Hosted by Darren Baker
Carentan Damaged building update...
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 08:50 AM UTC
For those of you that were interested I reworked my damaged building for my Carentan dio. I would like to know if this was better done than my first attempt? Please let me know what you think of the brick work with the stucco finish, and wether or not the ceiling/floor fits the bill. All work is from scratch, with the exception of the bricks they are Hudson Allen bricks. The floor/ceiling will be further damaged, but I find the results are better when you build it first, then destroy it. (If that made sence). The large cracks in the wall will be given a shadow and then refilled slightly to give it a rougher edge. The walls will be repainted to inhance the layers of stucco. The ceiling still needs the plaster applied, then broken apart. The impression I am trying to give with the brick wall is that of one that may come crashing down at any minute. The slight curve/buldge to the walls are intentional, to better give the feel of signicant damage. I tried to recreate from other scenes of destruction. I hope I was successful... Thanks for looking.

Paul

tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 1,430 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 09:47 AM UTC
Paul...I look at your progress here..and all i can say is WOW...That is outstanding work. Looking at it..i can say that you have definately achieved the effect you were after. I look at it..and i feel as if at any moment the whole thing is gonna come crashing down. Great work thus far...can't wait to see progress pics again...I am so looking forward to seeing this one in person..BTW...when is the next Margarita/Scotch nite..
tango20
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 336 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 09:55 AM UTC
Hi Paul

Outstanding work you have got a real effect of a damaged building with great attention to detail love the brick work and the interior damage cracks and plaster damage very effective will be following this interest looking forward to more progress pics.
Cheers Chris
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 10:54 AM UTC
Paul, its looking great!! I love the brick work and the wood work looks much better. My only critique for you is the I believe the plaster ceiling for the first floor? The plaster looks removed in to uniform a pattern. i think the best way to do paster ceilings is to start with some thin paper and coat it with a light layer of Spackle then rip it down in a tearing motion. you then have piles of scale plaster ceiling on the floor and hanging fragments from the torn up ceiling. The flooring and lathe work is exceptional and exactly what I have come to expect from you The brick work is just amazing, I love it!! Looking forward to seeing this in person, when is the next scotch night? lol Cheers Kevin
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 11:04 AM UTC
I agree with the previous posts. The brick work is great.
Couple of things- what's the plan for the floor joists? Whole, or broken?
The roll of wall paper on the right side doesn't look realistic. It may be on the 'to do' list already.
Good re-work
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 01:33 PM UTC
Kevin, hard to tell but I haven't done the plaster work yet to the ceiling all you see is the cardboard for the back undamaged area. I will apply a thin layer of plaster to the lathe and then break it up a bit.

Scott, the floor joists will be broken and splintered in the area of the damage. The interior design I am still working on so there is more detail to follow like the wood work and so on. I will retrim the roll of wallpaper. Some of those details still need to be worked out and I didn't want to short myself on materials. Thanks, guys I really appreciate the comments.

Kevin and Mary already know that this will be one of my entries into the Nationals in KC next year. So I am working really hard to keep it top quality. With all your help, thanks.

Paul

Scotch did someone mention scotch???
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 06:10 PM UTC
Amazing work Paul. The wood/brick work is very impressive.
Sensei
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 799 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 10:36 PM UTC
Impressive work, nice looking damaged house.

I wish i can make something similar...

Mirko
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 11:17 PM UTC
Love it Paul. Often can be too easy to 'short-change' a damaged building as just a backdrop for an AFV for example... One query though- On the outside wall in your second pic it maybe looks too uniform where the cracks in the render are. Maybe have one of those sections within the cracks removed to show the brickwork? Just a thought
Brad
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 12:35 AM UTC
Looks great so far Paul, Keep us posted.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 12:47 AM UTC
Impressive attention to detail !

Roof ?

nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 01:24 AM UTC
Yes, there will be a partial roof. I have my dio loosely based on the opening scene in Band of Brothers with the attack on Carentan. The most recognizable feature will be the Cafe de Normandie.

Thanks for all the comments and I will take them into advisement, but I think I am stuck with the way the bricks are but maybe I can make them a little more jagged if my contruction methods don't bite me back. I think I may have built it too well. LOL's
BigJon
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 757 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 02:19 AM UTC
Really glad to see you got some progress made on that Paul, it looks fantastic mate.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 03:38 PM UTC
Fantastic flooring and rafter section! Are your wall bricks from the HANSA SYSTEMS series?
Parks20
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 737 posts
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2005 - 10:49 AM UTC
Paul, that looks fantastic. Keep working at it, and address whats already been said. Your on the way to a top notch dio. Keep us posted.
tutdiesel
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 251 posts
Armorama: 187 posts
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2005 - 12:39 PM UTC
I love the progress you've made so far.....any chance we can see some of the figs you plan on using??
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 11:43 PM UTC
Thanks for the responses...

Keith, no they are not they are Hudson Allen.

Matthew, I have the whole range of Nemrod US Paratroopers + (many doubles) for converstions. I have a numeber of other makers as well. Warriors, Resination, to name a few. If there is US Para made I probalby have it! I have only begun to clean them up for prep work and I am still figureing out the converstions as I build the dio, (in relation to where they will be placed) and fitting them into the scene.

I will do my best to keep up the postings.

Paul
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 11:43 PM UTC
Thanks for the responses...

Keith, no they are not they are Hudson Allen.

Matthew, I have the whole range of Nemrod US Paratroopers + (many doubles) for converstions. I have a numeber of other makers as well. Warriors, Resination, to name a few. If there is US Para made I probalby have it! I have only begun to clean them up for prep work and I am still figureing out the converstions as I build the dio, (in relation to where they will be placed) and fitting them into the scene.

I will do my best to keep up the postings.

Paul
dvs911
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 64 posts
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2006 - 03:01 PM UTC
Very nice thanks for sharing with us!
wito28
Visit this Community
Adana, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 18 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2006 - 03:30 PM UTC
It is very nice and good wood work
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2006 - 11:53 PM UTC
Hi Paul,
sorry that i am late to this thread

You did a beautiful work on the brickwall. I especially like the big crack within the bricks.
I have some doubt about the size of your big support pieces of wood for he floor. At least they look big on the photo.
Do you have another photo (from ground level) to better appreciate the walls bulge ?

Cheers
Claude

cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 01:29 AM UTC
Paul, I also missed the Oct. 05 post on this, it's fantastic, very real.
Now where are the newer pics. this is looking great.
Cheyenne
 _GOTOTOP