_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Windsheild Wiper Marks
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 602 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 08:26 PM UTC
Hello there folks and good morning.

Happy New Year to all and I hope nobody is feeling too worse for wear this morning.

Now to my question.

I often see models with the windsheilds all dusty except where the wipers have traveled thus keeping the windows clear.

I love how it looks but how the *$@% do you make the masks too do this?

I have been trying to make some and am having no luck at all. As I always seem to find the hard way to do things first I am here asking for help.

I figure someone on here will be able to point me in the right direction and hopefully give me some tips to make this easier.

Have a good one and thanks.
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 945 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 10:33 PM UTC
The way I would approch this method would be using a compass and masking tape.

1. Use a ruler to measure out the length from the tip of the wiper to the base of the wiper and draw a straight line on the masking tape

2. Use the compass to measure out the distance between the tip of the wiper and the base of the wiper and then draw an arc on the masking tape.

3. Use the compass to measure out the distance between the end of the wiping blade and the base of the wier and then draw an arc on the masking tape.

4. Draw a straight line connect the first arc (long) and the second arc (short). There, you have yourself a fan shape masking.

5. Cut out the fan shape masking and tape it on the windsheild.

6. Airbrush the dust over the windshield and when the paint dries, life the masking.

You should have yourself a desire effect on the windshield.

However, personally I do not recommand doing this effect unless you are working on a weathered modern vehicle. Here is the reason:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/66576&page=1

WC
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:41 PM UTC
Thanks for your reply Benjamin

I feel kind of silly as I didn't even see that post that you linked for me.

But thanks for pointing it out to me however. It really gave me some food for thought. It never even occured to me that these marks in WW2 vehicles are probably not realistic.

I have noticed in this hobby how easy it is to fall into the trap of doing something because its what everyone else seems to be doing. Things like the wipers and others like the blackened muzzle and over rusty tracks to name a few.

I will however keep your tips handy for some modern projects as I do dabble in that too from time to time.

Jeff
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:56 PM UTC
Jeff - I feel compelled to offer a different opinion.

If you wish to model the wiper marks - then do so and have fun. I don't quite agree with the sentiments about the "realism" of rendering the effect. The concept of "realism" in miniature scale is highly subjective. What matters most in the end is that you like and are satisified with your results.

I feel that the vogue "wash and drybrush" technique is grossly inaccurate and inappropriate - but certainly don't want to squash someone's desire to render it on their model. It's just one method a modeler can use to express their views of the subject matter in miniature. Some subtle applications are done very well and enhance the model, and I appreciate it for that.

Gunnie
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 12:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I feel that the vogue "wash and drybrush" technique is grossly inaccurate and inappropriate - but certainly don't want to squash someone's desire to render it on their model.

Jim

Its funny that you mention this. I just finished up Academys M3 Stuart the other day. I did the wash/drybrush technique that everyone talks about.

I am very happy with the result of it but this morning when I was doing some touch ups I was wondering how realistic it really is? I figured its not really, but I like it and would try that technique again. I build for myself so in the end its just me I have to impress.

I plan to try someother techniques that I have seen on this site on future builds to see how they work.

As for the windsheilds. I will probably try it on my next project and will try not to overdue it.

I like to try different things and this hobby is supposed to fun after all.

Jeff

MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 01:28 AM UTC
I measure the length of my scale wiperblade and then use a drawing compass set at this measurement to draw a circle. I then increase the circle size by the same amount and draw a second cirlce around the first. Then it is just a matter of cutting on these lines and then cutting your 'circle to the right length to match the wiper arc.

Quoted Text

If you wish to model the wiper marks - then do so and have fun.I don't quite agree with the sentiments about the "realism" of rendering the effect. .

I agree with you about Modeling being about having fun Jim but I believe the weathering effects should be as realistic as you can get them. Otherwise I may as well do fantasy models

Cheers
Cliff
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 01:48 AM UTC
If you like it, do it.

The windscreens would get some dust / mud on them till the driver cleaned it off. If there is dust or mud anywhere on front of the vehicle then there will be some on the windscreen.

If you are depicting a vehicle on the move in dusty / dirty / muddy conditions then yes, the windscreen would get dirty... And yes, the driver would use the wipers till he found the time to carry out essential maintenance like cleaning the windscreen.

It is not always tactically possible (or wise) to stop just to clean your windscreen.

You don't need to overdo it but if the vehicle is on the move the crap would be on the windscreen.

Wow, how many times have I written "windscreen" in the last year? Yep, I think they're all here. :-)
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 945 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 01:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I agree with you about Modeling being about having fun Jim but I believe the weathering effects should be as realistic as you can get them.

