_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Other British colours
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2005 - 09:54 AM UTC
Hi chaps,

I have a Saladin vehicle to build (unfortunately the CRAP Tamiya kit) and while most British vehicles seem to be painted with Khaki drab (Europe, WW2) or Nato Green and Black, (BAOR/BFG), I've noticed that a lot of older vehicles from the fifties' and sixties' seem to sport a far deeper, darker green. It doesn't appear to be all that uncommon either.

Does anybody know what this was?
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2005 - 10:09 AM UTC
Sounds like you're talking about British Bronze Green, which is a gloss or semi-gloss dark green with an olive tinge quite different from drab. It's available in a tin from Humbrol (sorry can't remember the number). It was applied to all vehicles, tanks, softskins, WHY, from WW2 until the 60s at least (& Dinky toys!). Presumably popular with sergeant-majors as it "bulled up" well. A Saladin would definitely be a candidate for BBG. From what I've seen of the old Tamiya version, you'd be as well buying the old Cresent toy one (fired matchsticks as well!)!
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2005 - 10:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sounds like you're talking about British Bronze Green, which is a gloss or semi-gloss dark green with an olive tinge quite different from drab. It's available in a tin from Humbrol (sorry can't remember the number). It was applied to all vehicles, tanks, softskins, WHY, from WW2 until the 60s at least (& Dinky toys!). Presumably popular with sergeant-majors as it "bulled up" well. A Saladin would definitely be a candidate for BBG. From what I've seen of the old Tamiya version, you'd be as well buying the old Cresent toy one (fired matchsticks as well!)!

Yeah, it does seem to be a sort of semi gloss green but much greener and darker than the usual British colours. Hmm! "British Bronze Green" I'm going to go and find that one. It looks like a great colour.
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2005 - 10:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A Saladin would definitely be a candidate for BBG. From what I've seen of the old Tamiya version, you'd be as well buying the old Cresent toy one (fired matchsticks as well!)!

Agreed, having spent a year trying to get the Tamiya Saladin on eBay without spending an arm and a leg, what turned up (though genuine) is a joke!
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2005 - 01:25 PM UTC
Ah! I've found a pot of the paint in question. Oh dear, it looks rather old, the code is HP4 "British Army Deep Bronze Green", & the pot is kind of rusty, with a sort of faded chequered pattern around the base. May not be available any more then?! Certainly a different number now! Rather a long way to come from Bonnie Scotland to get it methinks, especially since it may well be solid!
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2005 - 01:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi chaps,

I have a Saladin vehicle to build (unfortunately the CRAP Tamiya kit) and while most British vehicles seem to be painted with Khaki drab (Europe, WW2) or Nato Green and Black, (BAOR/BFG), I've noticed that a lot of older vehicles from the fifties' and sixties' seem to sport a far deeper, darker green. It doesn't appear to be all that uncommon either.

Does anybody know what this was?

If it served in Berlin in the sixties, as I believe they did, vehicles at the time (in Berlin) were painted in US Olive Drab.
winchweight
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 513 posts
Armorama: 291 posts
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2005 - 08:33 PM UTC
Hi heres a couple of photos I found whilst researching my Saladin build. I have included a photo of my model, which although it's the Tamiya kit, I played with a bit and have a reasonable model now (I think so anyway)

Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 07:42 AM UTC
Hi Shaun,

Yep, I'd say you made a very nice model out of it. It is a model that really needs work though. It just seems to look like a toy.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 08:42 AM UTC
Winchweight were was the top photo taken was it Fally by any chance?
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 08:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Winchweight were was the top photo taken was it Fally by any chance?

Now you mention it, it does look like Fally!

Wessex?

There's another Saladin in Hohne, which, now that I come to think of it, is painted a deep, dark non "Nato Green" green.... Hmm, where's me camera...
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 07:50 PM UTC
think the one at Hohne might be on the Square O/S the HQ block of were the LD's were and I think you might be right about that being Wessex Bks
winchweight
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 513 posts
Armorama: 291 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 08:36 PM UTC
No idea where it came from. I'm afraid I just found it whilst google-ing. The kit is really just a toy, but with a little work it can be nice sat on your shelf
 _GOTOTOP