_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
how to save pics from models-on-display?
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
KitMaker: 986 posts
Armorama: 387 posts
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2005 - 09:32 PM UTC
i tried to save some pics from the armorama models-on-display section in my pc ... but when i right-click the images, a 'function disabled' message appears, and i can't save the pics.

can anybody help me here? or perhaps it's illegal? are we not allowed to save the pics? hmmmm......
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2005 - 11:00 PM UTC
It's disabled to protect the copy rights in reviews. The system protects everything. I'm sure if you PM the builder, he'd probably be happy to direct you where you can save them, or email you a set.
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2005 - 11:05 PM UTC
whell, it is not "illegal" but simply a admin decission.

It is a result from the review section, we have some review pictures from certain company's (books) who made it clear that to present pictures of theire products they need to be of a certain size and not downloadeble.

because of this copyright restriction Jim had to disable the save function.

the review and On Display gallery share the same software so disabeling it for one part automaticly also disables it for another section.

Foxy
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 332 posts
Armorama: 220 posts
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2005 - 11:32 PM UTC
unfortunatly this protection can be with minor efforts. lets say 15 sec. of extra time and you have the desired picture on your pc.

so while i don't know how the admin would think about babbling this workaround, i will keep it a secret

i also don't think, that you can asure complete safety for all graphics oin a webpage. you can just keep the average user from downloading them on the common way with the tools the browser supplies....
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 12:33 AM UTC
Patrick,
No security or copy protection is 100%. Everybody is aware of this. Nor is anybody against people holding images on their PC gleaned from the site. There are other levels of protection that would make it more difficult to copy images, or not worth the effort such as watermarking which a lot of other fairly prominent sites do. However, this would mean debasing the image and spoiling the enjoyment for a lot of people. At least with the present protection in place an image of no more than 96 dpi can be stored, which for all practical purposes, away from your PC is useless.

Vinnie
 _GOTOTOP