_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Famo
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 11:23 AM UTC
Here is the pictures of my Famo. Straight from the box

Comments are welcome

Cheers!
Richard Craig
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 11:38 AM UTC
Richard, in one word, impressive. I like it a lot. I especially like the crate beside the engine, with the brand on it. I think the whole thing is very well done. Only because you asked for comments, something I might do would be a greasy hand print on the box in the back seat, and a tarp in some fasion for the back, but not covering the whole thing. Don't want to hide all that hard work.

Rob
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 12:12 PM UTC
Wow, that is really, really nice work. Excellent work.
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 12:42 PM UTC
Hola!

Wow! I really love this paint job! Just another evidence that a person can build one hell of a model with out spending half a fortune on estra stuff!! Just have to say another wow
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 12:45 PM UTC
Outstanding!
Very impressibe weathering job. Not only on the Famo, but the cargo as well. Attention to detail is what it's all about. Superb jog Richard!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 12:49 PM UTC
Absolutely great work. The dark rusty effect works brilliantly. The "Load" is also very well weathered. The Famo has to be the coolest halftrack around!
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 02:41 PM UTC
Thanks for the nice comments.....I'm new here and I've got a few to show you and then I'll get back to building one or two a year....This kit is pure tamiya ..just throw some glue in the box shake it up and out pops a famo...Tried out a few new techniques on this kit ...I think it turned out nice ...as you have said ...A trick I use is not to wait till the end to build the accesories but build them a bit at a time during the construction ,that way you aren't sick of your kits and rush the important stuff...thanks again for the encouragement.

Richard
octupus
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 411 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 04:06 PM UTC
thebear

Real nice work you have done on th Fammo, are you planning to build the treailer as well?
The rusty work is great too on the oil drums. Looking forward to seeing your other works.

Steve
Gatekeeper
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 142 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 05:45 PM UTC
thebear

I was thinking of makinf a Famo myself in the near future. And have looked up some pics of a couple of Famo's...some of them really good but I think this one is the best!...I especially like the "warn out" commo on the truck!..very snazzy!...did you use and air brush for that?...cos I really REALLY wanna do that but I have no air brush!!! ...so the old brush it is

Sweet work!...keep it up!!!

Cris
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 05:52 PM UTC
This is great, and frankly, one of the best Famo I had seen so far. Love it, and shows how good modelling skill can make an OOTB build looked so outstanding!

I am going to build a Famo soon, so hope mine will be half good as yours. Good job, Bear!
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2002 - 04:49 AM UTC
thebear - well done. This model can stand on its own and stand very strong. I love the 1st and 4th photos. As others have said the paint scheme is very impressive.
Question - what did you use for the windscreen cover? Tissue, putty?
As far as comments - I do like the suggestion about a tarp. To keep your work in view you could do a partial tarp from one cover stay to the other and have the sides rolled up. I had to spend a long time thinking of creative input and this is the only thing I could come up with. This is really picky so take this with a grain of salt. The engine in the back, how'd it get there? A crane would have had problems getting it by the cover stays and sliding it in would have been kinda tough. The 3rd photo has what might be skid under the engine? In person this might not be an issue. That's all I could come up with.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2002 - 07:52 AM UTC
Thank one and all for the nice comments...it was a great kit to build...as for adding a cover on the back I thought about it but as you said I didn't want to cover up all those details...so if i do build another one with the trailer I think I'll try it...for the windscren cover ..I got the idea when my daughter left a foil rapper from a chocolate egg on the table...instead of getting mad I got to work :-) so I just wrapped it around the frame and painted it ...the only thing is the paint doesn't stick well and I can't touch it anymore...Painting was done with an airbrush at around 25lbs pressure but my fine point almost closed....it would take about ten passes before any sign of paint would start to show up ...that is what gives that warn out look to the camo ...weathering was done with washes and oil paint spots put all over my kit using all kinds of colours from black ,raw umber,burnt sienna ..exct.all the way to white ...Then taking a flat brush with lighter fluid on it and using a dragging motions towards the bottom of the vehicle...this leaves that streaky look to my kit . I thought it came out quite well ...
thanks again.
Richhard
ARMDCAV
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 115 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 12:00 AM UTC
What? No pe?, no Verlinden no Eduard? What are trying to do put these people out of business? The very thought, building a fantastic model right out of the box. herasy is what it is. Don't you know that the current dogma dictates the use of after market to really do it right? The horror, the horror. The bit with the candy wrapper, god I loved that. Think of the cost man. AM tarp 12.95 plus shipping. Candy wrapper, a little girls smile.
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 01:12 AM UTC
thebear--Your Famo looks great! I love the paint job and the load. Wonderful job!

All--No you don't need AM stuff to make a kit look good, but do remember that some of us use AM not because we feel that it is needed (because with new DML, Tamiya, Fine Molds, etc. kits it most certainly is not), but because that is one of our favorite parts of building a kit. I couldn't imagine making a model without using PE anymore because I love working with the stuff (almost more than I do working with the plastic). For me, AM stuff is an important part of the build because I love the challenge of making all of the different mediums work together (besides I love the look of an unpainted kit with all kinds of PE and Evergreen sheet).
SunTzu
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 6 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 02:24 AM UTC
Impressive work. Even without soldiers, it almost looks alive. I like some of the details in the back load. Maybe the best Famo I ever saw.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 04:51 AM UTC
Thanks again and sorry bout that I wouldn't want to put anyone one out of business.... ,but I think I need a break from all that stuff..my last 4 projects have been all out of the box or very close to it ..Before that I was working on a pantherD from Italeri with fruil tracks,MK wheels,royal models PE ,Aber PE,a new turret from CMD and even a bit of scratch building to go with it ...where is it now??? Still sitting in the box half done ...think I burnt myself out on that one ...So it has been more of a get back to modeling and having fun time lately. I think I'm cured and can go back to building with PE again ..speaking of which my latest project is a whopper ..Dragon wagon with trailerso far I have 3 sets of Pe from Eduard and lots of different gauges of wire to make all the hoses and wiring under that beast but I'm having a ball ...I'll try and take a few pictures while building it ...got to call my friend over with his camera..I'll keep you guys up to date...

Richard
lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 340 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 07:57 AM UTC
Nice Famo
Branden
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 06:32 PM UTC
I agree with Adam on this, I too cannot see myself working on a serious project without at least a PE sheet and a replacement barrel. The most satisfing moment in this hobby is when I finished all the construction, and see a the copper, aluminum, plastic all sits together, I am telling you, it's amazing, sometimes, I don't even feel to prime the thing....
 _GOTOTOP