Hosted by Darren Baker
use or loose the Ger. eagle
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 04:48 AM UTC
Use it or loose it - can't decide if I want this eagle statue as part of my Ger. municipal, canal, authority, condom distribution center bldg.
Its supposed to be a German canal lift bridge government bldg. - built during the pre war German rebuilding program under Hitler, after becoming chancellar [ sp ? ].
I like it, but then it looks too goofy all in the same perusal.
Maybe it will look better after alls primed and painted - either way its not attached so no problem.
There will be a map room, [ right side 3rd flr. ] and a radio room [ left side 3rd flr. ]. All to be fully furnished with desks, file cabs. etc.
What do you guys or gals think ?
Cheyenne

Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 04:51 AM UTC
I see what you mean, to me it looks too 'grand' for that type and size of building? What could you put in it's place though?

Vinnie
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 05:03 AM UTC
Hi Cheyenne,

I would keep the Eagle, the Germans loved that bombastic pagantry, and Eagles where everywhere. ( Not that I was there...but photographic evidence does point in that direction... :-) ) Me reservation is with the balcony on the side. It looks out of proportion. I think a smaller, symmetrical balcony, without the elaborate railing would be more in keeping with the 1930's art deco style you are looking for. In the same line of thought I'm not sure about the little roof below the Eagle. It looks a bit to much like a veranda to me... . But I see that you have only just started that one, so lets see what it turn out as.

I like your layout idea, will you be adding figures inside the rooms aswel? Try to get the Dragon " German Field Command Post " set, it's got a full set of radio's and two radio operators which are great for this.

Cheers
Henk
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 05:04 AM UTC
Yeah Vinnie, I've seen alot of German eagles adorning bldgs. and such and size never seemed to matter to the 3rd Reich, as a matter of fact the bigger and gawdier the better, but still there is something wrong.
The eagle comes from an old American flag, all seem to have this on the top of the flag stick.
I liked it because the pig metal looked concretey and in a 1/35 roll ..... good, I guess ?
Maybe a smaller version ?
Cheyenne
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 05:04 AM UTC
How does the roof sit over it? Is there a peak over the eagle or an eave?

A peaked roof over it will change the 'scale' of the eagle and might help. An eave over it will emphasize the size and could make it worse.

thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,299 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 05:18 AM UTC
Cheyenne:

I would keep it. I read Speers bio and in most of his pics there were eagles. They were on most of the german govt buildings. You building looks great. Cant wait to see it done
MiamiJHawk
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 05:24 AM UTC
Oh Cheyenne:

Most definitely you want to keep the Eagle, in my
view.

Just adds so much of that atmosphere of pomp
and pagentry, folklore and ancient historical
past to the setting.

In no way does it take away from the viewers
eye because it isn't an overpowering SIZE. At the
size it is, the viewer just sees it and registers it in
the gray matter as the way things would have
been and goes on to the next feature.

Dude, are you an architect by trade? Your buildings
are just fantastic. But I'm aware many have
previously stated this fact. Still fantastic
modeling, just the same. I never tire of looking
at the three dimensional examples
of your creativity.
blockhaus
Visit this Community
Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 693 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 05:32 AM UTC
Hello Cheyenne, in my modest opinion doesn't believe that this eagle this in the correct place, is not also the type of eagle of the third reich. The eagle is used in heraldry as " dominance " concept , is something long of explaining but an eagle always puts on in the highest place or in the main place, in the American flag she usually crowns the stick of the flag. For sure there are exceptions but in general it is this way. your eagle is " prisoner " among the walls. The functional style of your building doesn't seem also the most appropriate for a decoration so elaborated as that eagle.

... and congratulations for you outstanding work :-)

Carlos
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 05:37 AM UTC
Hi Henk, yes I have the Dragon command set and plan on using it as well as the Tristar commanders [ fat - general dude ] as well as other assorted Ger. gens. and officers from Verlinden, Warriors, Coree, etc.
Sad to say the balcony must stay as it is an integral part of the second flr. all floors fit snugly atop another and whats there has to stay. I will be adding concrete pieces under the balcony for support reasons, and like I said it just looks too cool hanging over the canal across from the lift bridge shanty control shack thingie.
The purpose for that balcony is because it hangs over the canal in the dio. a-la Venice style and I thought it would look good.
I also want to test my scratch bldg. on a retractable, crank awning thingie for over the protruding balcony, I promise no carnival colors l.o.l.

