Hosted by Darren Baker
Finished schwimmwagen
tomglover
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2005 - 11:47 PM UTC
This is my 1:48 Schwimmwagen with the Hauler etched set. The kit went together perfectly, and would have been twice as quick if I hadn't used the etched set. I sprayed the model with an overall coat of Tamiya buff and a bit of flat earth. I then applied a wash, particularly around the rear area. All coments or criticisms welcome.

HILBERT
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,808 posts
Armorama: 1,069 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 12:01 AM UTC
Looks great!

Only I think you should give a wash on the front too.
It gives more dept and it looks more ''used''.
Is it suitable for a diorama??

Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 705 posts
Armorama: 505 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 08:21 AM UTC
Your Schwimmy turned out very nice, for such a small scale it's showing alot of detail. Your oar look like real wood, well done.

As Hilbert has mentioned a little more wash on the front end and some dark wash on the screens on the motor intakes (make them look like screens) . Maybe some silver paint on the mirror.
Is your notek light on backwards or is it just the picture?
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
Armorama: 503 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 08:53 AM UTC
Hi Tom!

Nice Schwimmwagen! I build mine a few days ago for the same campaign so we can say they are "Zwillinge"

I would just clean the window a little bit so the driver would see something... and forgive me for my ignorance but what were the Notek lights used for? You know I usually build aircraft and I'm French! :-)

Jean-Luc
koschrei
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 134 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 09:22 AM UTC
Tom -

Nice job on the Schwimm! The Hauler set adds a lot !

Jean -

Quoted Text

what were the Notek lights used for?

It is a balckout light gizmo to use when hostile aricraft are around or in other circumstances when you do not want to turn on the headlights.

Konrad
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 10:15 AM UTC
Umm, actually the rear tow hooks are supposed to be mounted on the flat plate at the end of the V-shaped piece that you have glued just behind the rear wheels. They are the reinforcement ribs added to later production vehicles to help secure the towing hooks so that they don't rip away from the body. If you used CA glue you can use nail polish remover to remove them but you will have to repaint that part, then, mount them a little higher, in the place where you have the tow hooks now. Do an image search on Google for pics to help you with this. Next, you may want to get the Panzer Grenadiers set as it comes with two figures for the kubelwagen/schwimmwagen.
Marlowe
tomglover
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 10:39 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments. I will try and clean up that windscreen and give the front a wash. I did actually find out that the tow hooks were supposed to be mounted on the v-shaped plates after I had glued them in place-thanks anyway Marlowe. I will try and fix that. I might put it in a dio soon.
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 10:53 AM UTC
After you fix it up and place it on a dio, you could send some of the your pics to Track48 for the gallery. There are too few schwimmwagens in the gallery section. I want to see dios with schwimmwagens, kubels, Citroens and kettenkrads.
Marlowe
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 12:14 PM UTC
Tom
Great looking Schwimmwagen What color or method did you use to paint the wooden paddle? That looks like real wood I am working on the 1/35th version
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
Armorama: 503 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 06:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Next, you may want to get the Panzer Grenadiers set as it comes with two figures for the kubelwagen/schwimmwagen.
Marlowe

Hi all!

Is this set already available? I need some figures for a little diorama I'm making with the same vehicle... I also heard of a "Driver and passenger for Schwimmwagen" release!?

Jean-Luc
tomglover
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 10:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What color or method did you use to paint the wooden paddle?

I first painted the paddle with Gunze Sandy Brown, and then dry brushed it with Tamiya red brown (can't remember fur sure if it was red brown). I was really surprised how realistic it looked after! Try experimenting with the colours a bit.

Quoted Text

Next, you may want to get the Panzer Grenadiers set as it comes with two figures for the kubelwagen/schwimmwagen.

Who makes this set? I have been looking around but can't find any 1:48 Panzer Grenadiers.

BTW, the notek light are the wrong way round...I will fix that.
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 05:17 AM UTC
Panzer Grenadiers are made by Tamiya and were released in late September in Japan, although they seem to be taking their time making their way to the rest of the world, or at least to North America. You can order them from a number of online hobby shops and the shipping costs will probably not push the cost higher than retail price. Gaso.Line of France makes a set of four figures for the kubelwagen, and Propaganda Komapny of France makes some figures for the kubel and kettenkrad. You can get to the websites of both companies by following the links in the Links section of Track48 (www.Track48.com). Gaso.Line is listed under quarter-kit. Also, you may wish to become a member of the Heavy-Steel site for up-to the minute news on 1/48 scale products, or join the Yahoo quarterscale discussion group, or just participate in the Track48 discussion group. I think you will be surprised at how much is available in 1/48
GLenn
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 05:26 AM UTC
Update: The two figures with the Panzer Granadiers set are seated figures which look as if they can by used (although it is hard to tell if they will fit) in the kubel.schwimmwagen and are dressed for cold weather. (try looking at the pictures on the Tamiya website). The Gaso.Line set are made specifically for the kubelwagen. At a hobby show earlier in the year, Tamiya showed a schwimmwagen with four winter-clad figures riding in it. I am hoping that these will be released soon in the New Year. I want a driver for my Citroen.
GLenn
koschrei
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 134 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 07:48 PM UTC
My sipment arrived - the instructions show them in the Schwimm, but I bet you will want to check the fit as you go to make sure they do go in. The driver in particular may need to go in as part of the build.

Konrad
 _GOTOTOP