_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
"OBG - PATTON" - Gunnie - M60 MBT
Elad
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 269 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 04:55 PM UTC
Gunnie,

thats a beautyiful build!

I think you are going to be the first to finish an OBG entry.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 05:25 PM UTC
Excellent job, Jim!

I plan to build exactly the same conversion with ESCI hull and CMD turret. Your pics and this whole thread will be priceless reference! Thanks!
I plan to use AFV Club tracks on mine.

Pawel
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 11:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent job, Jim!

I plan to build exactly the same conversion with ESCI hull and CMD turret. Your pics and this whole thread will be priceless reference! Thanks!
I plan to use AFV Club tracks on mine.

Pawel

Thanks Guys! Pawel - I fitted the AFV Club tracks to these Drive Sprockets in answer to Chris' question above - and they fitted very nicely. So nice, in fact, that I'm going to use them and ditch the Academy poly-vinyl runs. They are a much better option.

I was trying to keep this thread brief because some members don't like "mega-threads" - but if there's some information that you'd like to see me post here (including technical manual drawings or photos of the real M60 tank I'm using for reference) to help you out - just say the word!

I'm writing a really long conversion article along with the model for uploading on my site when done - but who wants to wait that long!

Gunnie
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2006 - 06:49 AM UTC
Update: I've got my dry-transfers on the model and am working through weathering and some small detail painting now. It's very close to being done now for the Campaign and was a lot of fun. A M60A3 might be next on the docket...

Gunnie
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2006 - 07:29 AM UTC
Very cool looking build Gunnie. Congrats!
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2006 - 07:56 AM UTC
Wonderful job,brings back memories.
I did think of a detail you can add.The final drive oil fill,level,and drain openings.
The fill can be done with a small drill on the top of the final drive.
The level would be just inside the curve of the sandshield,near the tailightside.and the drain would be at the bottom,so the oil could be drained.
I recall the plugs were possibly 1/2"sq drive openings,or maybe a hex opening.I forget if we used the end of a ratchet,or a large allen wrench to remove them.
Also I had a plain canvas cover,with long straps which covered the searchlight.There were 2 straps,going from the top,back to around a metal rod going side to side on the back of the searchlight.The bottom straps went the same way to another cross rod on the lower part of the searchlight.
jcneel
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 135 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2006 - 09:08 AM UTC
Jim -

Looks great - congratulation!

cn
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2006 - 10:32 AM UTC
Looking great. I like the colorful markings. Sure beats the standard all-white markings that you usually see from that era.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2006 - 10:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wonderful job,brings back memories.
I did think of a detail you can add.The final drive oil fill,level,and drain openings.
The fill can be done with a small drill on the top of the final drive.
The level would be just inside the curve of the sandshield,near the tailightside.and the drain would be at the bottom,so the oil could be drained.
I recall the plugs were possibly 1/2"sq drive openings,or maybe a hex opening.I forget if we used the end of a ratchet,or a large allen wrench to remove them.
Also I had a plain canvas cover,with long straps which covered the searchlight.There were 2 straps,going from the top,back to around a metal rod going side to side on the back of the searchlight.The bottom straps went the same way to another cross rod on the lower part of the searchlight.

Thanks everyone!

Carl - I'm gonna go ahead and engrave the Filler/Drain detail into the Final Drive Housings that you suggest. :-) I think I have some photos of the openings.

I'm torn between how to model the Searchlight in the end. I have the interior completely finished - just need to pop off the plug there to keep the exterior paint off. But - I really like the look of some covers I've seen during that time period. I think the cover might look nicer. I guess I'll sleep on it...

Gunnie
ahueger
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 217 posts
Armorama: 214 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2006 - 11:16 PM UTC
Jim,
simply outstanding, I really envy you! Self made dry transfers ? How do you make these? They look really good, makes a nice the old OD look even more interesting ...
 _GOTOTOP