_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M16's and the 3rd AD
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 10:47 PM UTC
Once upon a time, I was told of a story that I would like to do a dio on. A buddy of my dad's was in the 3rd AD in France/Belgium WWII. He told of a story about they would use and M16 MGC to
decimate/soften up hedge rows before bringing the tanks up. I would go to him, but unfortunately he is suffering from Alzhiemer's/Dimentia so... I am trying to research a couple of things here in preperation for the new dio.

1) I would like to know if anyone could help me find out what AA units might have been active within the 3rd AD? What unit markings would have been on the M16MGC?

2) I have the Eduward PE set, I was thinking I would also like to do the drive/idler, I know there is a couple different ones out there, so I would like to get opinions on both to see which had the least problems...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Paul
Frag
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 437 posts
Armorama: 292 posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2005 - 01:14 AM UTC
Paul,

here's a link to 3rd AD order of battle in WWII. There are several AA units.HTH
http://www.3ad.org/wwii/wwii_order_of_battle.htm
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2005 - 03:23 AM UTC
http://www.tigermodels.com/shop/tws/10308

For ease with replacement sprockets for your half track, maybe these by TWS. You have to order them by Monday 9/19 however, because the line is in the process of being sold by Tigermodels.

Another set was made by K59 (from Hong Kong) but are a little more pricey and harder to find.
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 2,220 posts
Armorama: 1,707 posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2005 - 04:23 AM UTC
The K59 set is the best on the market. It can be purchased from Mission Models or R&J.
Delta42
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 616 posts
Armorama: 511 posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2005 - 10:06 AM UTC
I agree with Sticky, the K59 set is the best. I have used both, and the TWS set requires a lot of sanding and cutting. The K59 set just needs assembly. R&J Products offers several ways to purchase the K59 set. Alone or with other parts, such as replacement front wheels and with pre-fomed tracks. Check out their web site to see all of the options.

Dave
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
Armorama: 541 posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2005 - 01:43 PM UTC
The 486th Anti-Aircraft Bn was ATTACHED to the 3AD from Dec '43 thru VE. At that time, US Divisions did not have organic AAA units. I do not believe there were any other AAA units attached to the 3AD fo rmuch more than a week or so.

The 486th had a HQ and 4 firing batteries, A,B,C,D and had both the M16 GMC(quad-50) and the M15(37mm/twin-50), but I cannot give you any more specifics without some research. I would think that one battery(D?) might be a 90mm battery ??

During the war, they gained the nick-name "Anti-Anything Battalion" because they were used against aircraft, personnel, vehicles, and whatever was available. They are credited with 30 aircraft destroyed, 16 aircraft damaged, and over 200 vehicles destroyed (incl tanks, trucks, artillery, & 2 trains).

Markings:
Technically, the 486th would have been a 1st Army unit, attached to 3AD, and thus would have carried 1st Army bumper markings.
1A-486AAA * X-N
where X= battery (HQ,A,B,C,D) and N=vehicle#

There is nothing to confirm or deny that they may have adopted 3AD markings & replaced the "1A" with a "3(delta)" ...

I have not found a picture of a 486th vehicle to confirm/deny bumper markings. I have seen pictures of AAA vehicles attached to other divisions with various placements depending on front bumper style, etc.

Hope this helps.
John
dogload
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 07:14 PM UTC
Here's a pic from 486th of M16 in the Ardennes-
hope it helps.
MC
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 08:18 PM UTC
Thanks everyone for your input I do appreciate it greatly.
mattvs2004
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 - 09:28 AM UTC
A friend of mine's grandfather was the Executive Officer on Battery C of the 486th AAA. He even documented everything with photos. The 486 was assigned to the 3rd Armored Division as part of Spearhead. From what I understood from 3AD's website, each battalion had its own vehicle markings and each battalion had their own crest/patch. Also if you look up 3rd Armored on wikipedia it actually lists all the AAA units assigned to the 3rd Armored Division. The 486th and the 413th. One was a Gun Battalion, the other was a Auto-Weapon Battalion.

Quoted Text

The 486th Anti-Aircraft Bn was ATTACHED to the 3AD from Dec '43 thru VE. At that time, US Divisions did not have organic AAA units. I do not believe there were any other AAA units attached to the 3AD fo rmuch more than a week or so.

The 486th had a HQ and 4 firing batteries, A,B,C,D and had both the M16 GMC(quad-50) and the M15(37mm/twin-50), but I cannot give you any more specifics without some research. I would think that one battery(D?) might be a 90mm battery

During the war, they gained the nick-name "Anti-Anything Battalion" because they were used against aircraft, personnel, vehicles, and whatever was available. They are credited with 30 aircraft destroyed, 16 aircraft damaged, and over 200 vehicles destroyed (incl tanks, trucks, artillery, & 2 trains).

