_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Finished a couple tanks
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 12:33 PM UTC
I have been doing some modeling lately, and just to prove it I have finally taken some pictures of two tanks I finished a little while ago. The first is Tamiya's Cromwell and the second is their King Tiger (Production turret). Both are completely OOB. I have a dio plan for the KT, but nothing for the Cromwell yet.

Nic
tankshack
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 12:41 PM UTC
Nic,
The models look really good. I like the clean lines and the light weathering on both vehicles.

You also seem to have tackled one of the hardest parts of the Cromwell very well... That star on the turret roof....

Looks great... post some more.. and some in progress shots.
Tim
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 12:56 PM UTC
Yeah, that star was tough. I used Micro Sol on it, then cut it with a knife, then added more Micro Sol. In the end, there were a few areas that I had to touch up with flat white paint, but even I can't tell after close inspection.

Thanks for the comments, tankshack. When I make the dio for the King Tiger, I will be adding some (or a lot) of mud to it.

Nic
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 01:55 PM UTC
Hate to drop a spanner in the works Nic, but there's a problem with the Cromwell. You've put the sprocket at the front, instead of at the rear.
octupus
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 411 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 03:48 PM UTC
Nic,

What a nice job you have done! DId you do any cloud pattern on the Tamiya's Cromwell ? Or just leave it clean as just-out-of-factory look?
Waiting for your dio to be completed

Steve
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 03:50 PM UTC
http://www.wwiivehicles.com/images/britain/cromwell_04.jpg

As noted in a post above, please see the attached Cromwell photo.

Be that as it may, it is obvious you have put a lot of time in both these models and they look great. Your painting skills are obvious, the models are cleanly done---very, very nice work.

Hey, I'm from Wisconsin, and front wheel drive is the way to go up here. I'll take that Cromwell anytime!

Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 04:23 PM UTC
After inspecting the instructions, I see you are right. That just goes to show you that it's a good idea to actually look at the instructions when you make the model

If I decide to put it in a dio, then I will definitely change that (thank Tamiya for polycaps), but my, that is embarrassing. I think I will delete those pictures soon........ or maybe take new ones of the upper hull

Please, if I may direct your attention to the King Tiger. I think the sprocket wheel is correct on that one. Oh, I will never live this one down. Well, to make amends, I made sure the tracks were the right way on my Sherman :-)

Nic
lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 340 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 05:35 PM UTC
Hey it still looks nice Good job
Branden
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 06:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

After inspecting the instructions, I see you are right. That just goes to show you that it's a good idea to actually look at the instructions when you make the model

If I decide to put it in a dio, then I will definitely change that (thank Tamiya for polycaps), but my, that is embarrassing. I think I will delete those pictures soon........ or maybe take new ones of the upper hull

Please, if I may direct your attention to the King Tiger. I think the sprocket wheel is correct on that one. Oh, I will never live this one down. Well, to make amends, I made sure the tracks were the right way on my Sherman :-)

Nic

Nic again, looked awefully good. Cromwell, wasn't it Brit's answer to the Tiger? I like both painting effect on both of the models. I like model to be lightly weathered...

As for the sprocket thingy on the Cromwell, Damn those British Tank, as a rule the sprockets should be at the front as always!!!! Check those German tanks, they are by the book! Fancy lads, "Now let's put the sprockets in the rear for a change....." #:-)

Anyway, good work...
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 12:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As for the sprocket thingy on the Cromwell, Damn those British Tank, as a rule the sprockets should be at the front as always!!!! Check those German tanks, they are by the book! Fancy lads, "Now let's put the sprockets in the rear for a change....."

What do you mean "for a change". The only British tanks I can recall having a front sprocket were the Vickers Mk VI light tank and the Vickers 6 tonner that were used by the Finns and the Poles.
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 03:16 AM UTC
You know those Limeys always driving on the wrong side of the road. Just kidding for the British in the audience. :-)

Nic, they look good, and if someone hadn't pointed the sprocket out, I would never have noticed. Accuracy is important, but a good model is still a good model.

Rob
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 10:16 AM UTC
Folgore
I'd go ahead and put the Cromwell on a static base, a nice stained base, maybe just a bit of road or gravel. I think it could stand on its own.

I really like the camo on the KT. It looks very good.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 03:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If I decide to put it in a dio, then I will definitely change that (thank Tamiya for polycaps), but my, that is embarrassing.

Don't feel to bad. I didn't find out until the first show I ever went to that I had my sherman tracks on backwards and I found out AFTER the show

Great work. You have resisted the urge to do "too much" which is one of the hardest things to do IMO. Keep up the great work.

Whats the story behind the U.S. using Cromwells during the war? I am not doubting you, just wondering about the history behind it.
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 471 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 04:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

put quotetext hereWhats the story behind the U.S. using Cromwells during the war? I am not doubting you, just wondering about the history behind it.

I'm not sure what you mean Drew. I am not sure they did either, but lots of Brit/Commonwealth used the american star for aircraft recognition just like the US. So having the star dosn't mean its American. There are lots of pics with Canuck armor with sloppy hand painted stars.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 06:28 PM UTC
I fixed the mistake with the Cromwell and added some dust to it. You can find the pictures here.

If you are talking about the star, Drew, it was an air recognition symbol used by both American and Commonwealth troops in Europe, especially after 1943.

Nic
StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 357 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 09:55 AM UTC
Folgore,

Both models look very good to me. Don't worry about those sprockets...twice I have placed tracks backwards on my panzers!

Stuke
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 465 posts
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2002 - 08:11 PM UTC
nice work!! How did you make teh cables? The one on the Cromwell.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 04:41 AM UTC
The tow cables actually came with the kit. Tamiya supplied a length of nylon thread I just had to glue into the plastic eyes(?). After painting and drybrushing, they look really nice.

Here's another picture with the tow cables (and corrected sprocket and idler wheels):

Nic
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 471 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 05:15 AM UTC
Hey NIc, what is the base u have the cromwell on? It looks like a ceiling panel.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 05:59 AM UTC
It's just a tile for a floor, I think. It's not for display. I use it as a hard surface to cut PE on and things like that. For the Cromwell, I am just using it so I have something to carry it around on until I make a better base. I don't want to handle the actual tank, with all that dust on it.

Nic
 _GOTOTOP