_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Tankograd
Barkmann
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 03:54 PM UTC
For the first time, I can show you one of my model.
This is the Italeri/Zvezda T34/85 kit with Maquette Tracks. Build mostly out of box and now in paint chamber.
Paint job in progress. Comments are welcome!!

Cheers!
Louis-David Plourde
http://www.smhq.org
http://membres.lycos.fr/barkmann
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 04:17 PM UTC
I think you did a great job on the paint job (post-shading?). It won't need much weathering. What did you make the tow cable out of?

Nic
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 293 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 05:28 PM UTC
Looks awesome Louis!!! I have a couple of questions though:
1) How is the Zvezda kit, especially concerning the fit of the parts?
2) Is the engine grill like that out of the box or did you scratchbuild it or uses aftermarket?
3) The texture on the turret looks really good, does the kit come like that or did you do some magic there also?

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 06:43 PM UTC
Did the Russian barrels really tapper smaller like this toward the end?

Also is this color scheme typical? It seems darker at this point then other Soviet builds I am use to.

Good work so far Louis!
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 471 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 06:44 PM UTC
Louis, what a coincedence I am getting close to finishing the exact same model. Small world?? I have a few questions though. Did u find the handles on the hull behind the turret were to far forward?? After fitting the turret in I found that it would snap off those handles if it ever rotated, so i just moved them back. Are u finished with adding the stowage? It seemed like there was alot included in the kit and from the instructions I couldn't figure out how you could possible get it all on (ammo crates, shovels) etc. I have been wondering how to get the molded straight tow cables on, did u heat yours up and bend it, or did u use something else? I especially like the repainted over rust/muddy texture to the back of the hull. How did u do that? Overall excellent job, can't wait to see the finished product

Bombshell, my upper hull was so warped I could barely get it to fit, and I had many sleepless night worrying about it. However the extra tanks and stowage managed to cover up my glue soaked nightmare, but the poor fit gave the kit a funny high rear end look to it. I had a devil of a time with the 2 piece tracks. I can see why barkman used aftermarket. Other than that it fell together pretty easy, even for me. As far as the turret mine came with a very similar funky texture to it. This is my first armor kit but i have to say I loved it, and it was half the cost of a Tamiya.
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 01:06 AM UTC
Bombshell--I haven't built the Zvezda T-34/85, but I have built the Zvezda T-34/76 mod. 1943 (which has basically the same hull, the only major difference is the turret) and it went together well. The fit isn't as good as Tamiya, but isn't bad either. The kit takes a bit more work than Tamiya, but in the end it is worth it because the accuracy of the Zvezda kit is much better than Tamiya (besides you don't have to deal with those !@#$%^& motorization holes).

Louis--Great Work! I love the paint job and the PE grill & visible louvers are nice. How good were those Maquette tracks? I have been thinking about buying some for a couple of my future T-34 based models, but wasn't sure how good they were. Are there a lot of ejector pin marks or is there a lot of cleanup involved?
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 02:37 AM UTC
Is this an example of post shading? I only got my first airbrush recently and tried the preshading and thought it looked quite good. But on looking at the results of both of them a post shading may be a better way to go as it defines better .... or maybe a bit of both. This looks like its almost completeley weathered as well. What colours did you use? Did you increase the darker tone by much?
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 02:40 AM UTC
yep this is a very good model

I like the paintjob very much

have a cold one you earned it

SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 03:52 AM UTC
Louis, Love the paint job, really awesome. I also wonder about the texture on the turret, is this come with the kit?

Also is this common for Russian to put spare track links on the handle attached as you shown in your model? Very interesting.

Great stuff....
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 04:14 AM UTC
Dave--I'm pretty sure that the kit comes with the texture and yes it was common for the Russians to stow extra track links in the handle as Louis' model shows.
Barkmann
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 10:19 AM UTC
Hi Guys!!!

Thanks for your kind of words!!

