_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Future and resin zimmeret
blouie
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 136 posts
Armorama: 125 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 05:05 AM UTC
I was wondering if Future needs to be applied to zimmeret before decalling. It seems reduntant because the decals are being applied to uneven surfaces. Any thoughts or opinions?

Cheers

Branden
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,339 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 05:27 AM UTC
You have a point there Branden..The future coat does help a wash flow better.The future also provides a smooth surface for the decal eliminating any airpockets.. It would also stop the dreaded "silvering" of the decal. That is when you can see the actual outline of the entire decal on the model..
Hope that helps

Dave
Tapper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 664 posts
Armorama: 484 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 06:30 AM UTC
I assume that you would paint the insignia on the zimmerit instead of using a decal otherwise the decal might not adhere properly to the rough zimmerit, even with a coat of Future on it.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 07:09 AM UTC
Tapper is right Branden. The use of Future or other glosscoats is to provide a truly smooth surface for decals that would otherwise have to be applied to a matt coated model. The matt coat is produced by microscopic texture which diffuses light reflection. A gloss coat has little texture and it therefore reflects light (glossiness). When you apply clear decal film over a matt coat, the light diffuses onto the underside of the decal (since it can't shrink down to the microscopic texture of the paint) producing the "silvering"

As your surface is zimmerit with its inherent pockets and texture, glossing it won't help at all. You're left with trimming off all the decal film and using lots of decal setting solution or hand painting or spray with stencils.

HTH

RC
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 08:01 AM UTC
How many of you have put decals over Cavalier Zimmerit. If you were successful, how about posting how you did it. I'm not that skillful in freehand painting numbers. I'm thinking about trying Archer transfers myself.
Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
Armorama: 1,187 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 08:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm not that skillful in freehand painting numbers. .

Steve ,
A lot of German crews hand painted numbers on their tanks ,so there's no need for them to perfect.
Imagine trying to paint over zim with stick with a bit of rag tied round the end!!! or a 2"round brush....NO dead straight edges there!!
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 12:18 PM UTC
The Archer transfers could pose some problems in that you'll need to impress the transfers, possibly damaging your zimmerit work. Something to consider.

Javlin813
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 336 posts
Armorama: 191 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 01:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How many of you have put decals over Cavalier Zimmerit. If you were successful, how about posting how you did it. I'm not that skillful in freehand painting numbers. I'm thinking about trying Archer transfers myself.

Hi,
I've applied decals over Cavalier Zimmerit, R&J's Zim-it-Rite resin putty and Eduard's photo-etch Zimmerit. I coated the model with Future and then and used a lot of decal setting solution and patiently worked the decal into the Zimmerit pattern with a soft, damp brush. The best results took about two days of repeated appllication. You do need to be extremely careful when trying to get the decal to settle into the pattern because it can move, bunch up or tear. I use the Future to help prevent the typical decal problems and becuase I use a sludge wash which requires a coat of two of Future.
Scott
 _GOTOTOP