_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
USMC Sherman
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 06:13 AM UTC
Friends--I posted three views of my Italeri M-4 Sherman in progress. They are in the MSN Armorama Album under "USMC Sherman." To view, I went to posting images and then put my photos in a new album. I have the Eduard PE on her. Their screen set is nice, the .50 is done and will be added. The side boards are a DJ creation using Basswood and slates. I now have the track on and the side boards placed against the road wheels. The 75mm main gun is a piece of plastic shaped to size. Very easy to do and came out quite nicely. I will begin applying a green mottle camouflage pattern today and she should be ready for final pictures. You will no doubt notice that the rear water vent is crooked. I did not notice that during the gluing process she slipped. DUH! Now what?
I warmly welcome comments.
thanks
DJ
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 08:15 AM UTC
DJ - nice pictures. The model should come out nicely in the end. As for the alignment of the rear wading truck - I wouldn't lose sleep over getting it perfectly aligned. Historical photos show all kinds of attachment and alignment "mishaps" with them. They weren't meant to last a long time, nor look great. In fitting a set to my M7 105mm HMC (Early) I stared at photos of the Priest wearing them for a long time, and decided not to try and make them balls-on aligned with each other.

I'm curious about the "USMC" on the sides of the wooden applique armor. Is that vinyl tape to mask a previously painted color - or are you doing something else interesting to the model?

Gunnie
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 08:21 AM UTC
DJ,

Finally found your photos, for starters it looks good. I am assuming that the sand color is either a primer and/or base color for your camo. What I could tell, since you added PE, why did you not upgrade the road wheel bogies? There are bolts that secure the skid plates and the support roller mount. Also apparently three bolts on bottom of bogie. Finally there should be four bolt holes on the front side of bogies (opposite positon of support roller mount) as bogies were reversable. See bogies from Kencelot at M4A1 group build.

I have been sniffing Dry-erase Markers here at work and am now a little light-headed #:-) , so I can take another look tonight after a beer and some peanuts clear my head

You are a lot farther along on your M4A2 than I. I've only opened the box

Jeff
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 08:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

DJ - nice pictures. The model should come out nicely in the end. As for the alignment of the rear wading truck - I wouldn't lose sleep over getting it perfectly aligned. Historical photos show all kinds of attachment and alignment "mishaps" with them. They weren't meant to last a long time, nor look great. In fitting a set to my M7 105mm HMC (Early) I stared at photos of the Priest wearing them for a long time, and decided not to try and make them balls-on aligned with each other.

I'm curious about the "USMC" on the sides of the wooden applique armor. Is that vinyl tape to mask a previously painted color - or are you doing something else interesting to the model?

Gunnie

Gunnie---I fabricated the side boards. The model supplied ones are horrible. I then bought a set of 1/4 inch stencils . I painted the area white, applied the stencil letters for "USMC" and after placing the camo job on it, I shall take the stencil letters off. My end goal is to have a white USMC against the background. I put the tracks on last night. I also will place a stenciled vehicle number on the turret and the rear of the vehicle. The .50 has me drooling. It looks good.
DJ
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 08:32 AM UTC
For anyone who can't find the album, here it is: USMC Sherman

That's an interesting piece of armor! Do I see some slightly damaged roadwheels?
... Looks good. :-)

YodaMan
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 08:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

DJ,

Finally found your photos, for starters it looks good. I am assuming that the sand color is either a primer and/or base color for your camo. What I could tell, since you added PE, why did you not upgrade the road wheel bogies? There are bolts that secure the skid plates and the support roller mount. Also apparently three bolts on bottom of bogie. Finally there should be four bolt holes on the front side of bogies (opposite positon of support roller mount) as bogies were reversable. See bogies from Kencelot at M4A1 group build.

I have been sniffing Dry-erase Markers here at work and am now a little light-headed #:-) , so I can take another look tonight after a beer and some peanuts clear my head

You are a lot farther along on your M4A2 than I. I've only opened the box

Jeff

Jeff--I would open myself up to an embarassing point if I told you I did not refer to the instruction sheet while building the roadwheels (hell, I built Shermans for years why would I look at the instruction sheet). So, super "DUH DJ" and 25 push ups for the road wheels which I tried to conceal with the side boards. Whip me, beat me over the rivets! They have been a bear to find and place. The great Pipe Smoker gave me some Grandt bolts which will go on and hopefully follow the pattern correctly. You will also note when I post the final shots that the bolts are the large Grandt type. I think they really stand out and make the model look more realistic.
thanks again for your comments and please hit me again tonight.
DJ

Ps-- how was I suppose to reference the album?
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 08:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For anyone who can't find the album, here it is: USMC Sherman

That's an interesting piece of armor! Do I see some slightly damaged roadwheels?
... Looks good. :-)

YodaMan

Mr. Yoda--great to hear from you again. I did damage the roadwheels after getting some pointers from Bob Morales. More to follow.
DJ
tankshack
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 09:08 AM UTC
DJ,
The model looks really nice. I like the hatch armor and the boards on the sides.

