_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Winds still blowing...
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 11:31 AM UTC
Posted by John (Easy_Co) in another topic...

Quoted Text

I read on site news that there is going to be seperate sites for aircraft, ships etc now Ladies only . Community! i think i need to think about this one.

John,
Communities come in all shapes and sizes. When I started on AOL for example there were several thousand people using it. When I went to the discussion areas I would see at most.

Lobby
Lobby A
Lobby B
Lobby C

And on a really busy night we might be surprised to see "Lobby K". Keep in mind each Lobby (chat room) only held 26 people or so.

After about 5 years they were doing

Lobby786
Lobby787
Lobby788

My point being that communities evolve. If they don't they die. We are evolving. What was good for 200-500 core members is no longer what is good for 1200+. The good part is that this will not be a "scary" process. Nor will it mean that our larger community will become overly fragmented. By doing what I plan on doing it should become bigger and better. But it will also make each area more nimble and responsive to members needs and wants. The reality is that there are a lot of modelers on this site that aren't armor/AFV modelers. But I haven't heard them speak up... yet.

So for everyone who has raised concerns (and I am just picking your comment John because it seems about the norm for people who have voiced objections) please don't be afraid of change. As I have said in the past regarding modifications to the site....

Change is good.

Cheers,
Jim

PS: And yes this is slightly distracting me from getting the gallery and email working again. Back to that...
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 11:47 AM UTC
Does this mean we may see a seperate softskin site or a seperate Allied AFV and German AFV site?

Jim I for one think that these type of changes are going to happen as the site grows. Thank you for the time and effort you have put in to make this site what it is today.

Cheers
Cliff
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 12:17 PM UTC
Cliff,
Thanks for your feedback. It may well be that we see these kinds of sites pop up. We are already talking about a 1/48 scale site which would tie into Armorama much the way our non-armor sections do now.

So a Softskins focused site is not out of the question.

Hope your feeling well for the holidays.

Cheers,
Jim
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 01:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Does this mean we may see a seperate softskin site or a seperate Allied AFV and German AFV site?

im up for that! no more german fans complaining about our opinions on DMLs latest releases! :-)

chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
Armorama: 727 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 01:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Posted by John (Easy_Co) in another topic...

Quoted Text

I read on site news that there is going to be seperate sites for aircraft, ships etc now Ladies only . Community! i think i need to think about this one.

Isn't that kind of harsh? I mean I don't want to start anything but it appears that some people kind of want this to be a male dominated site.

~Chip
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 01:46 PM UTC
Well I for one do not think it is Harsh or in fact that it should be a male dominated site as all forums (except staff and A guard) are open to all. In effect this just means a certain name on a forum not a lock out of some members because of any issue.

Cheers
Cliff
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
KitMaker: 2,174 posts
Armorama: 582 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 03:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In effect this just means a certain name on a forum not a lock out of some members because of any issue.

Don't want to drag this thread into another discussion about the Ladies Only forum that's being discussed currently, but that particular forum is a lock-out. It's only for ladies (and females ).

Since it's not part of Armorama, I dropped my grumbling, but it wouldn't be so nice if one had to be a modeller of German armour to post in that forum/DG. Or a Vietnam modeller to visit the 'Nam Only forum .

Access should be the name of the game if we want to encourage newbies, women, etc., not exclusion and segregation. I don't think anyone begrudges the ladies a forum, or newbies, or kids for that matter. It's the 'only' part that sits a bit heavily.

Hope that didn't sound too harsh, either .
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 03:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

but it wouldn't be so nice if one had to be a modeller of German armour to post in that forum/DG. Or a Vietnam modeller to visit the 'Nam Only forum .

I very much doubt whether this would ever happen as it would be too hard to control.

cheers
Cliff

PS> I'm sorry I did not know the ladies forum was not open to all.
 _GOTOTOP