Quoted Text

The windscreens would get some dust / mud on them till the driver cleaned it off. If there is dust or mud anywhere on front of the vehicle then there will be some on the windscreen.

If you are depicting a vehicle on the move in dusty / dirty / muddy conditions then yes, the windscreen would get dirty... And yes, the driver would use the wipers till he found the time to carry out essential maintenance like cleaning the windscreen.

Ditto guys. IMHO I weather only when necessary. Tony Greenland said it best "I'm trying to present a perticular model of a vehicle, not the type of the soil where this vehicle fought."

WC
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 02:05 AM UTC
Again - everyone has their opinion(s) on what looks realistic or not. It isn't worth debating and winds up being a circular arguement in the end - and has nothing to do with whether or not the point is to model something "realistically". The point is the approach and methods used.

Ultimately to enjoy your pursuit of the hobby is the best of all approaches.

Gunnie
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 757 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 02:25 AM UTC
lucky for me there aren't any windshield wipers on my mods thus far.

but i do agree if ya happy with it, then do it that way...........

happy new years

reb in texas
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 02:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

lucky for me there aren't any windshield wipers on my mods thus far.

:-) ~ Gunnie
FOXBAT31
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 03:08 AM UTC
Hi Jeff and a Happy New Year to you too and the Great White North,

I'd personnally do the same as WILDCARD, with the exception of, instead of spraying dust, I'd spray DULL-COTE. That way, if I am satisfied with the finished result by the visible contrast between the sprayed and unsprayed windshield areas, I can leave it like that. However, if I want a more dramatic effect or 'grimmier' look, I can then drybrush or wash whatever color I want.; due to the DULL-COTE, the coated surfaces of the winshield are now ready to accept and grip the paint. Furthermore, I'd recommend the use of acrylics for this steps since they are more forgiving than enamels, and can be wiped off up ot a point.

Best of luck,

Martin
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 03:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jeff and a Happy New Year to you too and the Great White North,

I'd personnally do the same as WILDCARD, with the exception of, instead of spraying dust, I'd spray DULL-COTE. That way, if I am satisfied with the finished result by the visible contrast between the sprayed and unsprayed windshield areas, I can leave it like that. However, if I want a more dramatic effect or 'grimmier' look, I can then drybrush or wash whatever color I want.; due to the DULL-COTE, the coated surfaces of the winshield are now ready to accept and grip the paint. Furthermore, I'd recommend the use of acrylics for this steps since they are more forgiving than enamels, and can be wiped off up ot a point.

Best of luck,

Martin

Agreed. I like the use of and look of the dullcotes. Polly Scale's acrylic Flat works very well in this application. It looks good if you mist it over the "glass" and then want to simulate wiping away with a rag by using a Q-Tip cotton swab.

Gunnie
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 03:41 AM UTC
Wow thanks everybody for replying to my post.

You have all given me some great ideas and tips and also some good insight inot this crazy hobby of ours.

As for weathering my models. If they are just going to be for shelf display I like to weather them just a bit. I like a dusty look so they don't look like they have just rolled off the production line.

Thanks again

Jeff
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,339 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 04:02 AM UTC
Hey Jeff,
I should send you a photo of the windshield of my service van after a run to Bracebridge, or even home after work on a wet snowy day.. Ive seen my windshield looking just like the efffect you are going for.. I say go for it.. If its a technique you've never done before, have at it.. I know Im doing a 6x6 at the moment and I will be dusting the windshield

Dave
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 1,026 posts
Armorama: 654 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 08:44 AM UTC
Dust will build up after a long, hard, ride, not to be cleaned off until a refuel or piss stop.

But what about rain and mud? Here are a few shots of this effect I tried a few years ago.

And to echo some other posts--I enjoyed toying with the idea, and pleased with the outcome.

My mask was very accurate, but then again I've noticed the rain on my car windshield didn't keep the wiper pattern for very long. It runs and drips as the blades pass.

Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 09:53 AM UTC
Dave

I definitly know what you mean. Just driving to Orillia everyday my Honda is filthy.

I think I will use it on some of models. I think the key is to not overdue it which can be very easy to do with weathering I have found.

I do like the dull coat idea that Jim and Martin mentioned.

Cheers everyone.

Jeff

FOXBAT31
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 10:51 AM UTC
Hello again Jeff,

Realism or Scale Effect? Well, I set myself out to find me some dirty Hummvee windshields with wiper marks on the internet. While I did not find many of these in my search, there were a few. Nonetheless, the extreme difficulty in finding said images speaks volumes about the the discipline and dedication of the American soldier.

It was a search that provided some hearbreaking and disturbing images, so I would not recommend doing it to anyone.

Best regards,

Martin

_GOTOTOP