_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Panzer I Ausf A (Tristar) Finally finished
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 02:25 PM UTC
I had been a good boy in the weekend, finally finished my over-dued Panzer I Ausf A from Tristar with Aber tool holder. If you like German armor, and don't have this little gem yet, you should definitely go get one...Any comments/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 08:43 PM UTC
Good work SS. This does indeed look a nice model. What about the 2 figures that came with it?
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 08:50 PM UTC
Hi Plasticbattle, Thank you for your nice words, I am saving the 2 figures for a later day while my modelling skill improves, now, I don't think I can do them justice. Anyhow, I still got myself another Panzer I, I might come around build it with figures.... Thanks.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2002 - 12:16 AM UTC
Not meaning to be too judgemental but if it was my model, I would go for a bit more weathering and contrast. I think the exhaust and track could do with a little rust. The track and road wheels seem to be too much the same colour! Maybe even a little paint-chipping (I havent mastered that myself either yet). It still looks good but these are just my opinions! As long as you are happy yourself, thats the main thing
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2002 - 02:00 AM UTC
Hi PlasticBattle,

Thank you for your comments again, I always find your thoughts very helpful. To tell the truth, I had gone a little chicken on this Pz 1 Ausf A, I think my idea is to try to duplicate a tank that just went into war for a week or two, maybe the beginning of the Polish Campaign. So I didn't add much rust, and as for the rust on tracks, I don't really buy this idea, I think polished really shiny and muddy maybe, but just can't visualize a constant moving part has rust on it... But it's just me... I spray a thin coat of mud color on the substructure, hence from the picture the wheels and the tracks looked very similar in color. You are absolutely right, I check the picture again myself. My next AFV I think you will like, it's a very battered Tiger I of the 2nd SS Panzer Division after Kursk....

Thanks Plasticbattle.
Spider
Visit this Community
South Africa
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2002 - 02:57 AM UTC
Great Model, I like the exhaust covers, my zvezda model does not have them and I like the look of them very much. I was wondering if the German markings were in fact the brownish colors you have done - I have never seen them done like that. I would be interested to know.

Well done to paint and build an entire model so quickly - just like me - I am to impatient and cannot wait to see the end result.
ponysoldier
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 223 posts
Armorama: 110 posts
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2002 - 07:11 AM UTC
SS74

This is great work your subtle weathering is fine effect , sometimes not
seen nowdays.
Keep up the great work.

Ponysoldier
lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 340 posts
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2002 - 11:32 AM UTC
Yes the light weathering is a nice feature not sean very much of but i kinda like heavey weTHERING. Anways Nice Model ss looks perfect almost. lol
Branden
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2002 - 11:46 AM UTC
Very nice !
What did you use for your weathering ? paint only or pastels also ?
Matrix
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 528 posts
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2002 - 01:20 PM UTC
Looks very nice. The weathering looks great, althoug im a heavy weathering guy. But I think it looks great the way you did it.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2002 - 02:14 PM UTC
Spider,

The Tristar kit comes with Aber PE exhaust screen, if you like Pz I, the Tristar kit is the best in the market now, comes with Modelkasten tracks. It's a dream to build. Thank you for your confidence in my speed of finishing this project, it actually took me 2 months on and off....The tracks are a bit tricky to put together.

Branden/Pony/PenPen/Matrix,

Glad you like my light weathering, I mainly use wash/airbrush/pastel for weathering. Still don't know how to do dry brush effectively....
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 851 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 07:22 AM UTC
I am suprised at the fact that you do not know how to drybrush effectively. Your models are certainly not worse for it. The subtle highlights that drybrushing creates are desireable though. I had to do alot drybrushing for the Panther that I completed due to the zimmerit. I am by no means a pro at it but I believe that I can do it effectively. What part of the process is giving your trouble?

Andrew

SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 01:59 PM UTC
Andrew,

I know the "How-To" of dry burshing, it just seems that I can never do it well, I think maybe it got a lot to do with my impatience. So I kinda give it up and move to using pastel to do most of the weathering....
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 12:04 AM UTC
Have you got some factory going on their what 4 models in about a month. Okay give it up Dave has the ole lady been helping , you playing hooky from work to build what is it. Great Job again Dave. Really nice work
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 03:02 AM UTC
Drybrushing isnt everything either. I guess its all to do with artistic license.
A lot of the recent articles in miliary modelling by the likes of Steve Zaloga actually state that they try to avoid as much drybrushing as possible. Probably because its false. No point having a perfect replica model and then adding a false perspective. Suppose its up to the individual. Now you have an excuse why you dont drybrush???
I like it is an effect though and now that I have an airbrush, a filter over the top blends it in well. Just my nonsical view!!
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 04:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Have you got some factory going on their what 4 models in about a month. Okay give it up Dave has the ole lady been helping , you playing hooky from work to build what is it. Great Job again Dave. Really nice work

Just my normal 4 hours session in front of the TV, General. Benefit of not being married, and of course my dog has been helpful in chew the parts from the trees....

Thanks for your kind words again, how is that big dio consists of millions of tank coming along? Or you are building another T-Rex? #:-)
StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 357 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 01:01 PM UTC
SS-74,

I think your model looks good. Weathering on models always brings up big debates, but there is room for both the well-used look, and the newer look. It all just depends on the environment that the vehicle you are modelling has been through. A great modeler can master both techniques!

How was the construction of the tracks? I love the model, but really despise tedious tracks!

Stuke
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 01:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

SS-74,

I think your model looks good. Weathering on models always brings up big debates, but there is room for both the well-used look, and the newer look. It all just depends on the environment that the vehicle you are modelling has been through. A great modeler can master both techniques!

How was the construction of the tracks? I love the model, but really despise tedious tracks!

Stuke

Hi Stuke, thank you for your comment.

The tracks a bit tricky to put together, on the instruction it says using a double-sided tape, then line up the link and pin them. But the first time I tried it, when the glue is dry and I prepare to take the tracks from the tape, it fell apart. Because the tape is too sticky. So the next trial I moisture the tape a bit to loose some stickness of the tape. And it worked out fine. Hope it helps in your construction of this particular track.
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 12:55 PM UTC
Thanks for all that info SS74 ! I just got the model this afternoon !
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 12:57 PM UTC
PenPen, if you wanna go full lot, there will be an interior set for it next week too...

Either way, enjoy the build, I think you will like it.
Bender
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 01:58 PM UTC
Man great job SS-74, very nice. I agree with you about the tracks, no place for heavy rust on a part of the machine constantly in the dirt, and taking the abuse the tracks take. IMHO.

Bender
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 05:29 AM UTC
SS, no I'll go for a straight and "simple" build.
In france, there's a company selling the kit + conversion stuff + interior detail to make a flakpanzer I. And it's already out in the shop !
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 01:25 PM UTC
There was a nice review/build up account in the latest "Military Modelling" magazine about this. You might want to check it out!
 _GOTOTOP