_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
AFV 432
Gastel
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 59 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 09:06 AM UTC
Gday,
I was with a Brit regiment for a couple of years in the 90's and one of the armoured squadrons used the AFV 432. Does anybody know of a kit version or something similar that could be scratched without too much difficulty.

Cheers
Alex H
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 09:17 AM UTC
Alex
the only versions of the FV432 available as far as I know are in resin from Accurate Armour and can be found here

432 series

hth
Pete
Gastel
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 12:29 PM UTC
Pete,
Thanks mate, just what I was looking for. A bit pricey though.
Might have to wait for that special occasion.

Cheers
Alex H
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,594 posts
Armorama: 973 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 01:30 PM UTC

Alex.....................if you fancy "scratching" one.... I may be able to help
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
Gastel
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 02:13 PM UTC
Barv,
Thanks for the offer cob but my current skill set doesn't stretch to a full blown scratchbuild. I was going to be building antennae and internal radios as it was. Just have to put it in the too hard bin for a while.

Alex
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 02:27 PM UTC

Alex ----------if you can "butt" join two pieces together at right angles or read a simple diagram ---then you can build a 432-----its only a box witha pointy bit stuck on the front and over-hangs for wheel wells--------the rest --as detailed as you want
I Have diagrams ----and odd "AA "BITS ---spare track and road wheels------If you want to have a shot------will sort things out for you
Scratchbuilding is fun ----like sky diving-----once you take the first step there is no "going back" :-)
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 09:05 PM UTC
Alex,

The AA 432 series of kits are excellent, well worth the money!

which regiment were you with, as there are quite a few different varients of the 432 still around

regards

Joe
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
KitMaker: 1,569 posts
Armorama: 1,385 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 11:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Alex ----------if you can "butt" join two pieces together at right angles or read a simple diagram ---then you can build a 432-----its only a box witha pointy bit stuck on the front and over-hangs for wheel wells--------the rest --as detailed as you want
I Have diagrams ----and odd "AA "BITS ---spare track and road wheels------If you want to have a shot------will sort things out for you
Scratchbuilding is fun ----like sky diving-----once you take the first step there is no "going back" :-)
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)

I really want to see some of them! Since I have no chance to get an AA kit here, and since I´m in recovery from the accident I have couple of weeks ago, I have plenty of time to study some schematics....getting a scratch built 424 will be a nice match for my Chieftain :-)
Cheers
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2005 - 04:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

aye
BARV
(GOSMG)

Hi Steve,

I'm definitely game for this if you're willing to help... Please...

I just haven't a clue where to start with something this big a project. The biggest things I've scratchbuilt is boring out headlights and adding foil and melted, clear plastic lenses. I spent about three hours doing it tonight. I kept dropping the lenses on the carpet. Clear plastic is VERY hard to find when it's only about 5mm wide. Found a great use for a Maglight though.

I drove a 432 in the '80's, (Zero Bravo, the command wagon) and I'd love to give this a bash.

Regards

Murdo.

barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2005 - 05:30 AM UTC

Klaus...Murdo----Well ....how can I ignore sucha plea..(welcome to the ""Force"" )...ok ....give me a day to dig out the plans and pics.....my filing system "sucks" :-)
Have a part made basic fv432 and fv 434in a box that I will photo and use as a "template" to work with you on-line
Alex --be happy to have you on board as well --if you wish----in fact all welcome ....( --apprentices --- :-) :-) :-) )
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
[[ps........A scratch-builder a day ...keeps "Dragons"at bay]](Edited))
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Armorama: 1,423 posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2005 - 05:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Steve,

I'm definitely game for this if you're willing to help... Please...

"Darth barv" does it again...
Be carefull Murdo. Once barv manage to put the thought of scratch building in your head you are sold, and like me, converted to the dark side...
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Cheers
Erik
Gastel
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2005 - 10:17 AM UTC
I seem to have started something here. Barv I hope you won't regret your offer but if others are willing to give a 432 a try then I would be a fool not to join in. Perhaps we can have a group build and swap notes.

