_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Camo schemes for M3 Grant
Davester444
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 850 posts
Armorama: 548 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 08:58 AM UTC
I'm building Tamiyas offering of this kit, and I was wondering if anyone knows of any camo schemes for it other that the two shades of brown over the desert yellow base colour. I believe I've seen it with light blue camouflage, but this may have been on a game and I don't know how reliable it is. If anyone could confirm whether or not this scheme was real, or if there are any others, I'd be glad to hear.

Thanks in advance
Dave
KEVINT
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 191 posts
Armorama: 176 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 09:48 AM UTC
Hello Dave,

Cannot help with colours but if you try http://www.iwmcollections.org.uk/qryPhotoImg.asp

In Period select Second World War
In Photograph Number enter E
and search.
There are a number of photos showing Grants with various colour schemes.
Hope it helps.
By the way where are you in the W.Mids?
Cheers
Kevin
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 09:53 AM UTC
The use of light blue as part of the early desert war camo scheme for British AFVs has been debunked. Very attractive but not based in reality. As for your M3 Grant, you're kinda stuck. The two tone one you mentioned is all I've ever seen the Grants in. Maybe an OD for Burma campaign is an alternative
Davester444
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 850 posts
Armorama: 548 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 10:11 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies. I want a change from OD colour schemes, so I'll try desert yellow. I'll have a look at the website, even if I don't use any fancy camo scheme I'm interested to see what I could do with the model.

I don't like to give out specific personal details on the internet, my parents get angry and ban me from the computer etc, which is why I don't show my surname. I'm not the rebellious type.

Thanks again.
Dave
biffa
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 881 posts
Armorama: 826 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 02:21 PM UTC
the only other camo ive seen was on a grant in the book "how to build dioramas" by sheperd paine now i know this is a model but if its good enough for him then who am i to argue.

ron g.

jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
Armorama: 541 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 03:08 PM UTC
The "light blue" is an incorrect interpretation of what is known as the Caunter Scheme, an early war 3-color scheme of Stone (tan), Silver Grey, and Slate or approximations thereof. Many models show this as tan, lt-blue, and brown -- when it was more tan/stone, silver-grey-blueish, slate-greenish, depending on how you looked at it & the light caught it. I can tell you that it isn't easy to mix for a simple guy like me.

I'm not much into Grants, but I cannot recollect seeing a Grant in the Caunter Scheme -- but don't take that as gospel.

John
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 847 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 01:53 AM UTC
A quick look around my picture stash I found this, 3 color camo. couldn't say the exact colors but the previous posts would be a good guess.

Hope this helped,
Bob
 _GOTOTOP