_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
M4A1 Sherman in progress
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 06:23 AM UTC
For those of you not following the Italeri Sherman Group Build here are some shots of my Sherman in progress. As of last night I finished the building phase of my Sherman (I still have to attach the antenna though). Tthere are some more here: http://groups.msn.com/armorama/italerishermanm4a1groupbuild.msnw?Page=1 )

The grey pieces are DML bits from the spares box. I wanted to do my own periscope guards using Kencelot's method, but ran out of 26 gauge wire and couldn't get more in a timely manner. The tools that are brass are Collector's Brass items that are American style tools rather than the British style ones included with the kit. All of the tool attachment points and tie downs, .50 cal clips on rear of turret, skirt hanging brackets, tow cable, and tow cable clamps are scratch-built items made from aluminum and brass sheet, aluminum foil (for tie-down straps), picture wire, sheet plastic, brass tube, wire, and hex rod. I dropped the kit .50 on the floor and rolled my chair over it accidently while searching for it so I had to replace it. I used a Skybow .50 cal with a truck pedestal mount instead. I just modified the mount to look more like the type on tanks. The 76mm gun is an offering from Chesapeake Model Designs.

Any comments or criticism is welcome.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 08:34 AM UTC
Great looking Sherman Adam How did you get the texture on the hull and Turret?
Chad #:-)
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 08:39 AM UTC
Adam--amazing work! One of these days we have to hook-up.
Welll done.
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 08:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

put quote text here

Thanks Chad. I used the method that Werner described in his excellent article on this site about texturing AFVs. I applyed Testor's liquid cement and then stippled with a stiff bristled brush. After everything was dry, I hit is lightly with fine steel wool.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 09:34 AM UTC
I only say it when I mean it..."She looks wonderful"! I like them bogies too.
I need to get some pics of mine up here real soon, perhaps Friday.
Are you all ready for the painting Adam? It's one of my favorite steps in completing a model.
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 09:49 AM UTC
Thanks for the kind words DJ & Kenc.

DJ--Yes, we should get together sometime. Tankshack and I were kicking around the idea of having a get together of Northern Virginian Armorama uses maybe at one of the local hobby shops or something. I will keep you posted.

Kencelot--Yes, I am ready to begin painting. I just finished priming the bogies and will be beginning to prime the rest of the kit shortly. I just jumped on real fast to look up a piece of information that you provided in another thread about how long the antenna of a Sherman should be. I hope to begin actual painting next week (I'm going away early tomorrow moring for the holiday and won't be back until Sunday evening).
tankshack
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 11:08 AM UTC
Adam,

The Sherman looks great. I am especially impressed that you did not give in and just use Eduard/Aber's latest edition for a sherman.

The scratchbuilding is very rewarding and you have done a most excellent job.

Now I know where all the Grandt Line Bolts went... ... the bogie truck looks awesome also.

Later,
Tim

octupus
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 411 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 01:35 PM UTC
Adamus,

Very nice kit you have built! I was reall impressed by the toolings. Wanto see it painted and weathered.

Steve
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 01:41 PM UTC
Adamus,

agree with Stephanus, it's one of a nice looking Sherman. I am especially impressed with all the little tools there, and texture on the hull. I had tried this texture thing once with my Jagdtiger, didn't work out too well...Now I can see it's because I haven't got the skill there....

Your Sherman will looked beautiful after painting! Now can't wait for it....
Aitch
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 138 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 01:16 AM UTC
Great closeup of the bogies - I'm thinking about an M4A3 soon that one photo sums up pages of notes I've gathered about what needs modifying...
Gatekeeper
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 142 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 05:34 PM UTC
Wow!...very nice!...I like all the little things on it!...cant wait to see more updates!

Cris
Bender
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 05:27 AM UTC
I have to agree with gatekeeper, Very nice job there

Bender
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 06:26 AM UTC
Thanks for the compliments guys. I started painting and will post the final pics here when I finish.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 02:08 PM UTC
Great work Adam. Im at the same stage now... ready for painting! I didnt do as much scrtachbuilding though. Just the sand-guards attachments. I used the kit barrel and filed it down and Im quite happy with that. I also damged the track covers ends a little.
I have built a M32 and a M7 priest as well so I will paint both of these at the same time. Looking forward to seeing your painted!
 _GOTOTOP