_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Unfinished projects
StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 357 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 12:56 PM UTC
Hi guys,

Here's a link to some photo's of projects that I just can't seem to finish. Hope you enjoy!

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/thread?forumid=110741&messageid=1034316084
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,411 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 01:15 PM UTC
Great looking kits!
Perhaps the problem lies in builders block. Too many kits all near completion and the old gray matter on overload trying to conceive bases of equal quality. Try taking a step back and concentrate on one, finish it and then move on.

Or you can try my 'cure' for builders block - take two Coors and wait till morning.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 01:18 PM UTC
As the guys on Missing links said.............. there is nothing wrong with your weathering skills. I find that we are our own worst critic. If you keep stopping at this point you will never improve. Keep it going, even the master painters look to improve their skills. And thanks for sharing your work with us!
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 01:39 PM UTC
Stuke,

They are some nice looking kits, I like your construction skills, very clean looking. I think there is nothing wrong with the painting, I think they are great, would be even better if you can post us some finished pictures soon!!!!
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 02:08 PM UTC
Stuke, I looked at your photos and appreciate the opportunity to comment.

Where or what exactly are you looking to improve on with your painting techniques? Perhaps if you mention what you'd like to improve, you'll get some great comments. There are folks on this website that are absolutely fantastic modelers, and are very very generous in offering tips and "how to's" when it comes to finishing armor.

Good luck!

cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 02:18 PM UTC
I really like your work. And I have a simular problem when it comes to weathering. I'm not confident, so I have a shelf full of models that aren't "finished" because their not weathered.
The weathering you did looks great. Just keep at it. I'm going to try to break the block myself.
StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 02:48 PM UTC
Thank you all for taking the time to look. I appreciate your kind words.

As for what is it that I am not pleased with? I am not quite sure, which makes it that much harder to try and correct. Just at various times during the finishing, I sit back, and think "this is not how I envisioned this". Then it goes up on the shelf. I have actually taken a break from modelling, as it will do me no good to just create more projects at this time.

I guess my biggest disappointment is my lack of subtle paint variation, and blending. I also have a great fear of washes as I usually cannot find good control of my materials. I am trying to find a system that can create a dynamic finish using only airbrushing, some painting with a brush, pencils, and pastels. Well, maybe some small localized washes. As winter approaches and the rain hits, I will have time to concentrate on modelling. Although I will never be as prolific as our buddy SS here. :-)

Again, thanks for the words of encouragement!
lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 06:27 PM UTC
God i hate it i never get around to weathering them I just say oh ill do it tommorw next week.
Oh well Maybe someday.
branden (:-)
Gatekeeper
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 142 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 09:34 PM UTC
hey StukeSowle

Looking very good! I know what you mean...sometimes I dont really feel like getting to the small things but remeber...the small things make a BIG differenece!...and the weatering is optional to make a model to look better...the other models look really good!...I dont see any need to weather them to make them look good.

Really sweet models!

Cris
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,411 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 04:58 AM UTC
I guess my biggest disappointment is my lack of subtle paint variation, and blending. I also have a great fear of washes as I usually cannot find good control of my materials. I am trying to find a system that can create a dynamic finish using only airbrushing, some painting with a brush, pencils, and pastels.

Stuke,
Don't fear washes, embrace them. It will be all right. I have used tinted alcohol w/ india ink and acrylic burnt umber for some time now with great results. If you are concerned over the look of the wash, test it out on a throw-away first. Blending camo and the tank base color takes practice. I usually drybrush the base color over the camo with emphasis on the edges and center of the camo spot. This gives the effect of wear on the contrasting color.

Also, once you have 'mastered' the wash you can use the solvent and a number of colors for weathering. Again using the alcohol base, I add, earth tones to the lower hull, roadwheels, suspension, tracks of my tanks. Then follow that with a light wash of rust, followed by the burnt umber again. The effect can be dramatic as you add layer upon layer of color to your tank. I stay away from turp or paint thinner - they can cause plastic to become soft and sometimes fall apart - especially in a wash form.

Give it a try.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 05:13 AM UTC
I know a block of mine is fear of a new technique which directly links to the fear of screwing it up and loosing all the work that went into it up to that point. And it's easier to put it down and say I'll start something else and get back to it. Well what I end up with is two kits at the same stage. If I ever get two kits there, what I do is basically, JDI - Just Do It. I will force progression at some level on a kit. If it's a technique of painting or weathering I will go light and stop early. That gives me a chance to go back without ruining the kit.
But definitely the key is to focus on one 'blocked' kit at a time. Sometimes, you just have to say "It's as Done as its going to get." and move on.

Your work is very good and you have nothing to worry about as far as skill and technique. I like what I see.
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 425 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 02:31 AM UTC
I've had similar problems in the past myself. How about this.......pick up a moderately priced kit, or grab one off your stack of future projects. Keep your construction to out-of-the-box.....focus on that new technique (sp?) or improving what you don't like about a previous model. That way, you aren't so worried about fouling up a model you've spent gobs of time and money on if it doesn't come out that great. I was scared to death of making zimmerit, so I bought an older, cheap kit and went at it! I won't say it came out perfect but it's far from terrible :-) We as modelers can't be afraid to learn new skills or we won't improve.
Also, I love that camo on your Maus!
Now go have at it, and good luck!!
Greg
StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 09:50 AM UTC
Thanks for all the tips guys. To be honest, I haven't done any modelling for the past few weeks. I have been just playing games on my PC, getting that stuff out of my system. I have also gone about cleaning and re-organizing my workbench. I find myself wanting to go back, but I want to make sure that I am good and ready to sit down and see a project through. I have a few old Tamiya kits that could easily be construced in a weekend, and painted the following week. Once I can't take it anymore, I will rustle one up and have a go at it.

Again, thanks for all the kind words and advice!

Stuke
 _GOTOTOP