To split or not to split?
nicoropi
Visit this Community
Vaud, Switzerland
KitMaker: 243 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 07:21 PM UTC
Dear friends,

I'd like to know the opinion about the following situation, in case you've run though the same issues...

Some weeks ago I was posting the plan and some pictures for my new and first ever dio :

I've made some progress, and now that I have enough tanks and figures to get a better idea of what things will look like, IT LOOKS LIKE THE DIO WILL BE HUGE!!!!
I'm probably going for a 1,5 meter * 1,5 meter base...

So this is causing 2 kind of issues :
- storage, where am I going to put this, it will take half a room!
- little details will be lost in the big crowd. The dio will anyway be a mix of different scene : one hospital, one gun room, one post guard, one watch tower, one AA gun... so it is already a combination of multiple dios...

So I'm considering splitting the dio in 3 or 4.
This would enable me to store each of them easily, and maybe offer some to friends and family.
I could also better concentrate on each scene and make sure it fits well together.

What do you guys think? Have you ever had the same situation? Do you think I would lose a lot of good impression by splitting it?

drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
Armorama: 190 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 07:54 PM UTC
Splitting in several dioramas is a good idea but it requires very good planning.

I have a similar idea where a quite large scene is plit in small pieces that can be looked at individually and as a whole.

I am building a farm this way, occupied by German forces.

The art and difficulty is to make the small scenes sufficiently interesting alone and still "logical" when put together.

Also you need to turn to "standard base plates" amking sure that it all fits together

good luck

nicoropi
Visit this Community
Vaud, Switzerland
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 09:30 PM UTC
Hey Drabslab
Thanks for the tip!
Actualy I wasn't even thinking about putting the parts together at a later stage.
I was thinking about creating independant dios.
They would still probably roughly fit together since they were indeed together at the start, but it is not a strong requirement.
For example I would probably give one of the 3 to my dad, since he helped me a lot!

What d'ya think?

Not sure what's going on with the pix...
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 09:33 PM UTC
Hallo,
Where are your pics ?, i'm seeing only red crosses :-(

I'm actually doing a project i need to split in 9 different parts. I will not do it to see the parts alone, but noneless the dio has height differences of 1 Meter so the maine task is, like drabslab said, to make the parts join exatly.
Exaxt planning is really the key. Where do you make the split ? I think even with careful planing and construction a seam of maybe 0.5 mm is unavoidable, so i am personnally doing the splits behind walls, in forrested areas, parallel to the cobblestone etc.
I suggest to take a look at the technique for modelrailroading with the modulconstruchtion.
As a Swiss you eventually read german , so here is a link that may help
http://www.der-moba.de/index.php/Module_und_Segmente#Design_und_Planung_von_Modulk.C3.A4sten_und_Segmenten

As your point about little detail get lost, i do not think that. At least you will take close photos from everything, so you will need to do everything as good and as correct as a normal dio.

Enough for now, don't hesitate to ask further questions, and please , fix your pics :-

Cheers
Norseman
Visit this Community
Oslo, Norway
KitMaker: 270 posts
Armorama: 177 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 11:27 PM UTC
If your diorama consists of more than one "main story", then you should splitt it.

In my opinion a diorama should never consist of more than one main story (or event). There might be a "sub scene", as long as it not take the focus away from the main story.
nicoropi
Visit this Community
Vaud, Switzerland
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2005 - 03:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If your diorama consists of more than one "main story", then you should splitt it.

Well, yes and no :

Yes, It is telling one main story : life at the German compund,

But mùainly no, there are many stories including a hospital, a field kitchen, a watchpost, a AA gun...

So those could easily be split

I think I'll go for that, it will make life so much easier, apart from the cutting through the big bunker! :-)
 _GOTOTOP