_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Unusual question...
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 02:29 PM UTC
Hey lads
If I were to build a Vc Firefly, what could I use from the spares box?
I have leftovers from:
DML M4A1 early
DML M4A3 (76)
Have a Tamiya and Italeri M4A3 hull. Figure I'd need solid roadwheels and idlers though, and oh yeah, a 17lb gun tube?!
Would this be all? My main concern would be if there were enough in the DML kits that weren't used in order to build one ie. the deck and rear hull, box for rear of turret etc.
Cheers for any help.
Brad
Oh, had a thought. If I got my hands on the instructions for the Vc firefly, it would be easier to see what I'd need?
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 04:11 PM UTC
Hi Bradley,
I have the instructions for the Dragon Firefly, I'll see if I can scan them tonight in work, and failing that I could pop them in the snail mail. As for which parts you an use or need, all I know with certainty about Shermans is that they have six wheels on either side.... :-) .

Cheers
Henk
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 05:37 PM UTC
hey there..

here is a bit of info for ya..

Its my understanding the Sherman Vc was a M4A4 Medium Tank modified with 17-pdr gun (Firefly)

the British desigations for shermans was V for M4A4 and a c for 17 lb gun..
British names for the sherman

by the way .. on the road wheels.. are you looking for the dished solid or the solid with the 6 stiffener's in them?

ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 08:37 PM UTC
You really don't have the right stuff there to build a Firefly Vc. First of all the Firefly was buit on the M4A4 hull or the M4 Composite hull of which you have neither. Unless you have an extra M4 hull and want to chop the M4A1 and M4 hull to make a hybrid I'm afraid you're out of luck
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 08:45 PM UTC
Hi Bradley ...I hate to say this but you're starting with a handfull of nothing... You could always order a new hull and turret from Formations along with his detail set for the firefly ...The rest you have ...The Wheels even your tracks will have to be changed because the length won't be right ... I think your best bet would be to pick up a Dragon kit and save the spares for your next project .

Rick

ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 07:37 AM UTC
Hi Brad:
Like the other posters, I have to agree that you don't have much by way of ingredients for a Sherman VC. What you have is the beginnings of a large Sherman spares pile -- unfortunately little related to the M4A4 or the 17pdr turret.

Grab the DML 6182 kit.

Alan: there was also a few 17pdr conversions mated to the M4 welded hulls too (non composite). Rarer than the Composite hulled ICs but they existed.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 12:35 PM UTC
Yeah no worries! Thought it was a little too ambitious, but these spares are just building up too much! Didn't mention I have the left overs from 3 x M4A1s for example, and have enough indiv. links to befuddle many, many unfortunate people...
Thanks for all your assistance though
cheers
Brad
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 11:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

but these spares are just building up too much!

Brad,

The problem is that you are buying Shermans mostly used by the US and trying to make a Sherman used by the Commonwealth. :-)

If you had an M4A4 hull laying about, I'd suggest making a Sherman V ARV Mk I. No turret required and you might be able to cobble up the needed bits from the spares box.

If you have a 75mm turret you could take a DML M4A1 and make a Canadian Grizzly quite easily.

Paul
 _GOTOTOP