_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Comet Markings
koschrei
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 134 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 03:42 AM UTC
Being a dumb Yank, I have to ask this question - did the Comet tank carry (I assume the standard Allied) air recognition markings when it was used in Europe in late 1944 thru the end of hostilities? If so what size and what kind of surround.

Looking at images on the web I can't tell. Any good pictures?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Konrad
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 10:41 AM UTC
Hi Konrad... I have the Bison decal sheet for the Cromwell and Comet and they don't give any type of star for the air recognition.

Rick
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 04:38 PM UTC
Without being exact, a Comet in NW Europe should have the star with white surrounding ring if painted to regs. The size should be the same as on Shermans of the period.

All Allied vehicles were required to have the star and a fully marked Comet would be no exception. Now, did every Comet have all the marking it was supposed to? I dare say not, but thems was the regs.

Paul
koschrei
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 134 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 02:53 AM UTC
[quote]Without being exact, a Comet in NW Europe should have the star with white surrounding ring if painted to regs. The size should be the same as on Shermans of the period.

Paul: Thanks! That makes sense to me.

Do you know if it goes it go on the turret or the engin deck? Can I assume the orinetation is the same as on the M4.

Wonder if anybody has seen a marking diagram they can point me to.

Konrad
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 09:47 AM UTC
Paul is dead right. The star on the Comet would be similar to the earlier Cromwell, it's on the top front centre of the turret. BTW the star transfer in the Tamiya Cromwell is an absolute ba****d to put on as it goes right over the ventilator in the turret roof, can't remember offhand if the Comet is the same.
 _GOTOTOP