_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: R/C Armor
Discuss all Remote Control Armor related topics here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Help, I got a tank by mail today
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Armorama: 1,423 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 02:43 AM UTC
I got the Tamiya 1/16 Leopard 2 A6 by mail today, and first impression can be described by one word: AWESOME!!!
Have any of you built this tank, and are there any difficulties I should be aware of? I have some experience with RC tanks, building the Tiger 1 about a year ago.

Cheers

Erik :-)
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 04:22 AM UTC
I'm think I might have a magazine with a build article of the 1/16 Leopard 2A6 but I'll have to check.

Never built an RC tank. I wish they would put this one out in a static version for us cheapskates.

Paul
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 04:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Never built an RC tank. I wish they would put this one out in a static version for us cheapskates.

Tamiya has released a static version, unfortunately it still isn't cheap. I think they go for around $400.00.

Mike
PGILL
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 05:12 AM UTC
I have been building mine now for about 6 months. Most of it went together without any problems. But when you hook up the tail lights be very careful. I broke the fiber optics the first time I did it. It's very important that you install it right or the part that inclose the sides won't fix right.

Transmission Case:
Take your time putting all the gears together and watch the spacing. Also watch the grease. I didn't put enough on in some places so I had to take it apart again to add more. The second time, I stripped some of the screw holes.

Painting:
Do it in steps when you are done with each section. I painted the lower hull and then the upper hull and most of the turret. Don't put it together first and then go back and paint it, because you will have to take about 70% of the tank apart to do it.

For the camo painting, I been using the silly putty trick. Paint the hole tank base green and then masking the areas off for the brown and black. I been using Tamiya's spray paint for the all the base colors and then going back and using Tamiya's bottles for weathering and lighting of the colors.

Upgrade:
I purchase the idler upgrade from backyardarmor.com. I used it in my Pershing and it made a lot of different when it came to getting the right tention on the main tracks.

I also purchase the barrel upgrade from Tamiya. Personally I think it's a big waste of money. There are extra holes around the barrel sleeve. Is it worth an extra 20 dollars, I don't think so. I also purchase the main gun stabilizer from Tamiya, I haven't tried it out yet because I'm still working on the turret but the ideal sound cool.

All in all it's a very simple build. Just take your time and read the directions. The only bottle neck I had so far with the rear tail lights.

Good luck,
Pat
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 06:11 AM UTC
Thanks, Pat
Helpful tips and hints.

Erik
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,594 posts
Armorama: 973 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 06:34 AM UTC

Thought you might..... "SCRATCH-BUILD" it into a "Dachs 2" :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
aye
Barv
(GOSMG)
ps........thanks ...post arrived to-day..........SAC
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 06:58 AM UTC
That would be something, Steve!!!
With a remote controlled dozerblade, digger and weaponstation and...

Nah... Think this one will be out of the box (wich is almost as big as my hobby room), with some small extra details.

Erik
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 06:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm think I might have a magazine with a build article of the 1/16 Leopard 2A6 but I'll have to check.

Paul

TMMI and Military in Scale both had construction articles, the TMMI was pretty useless IMVHO but the article over two issues of Military In Scale is quite detailed with many tips on construction. I'll have to look up the exact issues.

Tamiya have released in July 2005 a static version (non RC) of the 1/16 Leopard 2A6.

Cheers,

Christophe
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2005 - 09:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

ERIK,GOT ANY PICS YOU CAN SHARE WITH US?

I have'nt started to build it yet. There will be pictures as soon as I start the project.

Erik

C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2005 - 12:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I also purchase the barrel upgrade from Tamiya. Personally I think it's a big waste of money. There are extra holes around the barrel sleeve. Is it worth an extra 20 dollars, I don't think so.

I totally agree on that, I wish I hadn't purchased mine as it's not much of an "upgrade", save your money!

Cheers,
Christophe
 _GOTOTOP