_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Dry Brushing AFV's
MonkeyGun
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 943 posts
Armorama: 825 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 09:52 PM UTC
I guess , like most of us when it comes to drybrushing AFV's I use the "traditional" method of drybrushing, being a mainly allied modeller most of my subjects are painted some shade of OD and when it comes to drybrushing I will use buff , khaki , sand colours to bring out the detail.

However after reading Vinnies excellent article on building the Italeri 232 6-Rad, I noticed he uses much much darker colour to drybrush (matt black in this case) and I must say i was very impressed with the effect he achieved.

Im keen to try this method of drybrushing but was just curious if anyone else use the same method and if so what colours do you use , can i use black on a OD subject ?

Thanks in advance for any help

Ian
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2005 - 01:17 AM UTC
The darker effect more closely mimics reality when you think about it. On OD vehicles, dusty areas are worn dark with contact. Imagine an M7 Priest. There would be dark areas all near the upper parts of the fighting compartment armor. In photos, you even see the dark spots near the climbing handles that the crew uses to get aboard.

When I've climbed over gate guardians, it's very clear that the hull edges, lifting lugs, turret openings are "clean" versus the dusty accumulation on the non-contacted areas.

Dr. Ahn is one of my favorite Sherman modellers. Have a look at one here:
http://missing-lynx.com/gallery/usa/m4early_cheehongahn.html

There are several more on the ML gallery

I'd imagine it's done with careful application of pigment dusting, with the raised areas wiped cleaner to leave the dark basecoat.
 _GOTOTOP