_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
wire cable
kasper
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 08:06 PM UTC
Hey all,

Been reading a lot of posts on this site for a while and there is some great info it has help my modleing a lot.

Now my question is I am building the tamiya Dragon Wagon. The string for the winches how do i paint this to make it look like wire cable. I don't really go aftermarket due to budget already streched with price of kit and the sherman kit to sit on it. Any ideas would be helpful thanks in advance.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 08:17 PM UTC
Hi Kris,
welcome aboard !

To help you wit hthe painting of wire, here is my way of doing it.

Paint the wire NATO black or dark gray then brush it with graphite powder to give it a metal aspect. You can then finish it with a worn-out aspect with some well diluted Red Brown.

Hope this helps
olivier
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 09:18 PM UTC
Hey Kris, welcome on board!
IF (and only IF) the cable is the same scale used on the M4, then a good substitute is the 'real thing'! Have used with much success the wire that is found on older picture frames (used to hang them on walls), so I'd recommend getting to a garage sale or similar and cutting a length or two of this for use. It needs no painting, save for some weathering/exposure maybe...
hope this helps mate
Brad
kasper
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 09:23 PM UTC
Thanks for the help guys. Your idea honeycut sounds like a really good idea. I have heaps of very thin copper wire laying around, the stuff that is telephone cords and and computer cables how many strands would i have to use twisted together to amke the same thickness and would it work?
Thnaks
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 10:06 PM UTC
6, Kris. There is an article on the homepage featuring small chains, cables, springs etc. the cables he shows are only for 2 strands though, and I'm not sure how you would go about it with 6...
Cheers
Brad
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 10:51 PM UTC
Here's an article on making tow cables.
The finer the wire, the thinner the cable will be.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/494
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 842 posts
Armorama: 607 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2005 - 12:37 AM UTC
Dude, use the thread supplied with your kit. It will look the best (scale wise) after you follow Olivier's paint sceme. Trying to scratchyour own will only bog down your time with tiny details that that you need to spend on finishing your DW. (Believe me, i am talking from expierence here)

You may want to have some of the cable already pulled out and hooked up...if so, you will want to simulate a heavy cable that keeps it's shape and not just painted thread. The paint will most likely help with this, but if i may suggest, try the sugar water soaking for the part that will be extended. This , once dry, will hardedn the thread to the shape you make it dry to. Set up the thread to be attached to a form to simulate the shape and once it's dry, paint it.

The thing that has always got me was getting involved in details that are a waste of time. Unless your prepared to spend hours on details, keep your self focused on the end of the project. The DW is a wonderful kit. I have three of em'. And one is bogged down because of details...silly me.

Goodluck and we want pics...

_GOTOTOP