Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya Hetzer
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 05:45 AM UTC
Well, it's almost complete. Tamiya's 48th scale Hetzer, OOB with the hatch handles replaced with wire. Feel free to comment on it,... shy of changing the paint scheme, anything goes.

A couple of questions,.... is the MG stock metal as shown, or should I paint it a wood colour? are the periscopes the right colour? should the exhaust look that corroded, for something that new?

thanks,
Frank

MonkeyGun
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 943 posts
Armorama: 825 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 07:05 AM UTC
Thats one very nice Hetzer Frank

What method did you use to achieve the hard edge cammo effect ???

Nice rusting on the exhuast as well

Ian
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 08:36 AM UTC
Very nice, pretty sure the MG stock is wood, maybe a few manufactured in metal...they're already heavy enough :-)
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 11:16 AM UTC
Looks brilliant Frank! The MG34 stock would have been wood although some were manufactured using a type of Bakelite.

Vinnie
wingsntreads
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 174 posts
Armorama: 123 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 11:36 AM UTC
Looks very good, I tried the Hetzer but had problems getting the tracks to line up. I currently finishing the Jagdpanther and I think it looks pretty good. Now if I can find a way to post I will post pictures of it for you guys to critice
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 945 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 12:08 PM UTC
Frank, this is beautiful! Your craft and style has been my favorite since you post here. Great job once again! I hope in the future when I post my work you can give me a point or two!

I prefer you use the same technique you paint the schiwimmy on your MG stock. I really like that style. The convoy lights would be great if painted blue/purple.

WC
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 12:18 PM UTC
Very nice Hetzer, very nice indeed. The hard edge camo looks really good. I love the subtle weathering.
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 12:24 PM UTC
Frank that is one wicked Hetzer, I have to second the motion as to your style of painting its just awesome. Please tell us a little about how and what your steps are. I am sure there are a lot of us here that want to know. Cheers Kevin
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 02:36 PM UTC
Thanks for the kind comments folks,...

Kevin, Ian,... the method I use for hard edge camo is a simple one using Tamiya tape to mask off each individual paint colour, I have photographed the Hetzer at every step of the build and will post the photos in my gallery, under the Hetzer album, when I get a chance in a day or two (see below).

Shain, Vinnie,... thanks, I'll paint the MG34 stock, wood.

Benjamin,... anytime!, just PM and I'll do my best.

Clarification...... The convoy lights, are they a dark blue?

As an aside,..... It's 4:30am local time, I just got back from the hospital, it seems I'll have plenty of time to model in the next 8 to 12 weeks....... Lori (my wife) and I went to the YMCA for our Wednesday night workout and 2 hrs of volleyball, one hour into the match, I went up for a spike and came down with a thud!..... I've managed to rupture my achilles tendon, on my left leg, I had four x-rays done and will go back to the hospital for an ultrasound tomorrow, and more than likely.... surgery. I've been told that recovery is slow at best!

still smiling
Frank
Alpenflage
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,120 posts
Armorama: 1,002 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 06:09 PM UTC
Excellent work on your Hetzer, Frank. Hard to beleive its in 1/48th with this level of detail. That BMM/Skoda factory camo is fantastic. Weathering and paint scratching couldnt be better.

Great work, and it inspires me to branch out and try this scale of armor modelling. Besides, Hetzers are cool to begin with !

Cheers !!

Alpen

PS....Good luck on your recovery.
wingsntreads
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 174 posts
Armorama: 123 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 07:23 PM UTC
Sorry to hear about the injury, as someone who has suffered a simular injury I can tell you that the road to recovery is long but don't let any doctor tell you that there are things you'll never do again. I suffered my injury on the last part of a PFT while active in the Corps. My doc told me I would never walk without a limp and never run again in my life. Well I've proved them wrong on both counts. Take it easy for now but My wishes are with you on your recovery.
rfeehan
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 727 posts
Armorama: 648 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 08:22 PM UTC
Best wishes for a fast recovery. That is one fantastic Hetzer nice job.