Markings:
Technically, the 486th would have been a 1st Army unit, attached to 3AD, and thus would have carried 1st Army bumper markings.
1A-486AAA * X-N

There is nothing to confirm or deny that they may have adopted 3AD markings & replaced the "1A" with a "3(delta)" ...

I have not found a picture of a 486th vehicle to confirm/deny bumper markings. I have seen pictures of AAA vehicles attached to other divisions with various placements depending on front bumper style, etc.

Hope this helps.
John

ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 - 01:52 PM UTC
Matt: welcome to Armorama and thnx for your info. You might want to contact the OP directly b/c he posed the question in 2005. Be mindful of resurrecting long dormant threads
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 683 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 - 02:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Th I would think that one battery(D?) might be a 90mm battery ??

Markings:
1A-486AAA * X-N

Hope this helps.
John

AAA(AW) Battalions did not have any 90mm guns. Those were organic to AAA Battalions. From late 1944, especially during the Bulge, some units had 90mm Batteries attached for anti-tank defense. These however remained under the TO&E of their original units. Some AAA units, would have been attached to Corps, while others (for example my Dad's) were subject to 12 Army Group.

You might try contacting the Air Defense Museum, now at Ft Sill OK, or the Patton Museum at I believe Ft Benning for further help.
Cobrahistorian
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 710 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 - 03:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Th I would think that one battery(D?) might be a 90mm battery ??

Markings:
1A-486AAA * X-N

Hope this helps.
John

It is entirely feasible that they did adopt 3Delta markings rather than 1A, since the 3rd Armored also served under 9th Army (and 3rd Army, I'm pretty sure), but they stayed with the division when it switched Armies.

AAA(AW) Battalions did not have any 90mm guns. Those were organic to AAA Battalions. From late 1944, especially during the Bulge, some units had 90mm Batteries attached for anti-tank defense. These however remained under the TO&E of their original units. Some AAA units, would have been attached to Corps, while others (for example my Dad's) were subject to 12 Army Group.

You might try contacting the Air Defense Museum, now at Ft Sill OK, or the Patton Museum at I believe Ft Benning for further help.

You've pretty much covered it, but if there are any additional questions, I'm happy to help out. We've got tons of information on WWII AAA units here at the ADA Museum and have two M16 and one M15 halftrack in the collection (not to mention two 90mm AA guns, an M1A1 and M2). AAA(AW) battalions were comprised of halftracks and 40mm bofors guns. In addition to AAA (AW) and AAA Gun battalions, there were also barrage balloon battalions and searchlight battalions.

WWII AAA(AW) battalions for the most part were attached to a division for a significant amount of time, although in some cases not for the entire war. Quite often an AAA(AW) battalion would be used to protect a division's artillery battalions. I've paid particular attention to the 453rd AAA(AW) since they were attached to my grandfather's division (83rd) for the duration.

Drop me a PM if you've got any particular questions. If I don't know off the top of my head, we certainly have plenty of files here!

v/r

Jon Bernstein
Director
US Army Air Defense Artillery Museum
Ft. Sill, OK

mattvs2004
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 01:15 AM UTC
If anyone knows where I can purchase a model of the M16 Half-Track model with the 3AD markings as well as the 486th AAA markings, please let me know. Thanks.
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,846 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 02:48 AM UTC
There is also a 3AD page on FB. I am not sure where to point you in the direction of decals, but I might suggest that if you could make up some stencils from heavy card stock this might be a cheaper way to go assuming that you can find a good picture of the bumpers and use that as your template. Good luck
mattvs2004
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 04:06 AM UTC
I've actually seen several 1:32 scale models of the M16 Half-Track on ebay and elsewhere, some say 3rd Armored, but what numbers or decals determine if the vehicle was assigned to the 486 AAA or one of the other AAA units? Is there a specific number I should look for say on the side of the vehicle? PMs and emails welcome.

Incidentally I found this one on the 3rd Armored's website:

http://www.3ad.com/history/at.ease/models.pages/m16.halftrack.htm

Note: They specify that this one is from the 486 AAA.
mattvs2004
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2012 - 10:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've actually seen several 1:32 scale models of the M16 Half-Track on ebay and elsewhere, some say 3rd Armored, but what numbers or decals determine if the vehicle was assigned to the 486 AAA or one of the other AAA units? Is there a specific number I should look for say on the side of the vehicle? PMs and emails welcome.

