_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
USMC M4 Sherman
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 03:31 AM UTC
I posted my latest shots of the Italeri USMC M4 Sherman at:

http://groups.msn.com/armorama/usmcshermn.msnw?Page=1

Appreciate your comments
thanks
DJ
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 03:46 AM UTC
Looks good overall. Color scheme is interresting though. I have never seen one in Sand/OD Green camo scheme.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 04:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks good overall. Color scheme is interresting though. I have never seen one in Sand/OD Green camo scheme.

Gino---I used the Osprey book on Shermans as a reference. The three tanks displayed each had a unique paint pattern. Some had the green, sand, brown pattern but I wanted to stay with this scheme. A few more things to be done then she heads for the shelf.
thanks
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 04:28 AM UTC
DJ--She's looking good. Great work! Don't you just love that feeling of putting in up on the shelf once and for all.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 04:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

DJ--She's looking good. Great work! Don't you just love that feeling of putting in up on the shelf once and for all.

My Friend---I am almost there #:-) . I want to do the wash with a light brown and use those techniques addresed by others in the Forum. Usually, I just wash the vehicle, this time I am going to apply the wash along the crevices of the sideboards and the running gear. I sanded down the sideboards so as as to get a rough look. I am pleased so far and encourage you to get one....think Xmas!
DJ
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 04:54 AM UTC
It's coming along nicely, DJ. It is an interesting camo scheme. I have never built anything from the Pacific theatre, so it's neat to see. I remember in one of the earlier episodes of Band of Brothers, they had one of these tanks, too. I like the looks of the machine gun and the wood planks are pretty cool, too (did those come with the kit?).

Nic

PS--Can't wait to see it weathered.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 04:59 AM UTC
DJ, I simply love it. The color scheme is certainly unique! The side boards are looking terrific, on the hull and running gear. I like the anti-mine screening over the turret hatche. Your making or AM kit?
Please hurry up and finish the weathering as I can wait no longer to see her with her makeup on!
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 05:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

DJ, I simply love it. The color scheme is certainly unique! The side boards are looking terrific, on the hull and running gear. I like the anti-mine screening over the turret hatche. Your making or AM kit?
Please hurry up and finish the weathering as I can wait no longer to see her with her makeup on!

Ken--many thanks. The screens are from the Eduard AM. Very expensive, but the effects are exactly what I wanted. The kit has sideboards which I personally felt were inadequate. They are thin sheet plastic. The sideboards displayed are balsa on the running gear with the heads of straight pins and basswood on the side with ice cream stick boards attached to give the sense of planks. The wash concerns me. I am not noted for doing it well and after reading several technique post I can see where I faulted. So, this time around I am going to put it on in specific areas and then high light her. I am also building the LVT 4A with VLS AM. She goes together well. The hull and side armor are very tricky to align. The only thing I can advise is to glue it section by section working from the front to the rear. I am hoping to have her done shortly. Dagger and I want to start a group build of the Tamiya M-26 in December if all goes according to plan. Hope you will join in....
thanks again
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 07:43 AM UTC
Hi DJ, she certainly looks good and almost (Note I said almost) makes me want to change from softskins. Is this the new Italeri kit? I also like the difference in paint colour between the wood and metal. How did you get this effect?

Cliff (I'm still a driver) :-)
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 07:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi DJ, she certainly looks good and almost (Note I said almost) makes me want to change from softskins. Is this the new Italeri kit? I also like the difference in paint colour between the wood and metal. How did you get this effect?

Cliff (I'm still a driver) :-)

Cliff---this is indeed the Italeri kit with Eduard After Market parts on it. I discraded the kit supplied side planking and fabricated a new set and the set you see on the running gear. I painted her a light desert shade then a USMC WW II green. I used Master Modeler paints. Once the paint dried, I took a light grit sand paper to the sides to get that plank effect from the ice cream sticks attached to the basic basswood sideboard. I am doing the weathering this week then I hit highlighting her.
DJ
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 08:14 AM UTC
Hey DJ very nice job so far ...Keep it up I know washes can be scary trick I use is to gloss coat the kit all over and let it dry for a week ..you'll see the paint will run into the cracks much easier...one thing I would do is to add the tape they used to waterproof the wading trunks makes for a contrast to your camo scheme..just a sugestion though ...Looking good...Question did you make it into a M4a3 or M4a2?

Richard
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 08:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey DJ very nice job so far ...Keep it up I know washes can be scary trick I use is to gloss coat the kit all over and let it dry for a week ..you'll see the paint will run into the cracks much easier...one thing I would do is to add the tape they used to waterproof the wading trunks makes for a contrast to your camo scheme..just a sugestion though ...Looking good...Question did you make it into a M4a3 or M4a2?