Neo
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 916 posts
Armorama: 758 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 08:32 PM UTC
Hey Frank,

Look on the bright side...

A bad day modeling is better than a good day at work!

I’m building the Tamiya Hetzer right now also. Did you find any major issues / problems?

Your paint / weathering looks outstanding, hope mine comes out half as good. I think I’m going to do Ambush Camo.

Also, I think that the MG on Hetzer was remote control from the crew area so it did not have a stock on it (I’m far from a German Expert so maybe some other members know for sure but I’ve seen a few photos like that)?

Great Job & hope your leg is OK,
N E O
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 08:59 PM UTC
Frank, the rear convoy light of the sort you have on (early) is a sort of mid to light blue colour.

Vinnie
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,339 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 03:29 AM UTC
Great looking build Frank.. Is this the precursor to the Eduard Hertzer you bought?

Sorry to hear about the ankle.. Will you be mobile for the Guelph show in March?

Dave
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 04:55 AM UTC
Hi Dave, considering it's just 7 of us doing the show, and I'm the head judge, I'll be there,.... regardless of the condition I'm in! My surgery is tomorrow, and the surgeon has informed me that I'll be immobile for about 6 weeks with another 6 to 12 weeks of intense physiotherapy....... hhhhhmmmmmm, break out the sanding sticks! Here's the link to the show info...

http://www.thesprue.com/index.htm

Hi neo,... no issues with the build, it took me 6hrs to slap the model together, and about 30 to paint it.

Frank
bottlerocket
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 07:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Your craft and style has been my favorite since you post here

It's true, your work is inspirational...I'm currently building the Tamiya Sturmgeschutz/ Sherman (1/48) and constantly refer to your photos for reference...thanks!

good luck...N
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 776 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 08:17 AM UTC
Love the way the colors just blend. Looking at it just seems relaxing to the eyes.
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 09:56 PM UTC
Very impressive Frank! Personally I don't like to see late war vehicles looking like scrapyard items, they didn't see enough service to look that bad. Yours is just right IMHO. Don't worry about the exhaust. it's fine, the heat soon disposes of any paint finish on a mild steel exhaust, just crawl under the car & check (unless it has a stainless system that is, they just go a yucky brown colour!).
StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 357 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 10:01 PM UTC
Best wishes for a speed recovery!

And the Hetzer is superb!
waikong
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 25 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 11:36 PM UTC
Excellent work, the paint & weathering is great. I especially like the streak marks - how were those done?
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Armorama: 969 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 01:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Also, I think that the MG on Hetzer was remote control from the crew area so it did not have a stock on it (I’m far from a German Expert so maybe some other members know for sure but I’ve seen a few photos like that)?

Great Job & hope your leg is OK,
N E O

I would imagine that it would have had a stock attached so that it could be dismouted and used, on the CVR series we carried a stock, so that by replacing the recoil assembly we were abhle to use it dismounted in the Light Machine-Gun Role.

John
Salvo
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
Armorama: 182 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 01:37 AM UTC
Beautiful paint job, and awesome model. Sorry about the foot, but at least you have a great hobby to keepyou busy while you recover. All the best.

Cheers,
Salvo
Neo
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 916 posts
Armorama: 758 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 01:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would imagine that it would have had a stock attached so that it could be dismouted and used, on the CVR series we carried a stock, so that by replacing the recoil assembly we were abhle to use it dismounted in the Light Machine-Gun Role.

You would think they would but...

...not all did.

I don't know how common / uncommon this was.

BTW - This is a great Hetzer page (it never shows up on Google).
http://www.pzfahrer.net/
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 04:37 AM UTC
Frank, just an outstanding looking Hetzer here, very very nice!

This model would make an excellent Models on Display Feature on the Armorama home page. If you're interested in submitting 10-12 pics that show this one off, please let me know, and we'll get them submitted.

Great work.

Steve
Armorama Content Scout
 _GOTOTOP