_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
M4A4 hull progress
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 12:53 PM UTC
Some of you know I am working on converting Dragon's Sherman Vc Firefly into a 75mm-gunned Canadian M4A4. I have now finished the entire hull and am ready to move onto the turret (quite a bit of work there, though). I thought I would show you guys everything I have done thus far..........

From this picture, you can see that I have got rid of some tools and equipment and filled in the corresponding holes with Squadron Green Putty. Also noticeable are the photoetch brush guards over the tail and headlights, which were fortunately supplied with the kit.

The next two shots show the work done to the front. Bow machine-gun was added as well as applique armour, which was "welded" on using Milliput. You can probably tell I had some problems with the fit of the transmission cover. I also scraped the things off the front that held the extra tracks in place, as I did not want them. According to pictures, I added that little thingy between the two applique armour plates. I used the liquid plastic cement method to recreate the cast texture lost from the scraping and sanding. I will have to wait unitl after painting to see if the texture or the weld seams worked or not.

The camera focused on my hand here, but I was trying to show how I shortened the length of the hull (it's noticeably too long out of the box). I followed the instructions on Mike Canaday's website, allowing me to maintain the detail on the bottom. You can see the green putty around the area where I cut.

The rear plate was sanded flat and texture added here as well. I used Evergreen plastic sheet to make the guards at the back near the exhausts.

Finally, the best part of all. I made the suspension and tracks partially workable. The DML indi-link tracks, since they have end connectors, can be made workable by simply not gluing them at one end. This should be very handy when I make the diorama, which will be taking place in a street full of rubble. The ejector pin marks on almost every stinkin' link will be covered with mud I have decided.

Nic
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 03:09 PM UTC
She looks very nice Nic. A wonderful idea for a missing niche. You don't see too many done out there.
Do you have any particular Canucky markings you'll be using? Any crew members for her?
tankshack
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 03:13 PM UTC
Nic,
Never thought that you'd have them ready THAT fast.

The model looks really good. I'm particularly impressed with the work on the lower hull.

Mike C's directions are the complicated way to shorten the hull... you''ve done a great job.

Can't wait to see more!
Later,
Tim
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 04:31 PM UTC
Ken--I got Ultracast decals for the Three Rivers Regiment. The diorama will be one of a Three Rivers M4A4 supporting some Canadian infantry in the Italian town of Ortona, Christmas 1943. The infantry I have are from Ultracast. I also got an Ultracast crew, so i might put a commander in there if I decide not to close the hatches.

Glad you like it.

Nic
lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 340 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 05:29 PM UTC
Nice job bro
Branden
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 06:45 PM UTC
Nic Very impressive job. There are two particular thing I like the most:

1st. Needless to say the workable suspension, very very brilliant!
2nd, The overall cleaness of the construction, you should see my Tiger, it's a mess....

Very good job, now cannot wait to see it finished!
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 10:31 PM UTC
Hi Nic,

Very good job you have done. It looks great.

Ronald_Kok
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 484 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 10:47 PM UTC
verry nice job you have done sofar
Question I read that the hull is to long? and how to correct it and that you used the info on Mike Canaday's website? do you have the URL for me so that I can also correct mine two hulls
Thanks
Gatekeeper
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 142 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 10:50 PM UTC
Snazzy...very snazzy :-)
Sounds like you have spent many hours converting it!...but in the end its gonna be worth it!
;-)
its very nice...even thought its not painted yet
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 10:52 PM UTC
Hi Nic!
Great job so far, I'm really impressive with your clean way to build, I always mess my tanks up until the end.....but on the end it turn up ok!
Great idea to the indi-link tracks, they're a painintheass to get everything straight.
Keep up the good work!
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 11:14 PM UTC
Ronald, the site is at this URL

http://mmcalc.tripod.com/Shermans/Model_FAQ/Modeling_the_M4A4-Firefly.html
Ronald_Kok
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 484 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 12:04 AM UTC

Thank you Geoff
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 12:28 AM UTC
Nic==I must compliment you on the neatness of construction. :-) I also like the tools you placed on the right rear side of the vehicle. The axe caught my eye. Where did you get it? The ones that come with the vehicle are so puny. Your's looks like a real one.
Well done!
DJ
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 07:56 AM UTC
Very nice lookoing Sherman Nic I hope those drawings I sent you were a big help What type of turret are you using? A resin or are you gonna convert the kit turret?
Chad #:-)
MadMeex
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
KitMaker: 424 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 02:10 PM UTC
Hi,

I'm also building the firefly, but I'm doing it out of the box (the hull length doesn't bother me). I have a question on the hull front, though. Mine ended up being substantially narrower than the rest of the hull, so on the sides there is step. How did this join on the real M4A4? Should the side be smooth, with no step?

Any tips appreciated,
Mika
M4A1-M4A3
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 78 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 03:02 PM UTC
looks real good
Being a Sherman nut I see you have done your homework. Can not wait to see the top half and the over all paint job.
Thumbs Up
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2002 - 02:46 AM UTC
Sorry for the late reply here. I have been away for the weekend, but thanks for the comments.

Quoted Text

I also like the tools you placed on the right rear side of the vehicle. The axe caught my eye. Where did you get it? The ones that come with the vehicle are so puny. Your's looks like a real one.

DJ--The tools are just the ones that came with the kit. I had to fill in a few ejector pin marks, but other than that they seemed okay. Maybe the shovel is a bit small. Glad you like them anyway.

Nic
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2002 - 04:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry for the late reply here. I have been away for the weekend, but thanks for the comments.

Quoted Text

I also like the tools you placed on the right rear side of the vehicle. The axe caught my eye. Where did you get it? The ones that come with the vehicle are so puny. Your's looks like a real one.

DJ--The tools are just the ones that came with the kit. I had to fill in a few ejector pin marks, but other than that they seemed okay. Maybe the shovel is a bit small. Glad you like them anyway.

Nic

Nic--just a super job! I am posting photos of my completed USMC M4 Sherman tomorrow and trust you will comment.
thanks
DJ
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 01:45 AM UTC
Nic--You've done a super job. I am anxious to see the finished product. The sick thing is that you are only 18 (right?) years old and are this talented. I bet the models that you make 20 years from now will be second to none and will make Steve Zaloga jealous! Great job!

Are you planning on writing an article for the site regarding this conversion?
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 415 posts
Armorama: 231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 02:39 AM UTC
Fantistic job! Keep up the good work. :-)
 _GOTOTOP