_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
M4A4 Construction Completed
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 08:44 AM UTC
I finished the construction and modification of the turret for my Canadian M4A4 today. If you missed the first pics of the hull (click here to see them) then what I am doing is converting the DML Sherman Firefly Vc into a 75mm-gunned M4A4. I took these pictures before painting (I don't know when I'll get around to that part ) so you can see the changes I made to the regular kit.

Modifications to the turret included:
1) replacement of kit parts with The Tank Workshop M34 mantlet and aluminum 75mm barrel
2) deletion of loader's hatch, filling the opening with white plastic sheet and green putty
3) scraping off minor details found on the Firefly and filling in some little holes with putty
4) shortening the rear turret bustle
5) creating more distinct lines for the commander's cupola
6) modifying the turret race into something resembling a circle
7) changing the antenna system slightly
8) adding a tie-down/grab-handle(?) with Milliput, but only because the kit piece went flying off into oblivion
9) adding heavy cast texture using the plastic cement and stiff brush method (I am starting to get the hang of it, I think)

Nic
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 09:46 AM UTC
Nic,
Nice job, I love the mantlet and barrel. They really stand out. What are your plans for figures? Is a commander in the future?
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 10:25 AM UTC
Very nice !
I'll be glad to see it painted !
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 10:47 AM UTC
Hi Nic,

Nice job. Wiil it be the Ortona one ?

thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 11:30 AM UTC
Very nice job!! you fixed alot of things that most of us would have let slip thru... Really nice built now what are you planning for the markings and scheme??

Richard
Bender
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 11:53 AM UTC
yea it looks great!! very nice job, what did you use for the antenna? been looking for a realistic way to make one, my wire jobs never come out straight, might have something to do with the wire coming on spools, but i cant prove that yet....

Bender
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 11:59 AM UTC
Nic--truly marvelous job. Beautiful workmanship
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 12:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nic--truly marvelous job. Beautiful workmanship

Can't say it any better. Great work!
tankshack
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 12:09 PM UTC
Nic,
Now that's why you won UOM...

The model looks really nicely done. I really like the fact that you did not go hog wild and use the latest photoetch something or another to add that extra bit of insanity to the build.

The model looks very clean... it seems to be well researched and the mods are all executed with skill.

I look forward to seeing more of this project.
Later,
Tim
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 12:12 PM UTC
Thanks guys. There is a dio idea behind this tank. It will, as TUGA said, be a Canadian Sherman in Ortona. This Italian town saw horrendous fighting between Canadian infantry and tanks (of the Three Rivers Regiment) and some elite German paratroopers during Christmas 1943. The battle became a miniature Stalingrad, with Hitler ordering the town held at all costs, despite the fact that it had lost its strategic importance. My M4A4 will have a commander inside the tank, just peeking over his cupola as he supports some Loyal Edmontoners (infantry) attacking along a rubble strewn street.

The tank, then, will be painted in regular Olive Drab with decals for a Three Rivers' Sherman made by Ultracast. Any ideas (pics) for stowage would be appreciated.

Bender -- The antenna is made out of stretched sprue. Heat a piece of sprue over a candle until it begins to droop, then, lifting away from the flame, stretch the plastic out really thin. By holding it out straight while it dries, you can get a pretty straight antenna. I'm actually not too good at the technique. I get my little brother to make them. It's about the only way I can get him interested at all in the finished product :-)

Nic
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 03:57 PM UTC
A technique I use with spool wire is to wrap a little around a weight and dangle the weight off the end of my desk for a couple days. To speed up the process, apply heat to it for a couple minutes then let cool completely while still hanging down.

Nice lookin' rig ya got there Nic. Out of curiosity, why didn't you use the DML M4A4 instead of modifying? I have that one and need to know if something is wrong with it.

Rob
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 05:03 PM UTC
As I understand it, the suspension that comes with the normal M4A4 kit is wrong in that it does not have the horizontal return roller arms. The Firefly has the correct suspension and, though I knew I could change the armament and do the other little differences fairly easily, I thought modifying the suspension would be more tricky. Of course, you can ask whether this really matters or not. Indeed, most normal people wouldn't notice any of the changes I made, but accurizing a kit was actually a new thing for me and it was quite fun. Since it's my first Sherman, I also wanted to use all the information I could scrounge from various articles and Shermanaholics out there.

Nic
lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 340 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 05:46 PM UTC
Great job
Brandenus Pimpus
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 01:08 AM UTC
Nic -- Great job! I can't wait to see it finished.

Rob -- Nic mentioned the horizontal bogies, but he also had to correct the lower hull length, which is a problem with all DML M4A4-based vehicles. In Nic's earlier thread, someone posted a link to Mike Canaday's drawings on how to shorten and correct the DML M4A4 lower hull.
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 01:16 AM UTC
I am looking at your older post that shows the hull and can't see any difference between the suspension on your and the suspension on mine. Can you point out what a horizontal bogey bar is so I know what to fix?

Rob
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 05:54 AM UTC
I think the arms leading to the return rollers are upswept as opposed to horizontal. I don't have the regular M4A4 kit, but this is what every review I could find said. With the Firefly kit came the sprues with the upswept arms as well as horizontal, so I did see the difference.

Nic
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 01:18 AM UTC
Nic--That is a great piece of work you have there. Keep up the great work. I can't wait to see the finished dio!

To think all of these years I hated seeing Shermans, but now I crave them. I have truly turned over to the dark side of Shermanoholism. Does anyone know if there is a 12 step program out there?
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 01:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nic--That is a great piece of work you have there. Keep up the great work. I can't wait to see the finished dio!

To think all of these years I hated seeing Shermans, but now I crave them. I have truly turned over to the dark side of Shermanoholism. Does anyone know if there is a 12 step program out there?

First, Nic, another nice piece of work, really love it!

And Adam, heard a program lately for you Shermanholics, it's actually really a one step thing, it called "TIGER"!
M4A1-M4A3
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 78 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 02:34 AM UTC
Nice job, I love to see Shermans before they are painted, just to see all the detail work put into them.
Sherman nut this I am.!!!!! #:-)
octupus
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 411 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 03:10 AM UTC
Nic,

Again, very nice job! I like the way you modified the Tank.

Steve
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 851 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 04:50 AM UTC
Nice work Nic
The improvements are well executed
You seen to know our Sherman variants
I am planning to do a Firefly in the future but haven't done musch research
Could you tell me:
What type of suspention did the Firefly have? , What type of inerior, wet or dry stowage?

Nice work,
Andrew

Bender
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 08:31 AM UTC
thanks for the info on the antenna guys, have heard about the stretched sprue, just didnt think it would look that good, gonna try that and the weight/heat idea for wire
thanks again guys

Bender
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 12:38 PM UTC
For your antennas, try brass rod. You can get it in really small sizes. It is really strong and hard to bend.

Patrick
 _GOTOTOP