_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
1/16 scale M35A2 with Fuel cells
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2002 - 03:07 AM UTC
A few of you guys really challenged me, and that's probably what got me going to scratchbuild this $@#!?°€!! machine. I swore to throw it through the window at least 463 times and building the pump and fuel cell took me eight months. The painting was done in only one weekend, and maybe that shows a bit. I might redo the whole paint job... (desert scheme ? ).

I bored you with the story for a long time, but I finally got it finished last weekend.
Thanks to Epi and Rob for pictures and thanks to all of you for comments and support !
Without further ado, here's a few pics. You'll find several more in the General's Quarters (see link below).
One of these nights, I'll upload an article on scratchbuilding this baby.

I'm interested to read your comments, both from scratchbuilders and from people who are (were) familiar with this vehicle in real life.

matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2002 - 03:16 AM UTC
Jan,

It looks Great.

Just found some photos

Matt
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2002 - 03:27 AM UTC

MATT !!!

Where did you hide that picture all this time ?!

The fuel cells are the same, the pump is clearly a different type. Luckily, I had many pictures of my own, and Epi uploaded several, too.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2002 - 03:54 AM UTC
SImply amazing, I love it!!! Especially the oil spills and the faded warning....I don't think you need a repaint, this one is as good as anyone can get!!!! Salute for a splendid job!!!
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2002 - 05:43 AM UTC
Very nice Jan. It looks like you could pull up and refuel a Hummer from that truck.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2002 - 05:59 AM UTC
I agree with the others Jan... Incredible!

I've got a photo of a duece and a half that had two fuel tanks in the back.... don't know the capacity, nor are there any pump detail shots, but it's in a strange two-tone desert cammo with large black stars that I took in Grafenwoer (sp) Germany circa 1973.

I could scan it off to you (or anybody) if you'd like.

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2002 - 12:28 PM UTC
Holy Batman! Gee Jan, all I can say is "awe-inspiring". Being a fan of large scale stuff, your M35 is, as Tony the Tiger says......"GRRRRRREEEEEEAT!
You even kept the weathering ' in-scale' as well! Kudo's to ya!

Tread.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 11:29 AM UTC
Jan,
For a minute there I thought you just re-scaned and fixed the pictures I sent you.
I have no words to describe it. I am amazed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 - 06:04 AM UTC
Hey GF - you need to get that thing to the wash rack Love the way you did the spill stains Don't worry about the paint, when crews had to paint their own eauipment, patterns and technique went out the window. Now that equipment is coming out of the factory already camo painted, it is first time I have seen perfect patterns - there is no reason for you to repaint, unless you are just a glutton for punishment #:-)

Jeff
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 - 06:52 AM UTC
Jan--you finally attained Armorama Immortality status..
Well done!
DJ #:-)
CARFACE
KitMaker: 128 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 - 07:00 AM UTC
Jan,
Very well done indeed. Love the fuel stains
Chuck
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 - 07:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jan,
Very well done indeed. Love the fuel stains
Chuck

Chuck--knowing the guys in I Troop fairly well, I can honestly say the stain does not do you Boys justice....but, I digress #:-) #:-)
DJ
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 10:17 AM UTC
Those are kind words. All I wanted was immortality status, since that was what your challenge was all about last year.
Building the fuel cells was a lot of fun, but I'm glad it's over and I can focus on something new now. I spent the past week working on a tree for my dio contest. (Well, that is one night at the office, two nights for Aikido, one night cooking for friends who came to dinner and one night (last night ) pumping ten inches of water from my basement after the rising ground water level flooded it.
But tonight I worked at the tree, and it looks L VELY ! Get ready for pics soon !
MikesFigures
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 29 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 02:24 PM UTC
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 09:14 PM UTC
Man oh man. I just hope I can finish building my GMC-CCKW with # 7 wreaker set as well as you have done that beautiful truck.

Cliff (I'm a driver not a private) :-)
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 11:59 PM UTC
Great job Jan. So any article is in the making goosh that would be nice to see a real talent at work and to get some good ideas on different scratch building ideas. Again great job
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 02:33 AM UTC
Excellent work Jan. You were just being modest about re-doing the painting, weren´t you? Tell the truth now? A model to be proud of I think. All you have to tell yopurself is that the 8 months paid off!!
Good luck with the next project!
ARMDCAV
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 115 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 05:42 AM UTC
Ah come now. Tell the truth how long did it take you to build that 40 X 50 foot table? And did you use a chinook or an 88 to get it up there? This is really nice you schould get the order of the golden xacto knife w/clusters for this one. One question. Did you weather over the F in FLAMMABLE or are these old eyes not up to it ?
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 06:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Did you weather over the F in FLAMMABLE or are these old eyes not up to it ?

This is an almost exact copy of a real fuel cell I found a picture of. First I painted the fuel cell green, then the mustard colored rectangle. I put the "flammable and "do not smoke within 50 feet" labels on in dry transfer rub-off lettering (the old Lettraset sets). Then I carefully spraypainted a thin layer of the same green paint over that, till it all got a weathered look. Halfway, I overwrote the MOGAS (?) label with "DF1-F54" as I have in the picture of a real fuel cell. Some more green was sprayed over. Then I did the oil and rust streaks with heavily diluted oil paint+Turpentine.
After some practice, I think I get away with the technique. Sadly I did not stop quickly enough so the whole fuel cell looks very messy - probably way too messy to look real. Then again, the last time I took my audi to the carwash was in April, so why would army fuel trucks look more clean ?
 _GOTOTOP