Update: Okay, so I found a photo online that shows the vehicle markings I think I'm looking for:

http://www.armyrecognition.com/europe/Belgique/exhibition/Tanks_in_Town_2005/pictures/M16_HalfTrack_Tanks_in_Town_2005_01.JPG

U.S.A. 4061377

3 Triangle Shape 486 AA

If anyone knows where I can find a model of this kind, that would be great.
jowady
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2012 - 04:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

U.S.A. 4061377

3 Triangle Shape 486 AA

If anyone knows where I can find a model of this kind, that would be great.

Well Dragon has a kit of the M16 in 1/35th scale as does Tamiya. The Tamiya is a much older kit and the Dragon has generally better detail but is a little fiddly to build. Right off hand I cannot recall what the kit decals are but you can order dry transfers from Archer for US Bumper Codes and registration numbers. Archer's website is:

http://www.archertransfers.com/

mattvs2004
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 03:51 PM UTC
Well I looked at the Dragon model finally. Doesn't have the necessary markings. As for the Tamiya, I'm still looking into that one. Not much luck though. If I could find someone who has the Liberator Series 1:32 model#81003, it should have the necessary markings.

Quoted Text

Well Dragon has a kit of the M16 in 1/35th scale as does Tamiya. The Tamiya is a much older kit and the Dragon has generally better detail but is a little fiddly to build. Right off hand I cannot recall what the kit decals are but you can order dry transfers from Archer for US Bumper Codes and registration numbers. Archer's website is:

http://www.archertransfers.com/

Cobrahistorian
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 710 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 10:34 PM UTC
Matt,

I wouldn't worry about the markings, focus on the kit. You can get aftermarket markings to make the exact vehicle you want, but giving up on the quality of the Dragon kit because it doesn't have the right decals is going to set back your project a bit.

Let me know if you need any references. We've got two M16s and it looks like we're going to have an M16A1 by the end of the month.

v/r

Jon
mattvs2004
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 - 01:55 AM UTC
Okay. No problem there. On top of the markings I was also trying to decide on size. 1/18 vs 1/32. Which will have better detail?
jowady
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 - 02:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Okay. No problem there. On top of the markings I was also trying to decide on size. 1/18 vs 1/32. Which will have better detail?

Well if you want to go all out you can get the trumpeter kit in 1/16th. Very expensive option as well as difficult to find after-market decals

http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=TR00911

It seems to me though from the scales you are quoting and some brand names that you may not be looking for a model kit, rather an already assembled example such as Forces of Valor. Say, something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Scale-Bravo-Multiple-Motor-Carriage/dp/B0029SG3XE/ref=sr_1_34?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1338605858&sr=1-34

If I'm wrong just disregard. But the aftermarket decals that we haave been talking about are in 1/35th, very uncommon in other scales. They might work for 1/32nd but would be a little small.
mattvs2004
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 06:21 AM UTC
Hmmm. Yeah I looked at the Forces of Valor models. Strangely enough the Liberator series, Forces of Valor Series, Unimax Series and so on are all supposed to be the exact same model in 1:32 scale and all have the same product number #81003. The Liberator Series model listed on the 3AD website is the main one I was originally looking for because they claimed it had the markings from the 486th. But if I could find the aftermarket decals for the 486, I think I should be able to apply them to any of those models.
jowady
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 05:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmmm. Yeah I looked at the Forces of Valor models. Strangely enough the Liberator series, Forces of Valor Series, Unimax Series and so on are all supposed to be the exact same model in 1:32 scale and all have the same product number #81003. The Liberator Series model listed on the 3AD website is the main one I was originally looking for because they claimed it had the markings from the 486th. But if I could find the aftermarket decals for the 486, I think I should be able to apply them to any of those models.

See, I doubt that you will ever find those specific decals. When I made vehicles for my Father's unit I bought the Archer bumper codes sheet

http://www.archertransfers.com/AR35065W.html

and registration and serial number sheet. They are dry transfer which I find difficult to work with but I transferred them to decal paper and I was done. With these sheets you can make any US bumper code for the war.
mattvs2004
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 07:39 AM UTC
Perfect thats what I was looking for. Is the paper background blue and not the actual decal? What size model would this fit?
jowady
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 06:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Perfect thats what I was looking for. Is the paper background blue and not the actual decal? What size model would this fit?

They are 1/35th scale, in a pinch they could fit 1/32nd but would be a little small. As for the decal film itself here's a link

http://www.archertransfers.com/AR22002.html

_GOTOTOP