The Italeri Kit isn't bad... one thing I can say is a gap problem between the rear plate and the hull...some putty needed here!! Some details needs to be added to make this kit look great. Tracks needs to be change... that's why I use Maquette seperate tracks. These track are really good and crisp ( for the price you can get 3 set of track for one Modelkasten ) may be a bit thinner than other brand but at the final looks great! Also, I change the tow cable for more realism (picture cable). Mud guards are made with lead foil. I didn't use PE set. For the rear plate screen I use Scale Scenics Aluminium Micro Mesh (ref 652-3500). I made holes and sand the kit part to make it thinner.
The texture on the turret look great and comes like this in the kit!! The handles on the rear deck engine are made from aluminium rod (may be that's why I didn't have the problem with the turret clearence) I didn't use all tools because some are not very good.

For the paint job, I paint all the kit in Flat black first. and adding 5 coats of different green. starting with XF-61 Dark Green mix with Flat Black in it.... to Dark Green mix with Dark Yellow XF-60 for lighter green (last two coats). This is my first attempt with this technique.
All the paints are dilute with alcohol 1/2 and even more...depending of compressor pressure. With a dual action airbrush, I kept paint entry at minimum....
This method was not really fast! It takes me 1hour and a half for each coats paint! after a couple of days and patience here is the result.
Russians uses many green shade!! Some are darker than others...and some have been sent to the battlefield without any paint on it!! After a couple of days these tanks rust....

Cheers!
Louis-David Plourde
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 10:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is this an example of post shading? I only got my first airbrush recently and tried the preshading and thought it looked quite good. But on looking at the results of both of them a post shading may be a better way to go as it defines better .... or maybe a bit of both. This looks like its almost completeley weathered as well. What colours did you use? Did you increase the darker tone by much?

Sorry, Plasticbattle, I messed up. As you can tell from what Barkamnn says above it is pre-shading, not post-shading. I like pre-shading myself, when the tank is only one colour. For camo schemes, though, post-shading can come in very handy. Just use a thinned dark brown paint and spray around the areas that you would normally put a wash.

Nic
BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 347 posts
Armorama: 167 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 02:55 AM UTC
Well I am impressed by the Canadian contribution here Well done kit. I can only comment on the construction as I have limited knowledge on Russina Armour.

I too like the grills, cable and paint job...

So they sent tanks into battle unpainted? Maybe the reflection off the unprimed metal might help blind the enemy

I have this picture in my mind of tanks being built in the factories of Stalingrad and rolling right off the assembly line into battle....

Keep up the great work!

MSW
Barkmann
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 05:07 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

I really appreciate all your messages!! a great canadian participation to this Forum!!! COOL!!It's fun to talk with you all over the world.
I don't know where I read this ( russian sent some tanks on primer to the battlfield ) but will take a look in my books!!

Cheers!

Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 05:19 AM UTC
Barkmann, do you have Mike Ashey's Modeling Realistic Tanks and Artillery? He mentions that piece of information in there.

Nic
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 851 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 01:34 PM UTC
Adam Wilder has a good model of a "naked" or unpainted T-34 on the Missing Linx website.

I like your T-34/85 Barkmann, it is well built and painted but the preshading is a little too pronounced. I assume that you will compensate for this in your weathering approach.
Cheers,
Andrew

avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 12:52 AM UTC
BillyBishop--The picture in your mind about tanks being produced in the factories of Stalingrad and rolling right off of the line into combat is an accurate one. That is exactly what happened during the height of the fierce fighting in Stalingrad. The Soviets were very desperate and didn't bother wasting the time or the paint on a vehicle that was already at the front and probably wouldn't last through the day. My GOD what an incredible and hellish battle that must have been!

BTW, definately go check out the unpainted T-34 on ML that Adam Wilder did (the one that Oberst mentioned). It is superb. http://www.missing-lynx.com/gallery/russia/awstz.htm
 _GOTOTOP