_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Universal Carrier Tracks
goose
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 200 posts
Armorama: 185 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 09:05 AM UTC
I am half way through my Churchill tank and plan to put in diorama with a Univeral Carrier - I think its US designation is T16.

I have three questions-

1. Does anyone know a UK supplier for individual track links (I think its modelkasten) for the UC.

2. Has anyone got some pictures of the interior of the driving compartment of a UC.

3. Does the UC use the same links as a Stuart light tank?

Any other tips or info would be gratfully accepted!
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 09:09 AM UTC
The American T16 carrier was larger by a considerable amount then an ordinary carrier. It also differed in a lot of other ways to the British/Commonwealth version.

I suggest you do a Google search using T16 Carrier as a search topic. This should also give you the pics you need for the drivers compartment. Once again they differed depending on where the carrier was made (british/ Australian/ New Zealand etc)

I am sure the tracks were not the same as the Stuart light tank but others may know for sure.

cheers
Cliff
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 09:24 AM UTC
Goose, try here: Maple Leaf Up

To aid you in finding the indi tracks, as you suggested Model Kasten makes them for the UC: kit # mak16 Universal Carrier Tracks. No idea who in the UK carries them though.
MonkeyGun
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 943 posts
Armorama: 825 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 09:26 AM UTC
Hi Goose

Looks like we are working on a smiliar project except im doing a dio with a cromwell

You may find this site of some use it has some nice interior shots

http://www.geocities.com/t16carrier/gallery.html

p.s. you may have considered this allready but paint/weather the troop compartments before attaching the hull sides there pretty deep and difficult to access
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 09:37 AM UTC
Accurate Armour are the best place for modelkasten in Britain and their service is fantastic.

Alternatively the new resicast update and conversion sets now include white metal link and length tracks, which would be a lot easier to work with than indy links.

regards

Joe
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 11:41 AM UTC
Regarding your query about perhaps using the same tracks as an M3/M5 Light tank: They were absolutely different. Width, track pitch- everything. Sorry. MK or Resicast are your best options.
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,339 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 01:28 PM UTC

Only decent two I got.. there was two of them displayed at the local fair.. Sorry but the sun was really getting low

Dave
DODGE01RT
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 545 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 02:33 PM UTC
Here are a couple that I have.They were taken last Nov 11.

Jim
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 05:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Univeral Carrier - I think its US designation is T16.

You may have guessed, but I wanted to make it clear that the T16 is NOT the same as a Universal Carrier. The T16 was an American vehicle that was most similar to, but. again, not exactly the same as the Commonwealth Windsor Carrier. Generally it had a similar layout as the UC, but was one road wheel longer with a somewhat different suspension.

Quoted Text

Any other tips or info would be gratfully accepted!

One fo the Aussie guys here on Armorama has been building an absolute crackerjack UC adding a lot of the extra detail Tamiya omitted. You could do a lot worse than to search the back message threads and look over his photos. The last post was only a few weeks ago.

HTH

Paul
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 06:45 AM UTC
I recommend getting the MK tracks. They have a lot of parts, but the advantage is that they're styrene (easier to glue) and can be posed more freely. The resin tracks come in lenghts, and must be bent in order to fit on the sprockets.
goose
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 200 posts
Armorama: 185 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 07:29 AM UTC
Hello all,
Thank you all for you replies

The pictures on the post will come in handy for the interior. Some references I read were far from clear - thanks for clearing up the differences in the vehicles.

One online shop I found advertised T16/Stuart tracks as same part (hence my confusion).

Quoted Text

Hi Goose
Looks like we are working on a smiliar project except im doing a dio with a cromwell

- I would be interested in seeing some pictures of that!

Happy modeling all! Thanks...
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 04:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If this is the post you were referring to Paul, thanks for the comments but I'm a Brit not an Aussie. If it wasn't then please ignore the previous sentence

Nope, it was you I was refering to.

Now I don't know if I'm in more trouble for mistakenly referring to a Brit as an Aussie or for mistakenly lumping a Pom in with the Australians. :-)

Paul
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 06:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Now I don't know if I'm in more trouble for mistakenly referring to a Brit as an Aussie or for mistakenly lumping a Pom in with the Australians. :-)

Paul

LOL does not matter either way as a surpurb modeler is a supurb modeler regardless of Country of origin

cheers
Cliff :-)
 _GOTOTOP