Hosted by Darren Baker
Home stretch - Dio update
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 08:53 AM UTC
Well here's an update on my latest large project.
Story line is a unit is covering a bridge on a less active front near the end of the war when there wasn't as much Lufwaffa activity. So the men are persuing other activities and the CO has arranged a snack for them.

One idea for a Title is Gotcha Covered

There are a few more coats of pastels left to do, a couple of details I want to add, curtains, phone wire, M16 radio head set, tone down the apples too.
I like taking pictures as I go and reviewing them. You see things in pictures that you don't see on the workbench. Also all of you get to chime in too.

docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,998 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 09:01 AM UTC
looking good, certainly like the way you have toned down the edges

just feels that there is a little empty space at the front of the dio, on the road, may be worth filling with a couple of the anti tank obstacles, or maybe a small jeep

nice to see a peaceful diorama (not in ruins) for a change

keith forsyth
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 847 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 09:01 AM UTC
Looks really good. Nice scene, Is the GI coming up from the raft? or did some one just fall in? Tons of great details, right down to the streen signs. I hate to ask this but did you complete the inside view of the building? Just curious. Love to see this finished and up close.
Bob
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 2,220 posts
Armorama: 1,707 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 09:11 AM UTC
Looking good. I really like the water area, and the sail boat - nice touch! I too agree the front area is a bit plain, maybe just a figure on a bike would be enough. Also the streeth and sidewalks look too clean to me.

Overall very well done, congrats!
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 09:28 AM UTC
Thanks guys.
Keith, I've tried a jeep in the front and the jeep crowds it a bit. I had thought about an AT steel gerder obstacle and will try it out. Thanks for the feedback
kilntime, nope - no inside of the building. Once I positioned the building there really isn't much space to work with. So I plan on curtains and 'black out' screens so you can't see through it.
The figure walking is lugging one of the may jerry cans to the M16.
Sticky - I like the bicycle idea, small and civilian, I like it. More pastel dirt - on the way.

Any way I look at it something will be going in the front area.

Thanks
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,447 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 09:43 AM UTC
Looking great so far. The street color, to me seems a bit weird, since ive never seen a yellow street.. :-) I definatly like this so far though! Thanks for posting!
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 10:20 AM UTC
I think this is going to be great when you finish junking up the street. In my subdivision we just got a brand new street... dug down to the foundation, new limestone base and 2 layers asphalt. We've only had it for two days and already it's junked up with footprints, tiremarks, candy wrappers, leaves and gravel.
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 10:52 AM UTC
Scott, it is really coming along and looks so much better with out the red frame. I love all the little details you have going on in this one. I agree on the front part, it needs something. A bike is a great idea but instead of one just standing there doesnt someone make a figure or two of girls riding (made for the tamiya bicycles)? I think that would lend itself to the cool factor. What do you think? Cheers Kevin
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 11:02 AM UTC
Thanks again - Sherm - I don't know how far I'll go, but I do like the idea of some new papers or 'trash' in the corners..... Will do.
Kevin - something will happen in the front area, two would be cool - it would be Awsome if I could find two kids on bikes riding away from the canal......

Anyone?
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 01:01 PM UTC
The bike riders are not kis but women.

Go to http://www.greatmodels.com/ and search for CDS4007 for Women Riding. They are from Custom Dioramics. However it looks like the bicycles are sold separate from the women figures
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 01:47 PM UTC
Thats absolutely fantastic!

Editors, can we get Scott to write an article on how he did this?
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 01:59 PM UTC
Jeremy - I'm already 8 pages into an article
I'm going from inspiration, planning,buidings, AFV, Water, AM kits, figures, details, finishing.

I've taken a page from jackhammer81's book and have a TON of photos.

Shermie - I saw those women on bikes. They were my first thought, but Kevin pointed out that the GI's would be paying a lot more attention to two women on bikes than they would be to an apple vendor. Thanks though.

Thanks for the feedback - it makes me and my projects better.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 02:15 PM UTC
Well there may be a story in GIs chasing women too!
tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 1,430 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 03:26 PM UTC
Scott, I think you have a definate winner here. All the little details here and there are really tying this one together nicely. I love the building, and the look of the street as well. Aside from what has already been mentioned...one little thing that caught my eye are the Steps where the soldeir is sitting.. It just doesnt seem to "meet" the sidewalk well.

Great Job.
Mary (++)
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 04:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jeremy - I'm already 8 pages into an article
I'm going from inspiration, planning,buidings, AFV, Water, AM kits, figures, details, finishing.

I've taken a page from jackhammer81's book and have a TON of photos.

Thats fantastic, please do let us know once that article is ready. Looking forward to it!
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,396 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 06:33 PM UTC
The whole Dio looks great, like you said, a little more work and it's going to look wonderful... nice touch on the sail boat on the platform... and the pot of flowers too... how did make the flowers in the pot?
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 10:35 PM UTC
Thanks Mary. There is a bit of crumbling at all the edges of the steps. It is hard to see in the photos.
The feature will be published and a "What's New" thread will be started.
The flowers were fairly easy, the pot is just a bit of Sculpy clay rolled and shaped. The flowers are a version of dried babies breath from the dried flower isle at the craft store. I painted each one individually.
Vanderboer, thanks I know time can be precious.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 11:03 PM UTC
Scotty, that's looking really good.... I like the sailboat, maybe a kid on the float to set that corner off. If you need a kid figure let me know, got a few laying about....
1/35 scale... not real ones...... :-)
Parks20
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 737 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 01:27 AM UTC
This is looking great Scott. The toned down edges looks much better. I agree with the others as far as needing something more in the streets. How about a dispatch rider talking to an officer? Or a stock pile of oil drums and other supplies? I also think just a small amount of trash in the street would add visual character. Speaking of the street, is that home made, or bought, it looks fantastic.
Thanks for sharing, I look forward to the article.
docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,998 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 02:49 AM UTC
also as another thought how about adding some victory ribbons across the street, you know the coloured triangles on string (the exact name i carnt currently think off )

would be along and pain top make but would certainly add some colour and extra intrest

keith forsyth
Prato
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,002 posts
Armorama: 720 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 09:26 AM UTC
Awesome entry! Very good base! Awesome disposition of building and other elements, perfect!
Cheers and happy modelling!
Prato
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 1,735 posts
Armorama: 586 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 12:51 PM UTC
Very, very nice Scott. Many points of interest allowing the eye to roam completely over the dio thanks to lots of nice little touches and details (like the toy yacht left behind, road signs, flowers,etc). With the house up it counterbalances the water beautifully.

It appears that the half track and the space between the half track and the front door will be the main focal point, at least that how my eyes finally come to rest. For me if there's anything to add it would be at this area. Just my thoughts though.

I'm looking forward to see it all done up.
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 10:00 PM UTC
CK Tang - thanks for the feedback. Your point is well taken, I have a few jerry cans on the 'back' side of the M16, I can move them a bit and definitetly add more.
Thanks
 _GOTOTOP