Joe,
I was in 14 Sig Regt as the OC of Yankee Troop which had 5 432's fitted with Vampire Radio Equipment.

Here's to a successful build.

Alex H

PS
Perhaps the 68 quid isn't too expensive after all :-) :-)
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2005 - 01:08 PM UTC
Alex,

as far as im aware sigs use basic 432s, theres a chap in my unit who transfered from sigs. ill ask him if he has any photos etc.

He has given me photos of their spartans before so he may have some of the 432 also.
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2005 - 05:02 PM UTC
I'll try and find some photos of my 432. It was a Regimental Battlegroup Command Vehicle. C/S 0B (Zero Bravo).
challenger
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 01:00 AM UTC
When the Sigs command 432's were converted to Clansman they were also reclassified as FV436 ASV's( Armoured Staff Vehicles) because of the MODs that were done to them
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 01:47 AM UTC

HIi All-------
Those who wish to have the fv434 plans .......(fv432 to follow)------please p-m your e-m addy
These are "basic "out-line plansof main components
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 02:04 AM UTC
If I remember correctly the 434 was the REME Job with the big hole in the back?

It was quite a different shape to the 432 at the rear.
MonkeyGun
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 943 posts
Armorama: 825 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 02:25 AM UTC
Im so so tempted to "go to the darkside" as a very first scratch build the simple shape of the 432 seems appealing

NOOOO NOOOO i must not :-)

Then again gimme a day or two to think it over

Ian
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
Armorama: 630 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 02:27 AM UTC
I have been wanting to build a Royal Engineers 432, with a Ranger anti personnel mine laying system on top, towing a bar mine layer, for many years. To complete the "mine train" I would require a CET as well. I know AA do both the 432 and CET (Combat Engineer Tractor) but scratch building a 432, as a start sounds like fun. I spent many "happy" years commanding one 'o them tin cans. I might even have a few pics, somewhere
Mal
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 02:52 AM UTC
Hi Mal,

I just bought the AA CET from ebay. It really doesn't look like an easy build. The instructions are a bit vague (a bit?) and the tracks really don't look like they're going to be much fun.

I work about 200 yards from a CET and this incredibly strange and ugly vehicle has really intrigued me.
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 05:55 PM UTC

Murdo.............you have the best ref. along side??----------------Get the camera out ----then you can tie up all the bits with the insructions (Dont forget the old geezer 's copy :-) ) Have built this little diggy----not for the faint hearted---but goes together well
Mal .................copy of fv432 plans on way...sorry nothing on "bar mine-layer" at the mo.
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 12:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"Darth barv" does it again...
Be carefull Murdo. Once barv manage to put the thought of scratch building in your head you are sold, and like me, converted to the dark side...
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Cheers
Erik

Hi Erik,

sorry, forgot to reply to this one.

I've would love to be able to scratchbuild. I just haven't a clue how to begin or even what I actually need to do it though I suspect it's probably not really all that difficult to do.

I'm really looking forward to this. I just hope I find the time to do it. Work, SWMBO and kids willing.
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 09:36 PM UTC

Pics working now --"sussed" it ---will put up bits to help soon ---got to cut one up to show the parts

Just to let you see whats in store :-) :-) :-)

This was a re-build from a wrecked recruiting stand model that travelled in a trailer for 4 years -ex -Acurate Armour
Be back soon
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
ps.........Little bit in "bed" of white one --jib base of green
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 02:02 AM UTC
Back to the grind!

Supports for top "deck".

Top deck on and Louvre (Vent) surrounds in:

Louvres in and first part of Drivers hatch in:

This is hard work. My noggin is killing me!
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Armorama: 1,423 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 02:15 AM UTC
I have to say that this looks promising, Murdo. Looking forward to further progress pics.

Cheers
Erik
 _GOTOTOP