_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
I need your opion about new ad format
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 03:40 AM UTC
The ad company I have started using for some of our ad space has this new "intermission ad" they are trying to sell advertisers. Basically this ad works this way....

Once per day, per visitor (but not on their first visit) they will at random be taken to a framed page with a "Continue to Armorama" link banner on the top and an actual advertiser site (framed) on the bottom.

So basically this could happen at some time during your visit when you click a link you will go to this page. If you want to skip the advertisers site you will click the link at the top and go on to the page you requested, if you want to explore you can do so within the framed site page and go back to Armorama at any point thereafter.

It's an interesting idea. I am not sure if people would think it's too intrusive though. What do you think?

Let me know if I haven't explained it well enough.

Oh and I should add that the reason I am asking is that one of our current modeling-related advertisers has ordered one (but I don't HAVE to approve it). And if I did approve others they would only be modeling-related vendors in future as well.

Thanks,
Jim
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 03:51 AM UTC
Speaking purely as a site user, I would hate this. I view these re-directers as very intrusive and as annoying as hell. I honestly think it would be step down a road we don't want to take. Imagine making a telephone call and being re-directed to an advertisement?

Vinnie
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 987 posts
Armorama: 444 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 03:53 AM UTC
ESPN does that - I find it quite annoying. This site is dripping with ads already and rightfully so since they help in funding this place. It is your call though - you're the boss
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 03:56 AM UTC
Thats the most annoying type of advertizing that I know of, I realise that this site needs ads to pay the bill, but the ads you mention is putting way too much power and influence in the hands of the adcompany.

Personally I have met that kind of advertize before on sites where I used to visit regularly - "used to" is the keyword...

Plz dont....
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 04:00 AM UTC
Ditto, I find it almost as annoying as pop up ads, but you can't block them like pop ups.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 04:06 AM UTC
Delphi does that when you log on. It's annoying and I have never clicked the link to the add and all I look for is the "Continue" button without seeing the content. About the only thing worse are the seizure inducing flashing "You've Won!" ads.
My vote, for what it's worth, is to not do this.
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
Armorama: 234 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 04:06 AM UTC
Hi Jim,

I have occasionally encounteed these "continue on to..." adds and they can be a bit intrusive at first but if they are only occasional it's not too bad.

My main reservation is for people on dial up connections. At times the site can be quite slow on dial up, adding in a further delay on page opening times could put people off.

Having said that if the income is good then it is for the site's benefit, we will get used to it eventually.......
EasyOff
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 926 posts
Armorama: 356 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 06:18 AM UTC
Accuradio.com does that as well. You have to sit through a 15-30 second comercial before you can start getting busy on the site. Its a pain in the ass specially if you've seen the same ad more than once in a life time. Please don't do that Jim. Please! I bought a Gateway dvd player that is linked to the computer via wireless internet connection, so I can view my photos, play MP3's, pc. movies etc on my home entertainment system via wireless. Now every time I boot my system up I have to watch this "G D" Gateway logo do its thing on my non gateway system before my comp will even allow me to start using windows. I swear, all it makes me want to do is ship the "G D" DVD player back. I've gone in the system INI to try and find it and stop it, but its so intergrated into the package its not funny.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 06:25 AM UTC
In plain English.... ditch the idea.
You would probably lose a few members.
nicoropi
Visit this Community
Vaud, Switzerland
KitMaker: 243 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 06:29 AM UTC
I would rather pay a membership fee to the site than to have to go through this ad page.
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 06:41 AM UTC
This is not a good idea, when i find a site that does this i no longer visit them, unless you are getting really big money i would not do it.
Paul_Owen
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 140 posts
Armorama: 108 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 07:24 AM UTC
Jim, I think it is a brilliant idea. Go for it! The more advertising the better!

You know my feelings about advertising on models web-site :-)

Paul.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 07:25 AM UTC
sorry Jim I think that would be a real bad idea. In fact in a way it a type of kidnapping as I am taken somewhere were I really don't want to go and with no choise.

cheers
Cliff

PS> regardless of the revenue produced it is still a bad idea.
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,876 posts
Armorama: 1,120 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 08:52 AM UTC
Jim...Dare I be different..I love them..I live to be delayed in all I do..I love when folks just walk in my house unannounced..Sitting in traffic is a hobby of mine. Long lines at the checkout counter make my day...................NOT!

EDIT: Now we know the reason for the avatar.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 09:19 AM UTC
Modeling rated.... maybe..... Not hobby related....forgetaboutit
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 09:24 AM UTC
I HATE those things !!!!!!!
Salvo
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
Armorama: 182 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 09:25 AM UTC
I'm with everyone else. I think it is a bad idea. Once you get re-directed you enter the land of never ending pop-ups and all that stuff.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Armorama: 903 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 09:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would rather pay a membership fee to the site than to have to go through this ad page.

Hi Ropi

Well - you can always join the A-Guard...

But, seriously, I'd put these into a "necessary evil" category. I've never seen ads like this in action, but the description sounds pretty bad; it's always annoying if you get diverted to something you didn't choose to view.

Almost as an aside, would these ads actually be relevant to the bulk of our members? There might be some argument for them if they were "intelligently" targeted - but I think they'd still probably get on my nerves.

All the best

Rowan
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 09:51 AM UTC
I can come up with two words for this idea....trash it

I hate those things.
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 09:59 AM UTC
Hi Jim,

I just signed on as a member of the 'A' guard,... and to be honest, I'd rather pay twice what I just forked over to the site, than see those intrusive adds.

Keep up the excellent work.

Frank
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 10:01 AM UTC
I vote no. However, if the future of Armorama depended on it, I could live with it.
Chuck
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 10:19 AM UTC
Jim, I should have said this in my first post. Thanks for looking for our input. Shows you are a class act.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 10:29 AM UTC
I hate those pop-ups too - but - I support the Site and if the revenue is good, I can live with it.

Gunnie
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 945 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 10:33 AM UTC
I HATE POP UPs and INTERMISSION.

Jim,
Having making my statement. I also understand there are bills to be paid making this site possible. Perhaps a non intrusive alternative could be made. Maybe be a seperate sub-html page for all the ads so the people want to visit can go.

WC
 _GOTOTOP