_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Measuring oils
blouie
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 136 posts
Armorama: 125 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 05:09 PM UTC
This seems so simple, yet I can't figure it out. How do you measure oil paint for thinning? Because of their semi-solid nature, I am having a lot of trouble getting the right mix in order to thin oil paints out for washes and filters. Any of you have any techniques you use for this process. I am really worried about ruining my build by over weathering.

Thanks a lot

Branden
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Armorama: 1,458 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 02:33 AM UTC
I usually take a toothpick and slice a 1/8 chunk from the end of the tube and put it in a shallow cup with 4or5 eyedroppers of solvent.It's a good start as you might find some colors or tasks require a differant combo.
cheers!
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 03:04 AM UTC
I've seen the term "pea-sized" used. So I visualize that, and slowly add thinner in a film container lid. Even pea-sized turnes out to to bemore than yo need n a lot of cases. 1/8 inch as posted above may be better.
Pilgrim
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 516 posts
Armorama: 417 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 09:17 PM UTC
The first time I used oils I mixed 3 pea-sized lumps to get a flesh tone, and it was way more than I needed. So now I use a toothpick and a white tile and work with blobs of paint maybe 3mm in diameter. I need so little because I only use oils for flesh tones on 1/35 figs, and when thinned a little oil paint goes a long, long way!

For washes (where I don't find the exact shade matters too much) I mix larger amounts in the turpenoid in small glass jars; a batch at a time.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2005 - 04:25 AM UTC
I think the key thing to this is that, like most things in modle building, there are a lot of ways to skin the cat.

Try something, go slow or small to minimise the possibility of error and try the mix on an old kit to see if you got it right. Once you get a consistencey yuo like, make more to approximately the same ratio. Start with more thinner and slowly add paint until you get what you are looking for, It's easy to add paint but much harder to take it out again. :-)

HTH

Paul
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2005 - 08:00 AM UTC
I think THIS technique by Slodder may be just what you're looking for... I have used it with great success and can definitely recommend it...
blouie
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 136 posts
Armorama: 125 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2005 - 01:54 PM UTC
Thanks for all the tips. I tried the trial and error method and it worked okay, but I couldn't get any consistency. I like the method Slodder came up with and will definately give it a try on my next build.

Cheers

Branden
 _GOTOTOP