Richard

Richard---M4A2 replica. Give me some details on the tape idea. Color, size, position....
thanks
DJ
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 09:38 AM UTC
Well you got me there ..what kind of tape I'm not too sure of but it was part of their waterproofing kits that they used ...If you have Hunnicutts book on the sherman you can see that they covered the tape with something that looks very dark almost like pitch ..Hope this helps a bit ..If you don't have the book I can (try) and send you the picture .

Richard
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 425 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 11:00 AM UTC
Your sherman looks great so far...nice to see something besides OD green for a change !
I know you haven't weathered yet, but don't forget to blend in the numbers/lettering, that'll really make it look part of the tank. Can't wait to see your finished project !!!
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 12:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well you got me there ..what kind of tape I'm not too sure of but it was part of their waterproofing kits that they used ...If you have Hunnicutts book on the sherman you can see that they covered the tape with something that looks very dark almost like pitch ..Hope this helps a bit ..If you don't have the book I can (try) and send you the picture .

Richard

Richard--I have the Hunnicut bok and see what you described. I think some masking tape painted a dark color will do the trick. The weathering color has me thinking.....what color will go better with the scheme?
DJ
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 06:30 AM UTC
I never stray far from burnt umber for my washes..with a light coloured tank such as yours I think I would use it staight instead of adding black to it but ,it is really a matter of your choice..Try a very diluted was first and see what it does..them adjust to your liking.
hth
Richard
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 07:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I never stray far from burnt umber for my washes..with a light coloured tank such as yours I think I would use it staight instead of adding black to it but ,it is really a matter of your choice..Try a very diluted was first and see what it does..them adjust to your liking.
hth
Richard

Richard--okay. I have the MM Burnt Umber. I dilute it will turpentine then use what size brush to apply it....small, medium, or large? As I understand the technique, I should run the was along the creases of the vehicle....is that about it?
thanks again
DJ
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 09:13 AM UTC
First question...what kind of paint did you use to paint your kit ?? second if in oil such as humbrol or MM make sure it has dried for at least a couple of days ...If not you will see the paint crack from the turpentine (scary when that happens ) This is where I don't take chances and I add at least two coats of gloss...(helps for decals too)Now there are two different thoughts about washes one is to use a small brush and just touch into the cracks and around the details you want to show off .I use a rather radical method of a wash all over my kits and then a heavier wash just in the cracks ..Then after all this I use a couple of dull coats to bring everything back to a matt finish....I the use a bit of dry brushing to finish up the job..
Richard
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 02:53 PM UTC
Looks good to me. As far as the wash goes I would just be careful not to go to dark on in because It will really stand out on the sand. I don't know what color the dirt was over there (or if it was all sand for that matter) so I don't want to give you any suggestions for the color of it. I do like how the tools don't have a lot of dirt or rust on them since the sand would keep them pretty clean. For the same reason I would leave the tracks pretty clean also, but I may be wrong so if someone else tells you different listen to them.

A guy in my local IPMS club is working on a project thats a little different right now. It is a cobra helecoptor that is half grey and half sand, or something like that. He is building it off a Desert Storm picture where they replaced the back end of a Cobra with one of a different color scheme. Anyway, the point is it may be kind of neat to pait the snorkles O.D. or some other color to make it look like they where added after the camo job. With the decals already on it may be to late or you might not like the idea, but for some reason I thought of it. Keep up the great work and let us know when your done.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 01:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks good to me. As far as the wash goes I would just be careful not to go to dark on in because It will really stand out on the sand. I don't know what color the dirt was over there (or if it was all sand for that matter) so I don't want to give you any suggestions for the color of it. I do like how the tools don't have a lot of dirt or rust on them since the sand would keep them pretty clean. For the same reason I would leave the tracks pretty clean also, but I may be wrong so if someone else tells you different listen to them.

A guy in my local IPMS club is working on a project thats a little different right now. It is a cobra helecoptor that is half grey and half sand, or something like that. He is building it off a Desert Storm picture where they replaced the back end of a Cobra with one of a different color scheme. Anyway, the point is it may be kind of neat to pait the snorkles O.D. or some other color to make it look like they where added after the camo job. With the decals already on it may be to late or you might not like the idea, but for some reason I thought of it. Keep up the great work and let us know when your done.

Andrew--your idea about a totally different color for the deep water fording kit is intriguing. I think you are absolutely right. If I ever had it to do over again, I would do them OD. I am going to try the burnt umber wash and see how it looks. Get back with photos shortly.
thanks again
DJ
 _GOTOTOP