that are so busy that you have the idea that you are looking to a "where is Wally"poster)
Further if you`ve got clear High res images of the vehicle all the details come out very neat
also the white background gives the vehicle a more mighty appearance (dark on light colours)

from out my oppinion I`ll definitely go for option B
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 05:02 AM UTC
Okay - another posted opinion...

If I walked up to a rack and both calendars were there - I'd still go for Version "B". I like dioramas a lot, but not as much as the single AFV image. It draws and centers my attention, and I don't want anything else in the frame of view with it. I love model railroading too, but pass on vista shots in favor of a closeup of the engine or car every time.

The most appealing thing to me in aircraft photos are the ones in flight - with just the aircraft filling the frame and little of the sky showing behind it. A cloudless sky, or shot with the cloud deck low in the frame really makes it for me in an aircraft photo - for another example.

From a graphic viewpoint - less background clutter is more appealing to me.

Gunnie
m1garand
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 05:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Okay - another posted opinion...

If I walked up to a rack and both calendars were there - I'd still go for Version "B". I like dioramas a lot, but not as much as the single AFV image. It draws and centers my attention, and I don't want anything else in the frame of view with it. I love model railroading too, but pass on vista shots in favor of a closeup of the engine or car every time.

The most appealing thing to me in aircraft photos are the ones in flight - with just the aircraft filling the frame and little of the sky showing behind it. A cloudless sky, or shot with the cloud deck low in the frame really makes it for me in an aircraft photo - for another example.

From a graphic viewpoint - less background clutter is more appealing to me.

Gunnie

I'll second this opinion. Can't say it any better than that.
mongo_mel
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,580 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 06:19 AM UTC
I'll vote for "B"
I'm not distracted from the model by everything else around it.
 _GOTOTOP