_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
"WHEELS" Mr Roo's Tipper update one
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 12:27 PM UTC
Here is progress on my Australian Army CMP tipper.

The original thread is here.... https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/66813&page=1

Apart from the windscreen opening stays, rear vision mirrors and removing the seams from the tyres the tipper is now ready for paint. I will prime it first with Humbrol #1 grey primer and then it will be painted in Aussie Post 1942 green. This is a formula I have for the correct shade of green for post 1942 Aussie vehicles.

The cab back and roof and the tipper deck itself are only put on for purposes of taking the photos. I will seperate them for the painting. Now some of the sizes and thicknesses of the tipper mechanism parts are not 100% to scale but are a fair reprecentation of the parts. The interior of the rear tipper body is a bit rough but once painted it will be placed on a base and displayed dumping a load of coral sand as per the original photo I am using.

Any and all comments welcomed.

lots more photos of the whole build here.... http://photos.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/15741

cheers
Cliff
MonkeyGun
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 943 posts
Armorama: 825 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 12:34 PM UTC
WOW im in awe

Scratchbuilding at its finest Cliff , cant wait to see it finished.

Ian
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 04:13 PM UTC
Looking good so far Cliff.....
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 04:22 PM UTC
Ola Cliff

Looks like the king of trucks does it again aye. Great job on that vehicle it looks just excellent and of course your scratchbuilding skills are of a very high level. Which shows extremely well in this vehicle. Something to get jealous about.

Great Job, What will the paintscheme be? Another DownUnder master piece of painting?

Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,339 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 05:22 PM UTC
Very nice Cliff.. Cant wait to see it painted..

Dave
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 06:35 PM UTC
That looks great Cliff - never seen a tipper on a CMP before so a great choice of subject too.
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 08:06 PM UTC
Man it is great to see you building again. This is a very unusual subject, which I have come to expect from you Cliff. I love this one.
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 09:07 PM UTC
Looks good, very impressed!
PiotrS
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 10:45 PM UTC
Excellent job, Cliff! I'm always amazed how beautiful conversions can be scratchbuilt without all those AM stuff. Now waiting for painting
By the way what happened to your Ursus truck?

Piotr
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 11:31 PM UTC
Stunning work Cliff!

Have a pint on me!

Frank
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
KitMaker: 1,569 posts
Armorama: 1,385 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 12:06 AM UTC
Looking good, Mr Roo......using aftermarket or home made PE parts?

Contrats and Cheers
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 01:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Piotr

My friend the Ursus is back in the line waiting to get done. It was tricky enough not to want to build when you are feeling ill so I put it aside. Maybe next build

Quoted Text

Looking good, Mr Roo......using aftermarket or home made PE parts?

All home made Dexter although I will use an eduard PE rear vision mirror head. The mesh grill is Aber PE diamond mesh with a hand made sheet brass surround.

Quoted Text

Great Job, What will the paintscheme be? Another DownUnder master piece of painting?

Rob the paint will be nothing fansy just me post 1942 Aussie green with heaps of coral dust over it of course.

Thanks for your comments guys I really appreciate it. Animal it is good to be back. Maybe 2006 will be good to me and allow my health to stay stable enough to work the whole year through.

Cheers
Cliff
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 04:48 AM UTC
Lord Pouch,
Thanks for the close up of the hydraulic system.I was asking about it in chat the other night.I like the detail in that area.How much weathering do you plan? A dusty as opposed to a muddy coating?

(++) (++)
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,876 posts
Armorama: 1,120 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 05:21 AM UTC
Wow Cliff..you are like a fine wine..you get better with age
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 06:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A dusty as opposed to a muddy coating?

(++) (++)

Yes coral sand is very white and dusty so that is how the weathering will go.

Thanks for the comments

Cheers
Cliff
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
Armorama: 541 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 07:57 AM UTC
'Roo:

Outstanding as usual !!!! I really love the actuating mechanism and the U-bolts holding the bed to the frame -- I was surprised to see them go thru the bed rail & not just over it.

Question. I see 4 pairs of hoops on each side of the tipper -- I would assume they were to hold bows to support a canvas top/cover ? But there appears to be a lip around the bed that inhibits that use ??

John
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 10:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Question. I see 4 pairs of hoops on each side of the tipper -- I would assume they were to hold bows to support a canvas top/cover ? But there appears to be a lip around the bed that inhibits that use ??

John

John the hoops were not to hold bows to support a canvas tilt or cover. I think ( and even I am not sure) that they hold uprights to extended wooden sides. I have modeled them off a real tipper and have placed them exactly how they were on it.

As these trucks were never intended to carry any boxed cargo (except dirt, gravel, sand etc) or be used as troop transport they were never fitted with a canvas cover. The photo below shows them a little more clearly I think.

The 'U' bolts to hold the frame to the chassis were welded to the steel frame rather then passing through or over it.

cheers
Cliff
PiotrS
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 02:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Piotr

My friend the Ursus is back in the line waiting to get done. It was tricky enough not to want to build when you are feeling ill so I put it aside. Maybe next build

No problem Cliff, this kit can make you feel bad even if you are in great condition I'm thinking about Ursus for this campaign but must check Armo kit first. Maybe it's better.

Piotr
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 10:52 PM UTC
I wanted to join everyone else and comment on this one too - fascinating and a very fine piece of conversion work. It's an attractive looking truck.

I lived on Okinawa for several years, with the coral dust and all. It will be interesting to see how you model the finish. In raw form, this model truck is pretty nice already - did I say that already...

Gunnie
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 02:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It will be interesting to see how you model the finish. In raw form, this model truck is pretty nice already - did I say that already...

Gunnie

Jim Thank you for your comments. Coming from a modeler of your talents I concider it a very high compliment.

As to the weathering I too am thinking about how to do it and get it right. I have see coral sand on a regular basis but never having worked for long periods in it I have nothing to compare it with. Never mind I can always strip and repaint LOL.

This morning (my time) it will be primed ready to paint the base coat of Aussie green.

Thanks again

Cheers
Cliff
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 03:17 AM UTC
Just awesome! Your scratchbuilding is stunning. So what is next for this project? Is it ready for painting or do you still have tid bits to add?

Jeff
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 02:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

John

John
on thinking about it and studying some pics I have in more detail you may be right. I have been thinking of something sliding into the cleats but they may well be spacers for hood bow clamps to attach to so that the hood bows clear the angled lip at the top of the tipper body.

So rather then clips/clamps themselves they may be spacers only.

Cheers
Cliff
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
Armorama: 541 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 07:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

on thinking about it and studying some pics I have in more detail you may be right. I have been thinking of something sliding into the cleats but they may well be spacers for hood bow clamps to attach to so that the hood bows clear the angled lip at the top of the tipper body.

So rather then clips/clamps themselves they may be spacers only.

Cheers
Cliff

'Roo:

I thought about bows for canvas but didn't even think about side extensions which are more logical.

Regardless, the real picture you showed indicates they stuck out a bit past the lip around the tipper body -- I didn't think yours did (stick out) and that prompted me to ask the question.

I think what you say above makes sense, that something mounted onto them which then supported a side extension or bows which cleared the tipper lip.

John
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 06:10 AM UTC
Hey Cliff. Very cool and unusual truck .... but the CMPs cant be beaten. Great conversion work ... always a treat to see and watch the progress.
Hope the health holds up so we can see more of these. All the best.
 _GOTOTOP