The wading gear is actually a lot nicer than I expected it would be in an Italeri kit!

I really like seeing the in progress shots...

Are you planning to do much in the way of pre-shading? The light colored primer will make it rather easy to make the OD look faded and "shadowed".

Did the Eduard set include much for detailing the wading gear? Items for creating the rigging and other little gadgets that were part of the wading gear?

Later,
Tim
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 11:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

DJ,
The model looks really nice. I like the hatch armor and the boards on the sides.

The wading gear is actually a lot nicer than I expected it would be in an Italeri kit!

I really like seeing the in progress shots...

Are you planning to do much in the way of pre-shading? The light colored primer will make it rather easy to make the OD look faded and "shadowed".

Did the Eduard set include much for detailing the wading gear? Items for creating the rigging and other little gadgets that were part of the wading gear?

Later,
Tim

Tim--yes I plan to shade the base color and add a greent mottle camouflage. The Eduard PE has a great deal of interesting parts. I placed their chains on all the fuel caps, the creen on the wader is from the PE and looks nice. The brush guards are from the PE. I like the .50 parts. Having said that, it cost me $30. Is it worth it. Well, I'd endorse it if for nothing else the hatch screens. The model cost some $22 plus SH. Everyman for himself. I will tell you that I am convinced for 90% of my work I can fabricate as well as any PE. When you get the Italeri model, exam the side boards. I thought they were terrible. Also, I am using (more or less) the Osprey Sherman book as a guide.
DJ
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 11:56 AM UTC
DJ, she looks a beauty thus far. I can hardly wait to get mine started. I really like the idea of your sencils on the wood planking. A nice touch. I like the paint scheme idea too. Mmmm.
Please post more of her as you progress or complete.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 01:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

DJ, she looks a beauty thus far. I can hardly wait to get mine started. I really like the idea of your sencils on the wood planking. A nice touch. I like the paint scheme idea too. Mmmm.
Please post more of her as you progress or complete.

Ken--danke. Can you tell me how I am to reference posting shots to the Armorama Album on MSN?
thanks
DJ
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 02:04 PM UTC
DJ, do you mean, how do you post the pics inside the posts here?
A link to the pics or the actual picture here?
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 - 01:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

DJ, do you mean, how do you post the pics inside the posts here?
A link to the pics or the actual picture here?

Ken--I am trying to figure out how I link people to the album.
thanks
DJ
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 - 02:12 AM UTC
DJ--To link people to the album as YodaMan did earlier follow these steps:

1) open up another browser window and go to your album in it.
2) use the "[url=]" tag that Jim has provided on the message post screen.
3) it will put this in your Post Text box: "[url=http://put.url.here|linkname[url]" (I replaced the ']' with a '|' in the first url= box and removed the '' from the second url= box so that the actual tags would appear in my post)
4) where the "http://blah blah" is you shoudl copy the url from the other browser window
5) where the "linkname" text is supply some name such as "My USMC Sherman"

HTH

BTW, your Sherman is looking very good! I would be very interested if you could explain to me how to do the pre-shading technique. Maybe we could get together over a cup of coffee sometime like we talked about a while back to discuss this and the Tamiya T-34 that you wanted to talk with me about?
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 - 04:20 AM UTC
Adam--so that's how it is done! Appreciate your guidance. I am hoping to complete the Sherman by the week end. I am going to get blasted for the covers on the running gear which are my own creation. However, I thought it made the model more interesting. I also found (thanks to your) the Grandt line bolts which I think compliment the vehicle very nicely. So, if Mommy comes home from work on time and we finish dinner without the distraction of the elections, I should complete the paint job. I am going to hand paint the pattern not trusting myself with the airbrush for the fine detail work yet.
thanks
DJ
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 08:43 AM UTC
DJ,very fine looking Sherman To think I wasted mine on a conversion using a Tank Workshop early T23 turret It will have 752nd tank battallion markings-Italy 1945 One of these days I'll make a Pacific war Sherman Problem is no USMC markings available
Chad #:-)
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 08:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

DJ,very fine looking Sherman To think I wasted mine on a conversion using a Tank Workshop early T23 turret It will have 752nd tank battallion markings-Italy 1945 One of these days I'll make a Pacific war Sherman Problem is no USMC markings available
Chad #:-)

Amigo--USMC markings should be easy to replicate. They used turret numbers and always have a USMC posted somewhere. I have not seen a USMC Sherman with bumper markings usually found on USA vehicles. Osprey has a great lay out on Shermans from three of the six Marine WW II Divisions. I used it to guide my efforts. I unveiled the stencil USMC shown on the side boards the other day and will police them to photograph this weekend. Nice kit and certainly a welcomed addition to any collection
 _GOTOTOP