Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
AFV 432
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,594 posts
Armorama: 973 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 03:47 PM UTC

Murdo....................what can I say..........thats Fandabydosy.....".gie yersel a clap oan the back"
The rest is all free-wheeling now----
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
MARKQOH
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 09:48 PM UTC
Some good pics of 432s on www.primeportal.net
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 10:54 PM UTC
I'm having real problems finding reference pictures of the top of a 432.

No shortage of pics of the sides, front and back but none of the top.

Can anybody help please?
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2005 - 02:54 AM UTC

Sorry Murdo ---speak --ask and I will try and deliver ---Sorry been busy ---whats your needs
aye
BARV
9GOSMG)
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2005 - 04:32 AM UTC
Hi Steve,

Having a bit of difficulty figuring out the hinges on the Louvres, hatches etc and the commanders hatch itself.

I remember it as being round (bear in mind this was a long time ago) but all the reference pictures I see show it as being oval. However in all these pictures the hatches are at an angle, therefore they would show as being oval anyway due to the angle.

I have finished the drivers hatch (closed, I chickened out of leaving it open) and hope to have the commanders hatch done tomorrow night.

I'll post some more pics tomorrow.
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2005 - 04:49 AM UTC

Will check my book t/m ---got to be close up pics
Hang loose
aye
BARV
(GOSMG0
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2005 - 11:35 PM UTC

E-m's and p-m's are crossing -----need to speak "re"-wheels and track ------"Advanced "lessons in scratch -building to come :-) :-) :-)
Ping me (p-mess)soon and I will explain what I have in mind :-) :-)
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 01:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

E-m's and p-m's are crossing -----

Whew, no kidding! getting cross eyed here! :-) :-) :-)
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 01:15 AM UTC
I know this is going to sound really stupid, but as I recall the FV432 looks a lot like an American M113, in fact I thought it was a sort of licence built version with different power train etc, I accept I'm probably completely wrong. Would it be possible to kit-bash one from an M113, since kits of those are about? Or are there just too many changes to be worthwhile? Just wondering, could make the job a lot easier if a possibility.
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 02:32 AM UTC
Hi Steve,

The FV432 is an entirely different design to the M113, but it does look somewhat similar.

In fact the 432 is superior to the M113 in most respects, particularly protection and mobility.

The main problem is it was far more expensive, so didnt get the export orders the US machine did.

The machines still in service are getting a bit tired these days, but not bad considering most are around 40 years old!
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 02:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Steve,

The FV432 is an entirely different design to the M113, but it does look somewhat similar.

In fact the 432 is superior to the M113 in most respects, particularly protection and mobility.

The main problem is it was far more expensive, so didnt get the export orders the US machine did.

The machines still in service are getting a bit tired these days, but not bad considering most are around 40 years old!

Here's an interesting link that will make them last them another 40 years.

http://www.defense-update.com/products/f/FV432M.htm

moderator edit-fixed link
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 03:07 AM UTC
Interesting link murdo,

to be honest, i think up armouring and up gunning them would be a waste of time based on their current roles(ambulance/mortar carrier etc)

Most of the problems at the moment are due to the old engine and transmissions, and the fact you cant fire an 81 mortar out the top hatch without bottoming out the suspension
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 02:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Interesting link murdo,

to be honest, i think up armouring and up gunning them would be a waste of time based on their current roles(ambulance/mortar carrier etc)

Most of the problems at the moment are due to the old engine and transmissions, and the fact you cant fire an 81 mortar out the top hatch without bottoming out the suspension

:-) :-) :-)

I wasn't endorsing the idea! Sounds like a good way for somebody to spend absolutely wagonloads of £££ while claiming to save it.

I'm sure the British Army is absolutely overjoyed with the idea.
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 02:57 AM UTC
Anyway, on to business and my SLOOOWWWW FV432!

Drivers hatch finished, commanders cupola... Don't think I'll continue with this one? I don't like it at all! I think I made a complete hash of it and need to redo it. Too high and too narrow and really just cack!

Rear hatch started. Basically, this will be a plastic circle with panel lines etched in it (yes, of course it will have hinges).

It's not TOO difficult so far but it really is time consuming. I had to throw away three hatches because I just wasn't happy with them... Commanders cupola about to go the same way...
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 06:17 PM UTC
Looking good. I admire your skill and patience. I'll count my blessings that I got my FV432 kit for half price and didn't have to go through this.

Paul
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 09:00 PM UTC

Hey!!--------nice touch---that driver hatch spring -----proud of you
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
Chiefy
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 09:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Interesting link murdo,

Strange the lockable Hydraulic suspension from the FV434 isn't used on the Motor carrier.

Can anyone point me in the direction of literature on the FV430 series? I've done the web to death and am still stuggling to find decent 3/4 view drawings, descriptions etc etc.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 12:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Can anyone point me in the direction of literature on the FV430 series? I've done the web to death and am still stuggling to find decent 3/4 view drawings, descriptions etc etc.

Try the following:
http://www.fv432.com/

http://www.arm-soft.com/FV432%2011ea55.htm

http://www.arm-soft.com/fv432.htm

and look for FV432s on here:
http://www.primeportal.net/the_battlefield_armor.htmere

There is also a AFV Profile floating around but it's nothing great.

Paul
Chiefy
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 12:56 PM UTC
Thanks for the quick response.

Some of the links, I already have but the others will fill in some of the gaps.

I'm amazed that there are so many variations. Not just the actual vehicle models ie APC,Motor Carrier, Recovery etc but just between APC to APC. Some of the distinct differences seem huge. Maybe some adhoc repair work or battlefied mods going on.

I'm puzzled as to the lack of decent line drawings for such a popular vehicle though.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 07:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm puzzled as to the lack of decent line drawings for such a popular vehicle though.

Well you could always go to George Bradford's AFV 1:35 Scale Drawings page (http://www.afvnews.ca/1-35g.html) and order B74 FV432 APC but there is a minimum order of 5 drawings.

There is supposed to be a book coming on the FV432 but I'm not sure what the status is.

Paul
XENOBORG
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 03:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gday,
I was with a Brit regiment for a couple of years in the 90's and one of the armoured squadrons used the AFV 432. Does anybody know of a kit version or something similar that could be scratched without too much difficulty.

Cheers
Alex H

XENOBORG
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 03:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gday,
I was with a Brit regiment for a couple of years in the 90's and one of the armoured squadrons used the AFV 432. Does anybody know of a kit version or something similar that could be scratched without too much difficulty.

Cheers
Alex H

As far as i know there is only one company that makes a model of the 432 and that is accurate armour it comes straight up on google product code is K032 is is very detailed im just starting mine only problem quite expensive ill let u find that out for yourself
Cheeseboard
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 09:33 AM UTC
Hi Bud

If your lookin for a 432 model try Cromwell models they do them as well bit cheaper than accurate armour.
Oh the type 432 you used at 14 sigs was the 436 or 439 they had a different gear ratio in the final drive to cope with the added weight of all the radio equipment, they used the 434 final drive.
Dont worry i am a saddo, served 22 years in REME so your bend them we mend them!!! Happy scratch building bud.
mattjack
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 137 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 05:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gday,

Cheers
Alex H

Gday, cromwell models do good fv432mk2

http://www.xs4all.nl/~cromwell

GnrSebs2414
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 09:34 AM UTC
Hi guy's,this scratch building thing looks great,Barv if your willing im able,id love to do this with you guy's,
I'm currently a serving member of the british army,so i could get loads of photo's from my Gun garages.
All up to date.
Thanks guy's
Sebs