Hosted by Darren Baker
Anyone with Tamiya 1/48 Tiger...
JamesDean
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 77 posts
Armorama: 67 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 03:22 AM UTC
This is probably going to sound like a strange question, but before I order one of these, can you confirm that it consists of good old plastic, and that the metal hull is made of something benign.

I dont want anything resin, or metals with lead content.
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Armorama: 969 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 03:26 AM UTC
I have built the 1/48 Hetzer and can confirm that to the best of my knowledge the metal hull is unlikely to be based on lead. It is a hard metal that is really well primed.

John
Nick61
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 04:41 AM UTC
Hi There

I've checked my unbuilt Sherman, the hull is an aluminium zinc alloy similar to that used for die cast cars and a little harder than that used for motorcycle engine casings. It is supplied coated in light grey powder coated rather than painted I think. This may need roughing slightly with fine wet or dry paper and of course will need super glue or epoxy to attach the plastic parts with.

The Skybow Tiger is all plastic and may be a better alternative. Track 48 stocks them on your side of the water.

Best Regards
Nick Perry
wingsntreads
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 174 posts
Armorama: 123 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 07:51 AM UTC
If I may consider the Skybow Tiger, much better kit all plastic are far more deatil than the Tamiya Tiger kit. The Skybow kit is superior in every way. Just my 2 cents but having built both I think you will get more enjoyment out of the Skybow offering over that Tamiya.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:43 AM UTC
I'm going to third this motion, and risk being accused of 'Tamiya bashing'. I've also built both the Tamiya and Skybow Tigers, and Skybow just blows Tamiya away - it has better fit, better fine detail, no molded-on tools, and most important, no die-cast lower hull. The only critisism I can make is that on the late Tiger l, no extra track links are provided for the hull front, as on s. Pz. Abt. 101 in Normandy, and must be scrounged from other sources.
JamesDean
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 10:26 PM UTC
At the risk of embarasing myself, I've never heard of SkyBow. Can anyone give me a link to their site, or maybe to a review of their Tiger?
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:30 PM UTC
Skybow started out in the late 1990s with some outstanding 1/35 scale softskins like the Beep, Big Shot, Patton's command car, and a couple versions of the post-Korean era M38A1 Jeep. Their final kit in this scale was a really nice M41A3 Walker Bulldog that was better than AFV Club. AFV Club acquired most of their molds and have recently started reissuing the Skybow kits.

Skybow decided to go into the 1/48 scale armor market but got beat to the punch by Tamiya. They do two Tiger 1 kits and are really nice looking. Go to the Perth site below and then to 1/48 scale vehicle reviews.

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/
wingsntreads
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:34 PM UTC
The Skybow kits and new individiual link tracks are both avalaible at http://www.wingsntreads.com/catalog.php?category=75
Nick61
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 12:01 AM UTC
Hi All

Sorry Winston I didn't mean to cause any offense by omitting Wings n Treads. I was checking something else and suffered brain fade that's what happens when I try to multitask

Best Regards

Nick Perry
wingsntreads
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 11:18 AM UTC
No problem Nick. I just try to get the word out there. Currently I'm working on the new Jagdpanther from Tamiya. It's a nice kit. Hopefully I will have word from Skybow soon about new kits. Keep your fingers crossed.
JamesDean
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 07:44 PM UTC
Well the Skybow looks like a killer kit, but unfortunatly because my LHS doesnt have a source, it ends up QUITE a lot more than the Tamiya kit for me (if I was to mail order it).
wingsntreads
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 12:08 AM UTC
I've been trying to get the word out about Skybow kits. I have yet to get the LHS's in my area to buy them either. After working very hard to get these in the country now I'm sitting on several cases of them. I have sent some out for review to various sites to try and get interest in them. Here is a link to one of the reviews
http://modelingmadness.com/scotts/misc/military/skybow/4833preview.htm

wingsntreads
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 12:11 AM UTC
If you decide to go with the Tamiya kit I would at least suggest getting either the Hauler PE sets or LionMarcs workiable tracks for them. LionMarc has just released new clickable versions of the tracks as well. They should be avaliable at track48.com , wingsntreads.com or if you want to spend more money greatmodels.com.

Winston
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 12:57 AM UTC
Hi Winston,

Any word on Skybow's Firefly Vc?

wingsntreads
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 04:01 AM UTC
I asked my contact about that stating that it was one of the most anticipated kits coming out this yeat and the response I got back is info on thier new line of airbrushes and compressors. I will keep asking until I get a definate answer for you. Unfortunately they don't communicate very well. I'm not sure if it is a language issue or a failure to understand the marketing side of the buisness or both. As soon as I get news I will definatly let everyone her know.
nfafan
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 11:19 AM UTC
FWIW, I picked up both Skybow Tigers off a Canadian eBay seller. Search is your friend.
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 11:27 AM UTC
Hi Winston,

You can explain to your Skybow conections that the M4A4 was the main battle tank used in WW2 by Canadian troops, and between the Firefly Vc and the standard 75mm M4A4 variant, it will sell very well here in Canada! I myself may keep the company afloat for while,... just on sales of this kit alone

Frank
IdiotStick
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 07:39 AM UTC
I'm in on that one too, Frankie!
JamesDean
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 08:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you decide to go with the Tamiya kit I would at least suggest getting either the Hauler PE sets or LionMarcs workiable tracks for them.

Dont you mean if I go with the Skybow? Didnt we establish that the Skybow has one-peice vynil but the Tamiya at least has quasi-independent links....
wingsntreads
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 08:37 PM UTC
The stand alone kit ahs one piece tracks but you can now get the Skybow individual link track for $11. Or you could use LionMarcs new clickable Late Tiger Tracks in 1/48 which are excellent. I carry both plus the kits in my store. www.wingsntreads.com
JamesDean
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 10:54 PM UTC
Those who have built the Tamiya, did you have to sand off the hull's primer where things are glued to it?
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 11:23 PM UTC
Hi James,

No, just add a dab of CA glue and make sure the wheels are aligned.

Frank
wingsntreads
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 01:41 AM UTC
super glue also works fine I use 3Ms super glue gel.
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 776 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2006 - 08:17 PM UTC
I looked at the Tamiya Tiger and compared to the SKYBOW tiger. Hands down the Skybow kit is a superior kit. It is really a better kit, costs a few dollars more, but its worth its cost.
JamesDean
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2006 - 05:26 PM UTC
Just as a follow up to my original post....

Because Tamiya Customer Service had assured me the kit's hull contained no lead, I had the LHS bring one in...only to find the telltale California warning on the box about containing chemicals known to cause cancer etc. When I questioned Tamiya again, they changed their tune to say that it did contain lead.

Probably only trace amounts, and you'd have to sand off the primer to get at it, but the fact remains: if you dont want the stuff in your models, be advised its there in these kits.

To their credit, because they misinformed me, Tamiya arranged for me to return it even though I had started assembly on it.
 _GOTOTOP