Mark, the roof will be in a horseshoe shape and the alley in the center of the bldg. [ 2nd flr. ] will be open all the way up to the sky - so no roofing will be over the eagle.

WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 945 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 05:38 AM UTC
I'm with Vinnie on this one. I think it looks out of proportion. IMHO a smaller eagle statue or Nazi flag would "connect" the whole building better.

Quoted Text

the Germans loved that bombastic pagantry

:-) :-) :-)

WC
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 05:40 AM UTC
I like the eagle (I like Danny too ) - however, I don't like the proportions and position. I am not a big fan of the recessed area it's in. The arch doesn't quite fit the 'squareness' of the building.
If you want something to display - what I would do is put in a blank wall and put up a tapestry of the swastica.

Hey - what about the starfish in the last picture - would that work there?
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 06:00 AM UTC
Bingo - thanks Benjamin and Scott , a nice rectangular Nazi flag - thats just great now I'll have to try and work the flag and eagle in and play with that for awhile. l.o.l.
No Rick I'm not an architect, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night, just kidding, actually I'm a phone lineman. [ Verizon ].
Carlos, thanks man, I think thats why I liked it, it looks more like a Ger. eagle than an American one in some ways.
I can always sh*tcan the eagle and the arch and make the long roof spanning the whole front of the bldg., two smaller awning type roofs on the fronts of the two peninsula shaped rooms.
Scott thats not a starfish thats Patrick from Sponge Bob l.o.l.
Cheyenne
battery
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 336 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 06:25 AM UTC
Keep the eagle change the style (it looks too French 1st empire)
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 06:42 AM UTC
The German eagle in the mid 20th Century was more stylized like this:

Very art neuveau. Harsh lines.
Your eagle looks to realistic and the architecture, while beautifully done, looks more rustic Ammerica to me. I expect to see Matt Dillon on the boardwalk or Al Swearingen on the balcony.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 06:44 AM UTC
I think the eagle does not fit in that space. I think it would look better on the roof rather than a little alcove
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 08:17 AM UTC
Ok - I was mezmarized by Patric and thought like him.

I re-read the thread and saw the note about no roof over the eagle - that will help and not makeit as 'square' and it will not make the size as much of an issue. One thing I may suggest (well actually I am suggesting) if you could cut off the eagle from the ball and lean him forward a bit it would add a bit authority and a 'watchfull' stance to it.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 10:05 AM UTC
Cheyenne
Go to www.thirdreichruins.com/reichsadler.htm
you won't be disappointed. Many new pics of existing eagles on period buildings in Germany/Bavaria and Austria. This may help make up your mind as I think yours just needs some revision...
Cheers
brad
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 04:39 PM UTC
I was thinking this morning on my O Dark:30 walk with the dog. "Ya know that diorama is going to be soooo big the eagle will be a small component and not a focal point. So if you like it - keep it".
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 09:59 PM UTC
This is strange. Upon first glance the eagle looks great. On second glance it looks out of place. I don't know. I think a huge banner with a swastika on it will give the diorama a bright splash of red to contrast with all of the concrete. Then, the eagle looks good again. Tough call.

Patrick
BigJon
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 01:44 AM UTC
sorry but did I read that right ?

condom distribution building ????

either way, I really like the striking german symbols...with a couple of small flags it should look quite the part. And as slodder said........its hardly going to stand out when the diorama is about 8 foot square :-)

as always mate - it's looking amazing so far
Wezz
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 826 posts
Armorama: 108 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 03:02 AM UTC
I should use a long rectangle flag... A pole between these two windows, You see where I'm getting to it?
Parks20
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 737 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 04:14 AM UTC
Hey Cheyenne,
I think the eagle looks good, and will give the dio some nice flavor, but I don't like the brick arch it's sitting on. I think that is what looks out of place. Maybe it will look better once everything is painted though. Just my two cents. Judging by what you've done so far, I'm sure all will turn out well no matter what you do with the eagle.
tango20
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 336 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 06:54 PM UTC
Hi Mate
I am torn between the egale and the flag is there anyway that you could say have the egale in effect sort of sculpted into the building not perhaps the one tjhat you have ,i do like the idea of the flag and i do agre with the post on the scale of things the egale would blend in as long as you dont paint it pink ...lololol.
And i think the flag would add a splash of color.
Speak soon
Chris :-)
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 03:03 AM UTC
I think the eagle is OK, but it's in the wrong place, lose the arch it's standing on & try it on the front of the balcony over the entrance. This would be much more in keeping with the photos I can recall of Nazi buildings.
 _GOTOTOP