Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 05:56 AM UTC
Palm Tree Models--Incredible

Note about half way down you can buy bulk Coconut Fronds.

HartOfTheSouth
Tommy_Guns
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 06:19 AM UTC
Wow... that is something else, I can't belive the detail of them. I would imagine these would look quite nice in any Pacific Theater Dio.
Recon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,571 posts
Armorama: 764 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 07:12 AM UTC
Has anyone dealt with this company? I am planning a south pacific dio and these trees would look great on it.
Recon
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 1,735 posts
Armorama: 586 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 08:40 AM UTC
Not to put a dampener on anybody and indeed thanks for highlighting this very interesting site Fred (JPTRR), I've noticed the palm is about 7 and 10 inches. assuming its 1/35 this translates to a 20 and 29 foot palm. Not too tall by tropical standards. There should be no problems if you are featuring short palms or using figures mainly. You may want to consider building up the height if you put a Sherman against it or some other tall AFV. Palms at beaches can easily reach heights of 50 foot or more but then they usually slant by then coz of the weight.

The other is the base of the palm doesn't have the characteristic bulge because of the root base in most coconut palms. Again no big deal unless you're as obsessed with fine details like myself when it comes to vegetation.

Of course as everybody knows, painting some variation in leaves color will help realism and the addition of 1 or 2 droopy drying fronds will help too. A couple of coconuts thrown in would be excellent.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
KitMaker: 2,174 posts
Armorama: 582 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 08:58 AM UTC
Have to agree with CK. The fronds and trunk detail are incredible, but height and base are a bit off. Preiser gives a set of four palms (two coconut and two king coconut) which have an accurate trunk base and actual nuts. Maybe the Hart fronds could be combined with these. If not, you have to scratch the roots, as this is quite noticable in coconut trees.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2006 - 05:02 AM UTC
Ditto CK n Dave
But that said, I wold rather be faced with the option of extending an existing trunk, than redoing the business end!
Also the matted root ball at the the base would be easy enough to reproduce...
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
Armorama: 752 posts
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2006 - 07:18 AM UTC
These are great. Especialy the individual fronds this would do away with a lot scratch building. The trunk are not near as time consuming as the fronds.
 _GOTOTOP