_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
'Netiquette' On Armorama.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 11:28 PM UTC
Just a quick reminder, that it's considered (on this site), VERY bad manners to post one-word-messages or to answer a string of threads (in ithe Introductions Forum -for example)...It's also considered 'bad-form' to 'Post For Rank'.....

Can people PLEASE stop doing this?

Mr Gloss, can you hear me? ..Jim
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
Armorama: 192 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 11:46 PM UTC
i just noticed this, and thought we had a troll loose. to the person in question, tell us what you're building, if you use this site properly you'll have a great time here with modellers of all abilities. and number of posts is no indication of any sort of seniority
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 11:52 PM UTC
When I logged on last night there appeared to be several people that had posted on every thread all the way down the page.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 12:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

When I logged on last night there appeared to be several people that had posted on every thread all the way down the page.

If they have something to say, what's the problem? I"ve noticed some people chime in with every thread, yet often have little of constructive value to add. And you know what? It takes me less than a second to scroll past to something more interesting. I'm sure there are those who post to bump up their total, Someone even posted in the Junk Drawer to tell us his friend told him he should point out he'd reached 5,000 posts. More power to him if that's what he wants. I peronally don't even use the rank system, nor do I care about reaching such milestones. As for the guy posting on every thread down the page, well, that could be me on any given month. If you're gone (as I am) for weeks, or even sometimes months on end, maybe you like to catch up with what you've been missing out on. (yeah, some places still have no internet, can you imagine?)
It's easy to see that such is the case with me, when you see the long periods of inactivity where I show no posts at all.
If you REALLY want to see where people are obsessed with their post count, and reminding others of it (such as noobs) jut get a membership to ar15.com.

I'll give you an example in my next post, but then I'll delete one from my history, just so folks don't get suspicious.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 01:37 AM UTC
Replies in the Introduction no longer add to your post total. Meant to do this a while back and this seemed like the right timing.

I welcome all new members and many of them don't see the harm, but that is only because they probably haven't discovered the Latest Posts page yet.

Cheers,
Jim
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 01:45 AM UTC
I just saw this, too. But what I saw was almost all of the posts were in the introductions. I tested a few of them and most had a siple comment to the person who started the thread.
As far as post counts and rank, who cares?
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Armorama: 1,458 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 01:52 AM UTC
Don't know where the "one word message=bad manners"came from.Doesn't make sense.Could be construed as dumb or such I guess.Post for rank?Doesn't count with me,'fun stuff' by the avatar.Now as far as introduction posts go,I might post a welcome to them in groups because;
1)I'm reading reviews,news,tips,or features that I'm assigning a higher priority at that time.
2)Since Armorama is a family of 14,000+ and I am a member of A-Guard,I think welcoming new members to the family should be done quite regularly and frequently.
Jim,would you like to be a NooB to the site and not have your 'Hello' answered until almost off the page?
Didn't think so.
Oh,congrats again on your 5,000 post.Would have missed it if you hadn't posted an announcement of it....
Let's have one of these and model on,shall we?
cheers!
Gloss
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 77 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 02:18 AM UTC
To all in Armorama.

I apologise for answering a string of threads in the Introductions forum. I am fairly new to posting and did not know this was considered poor manners.

I have done what I consider to be the decent thing and I have deleted these posts.

Apologies again, I did not wish to upset anyone.

Mark
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,339 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 02:19 AM UTC
Perhaps its time to think about doing away with the post counts and or ranking systems.

Dave
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 02:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Perhaps its time to think about doing away with the post counts and or ranking systems.

Or - I've often pondered the possibility of hiding the Post Number counter from view - but keeping the Rank Avatars. You wouldn't "know" when you were approaching the threshold for promoting to a new rank level, and it might be fun not knowing and being surprised.

Doing this won't completely eliminate those out there to post for earning rank - but it would squash "congratulate me for my xxx post" type threads and erase the temptation to the newer members to post all over the place to earn new rank.

Gunnie
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 02:28 AM UTC
Jim, I agree with you on the one word threads,......a bit lame!

Some of the threads are answered as a polite gesture. If I see a posting showing a modellers work and no one has answered to it, I'll post a brief comment just to make sure that individual isn't left out. This does not mean that I'm posting for the sake of posting, or that I'm writting a prewritten response.

If we begin to doubt the real reasons of why people respond to postings, then maybe we should all remove our ranks (BTW,... I removed mine shortly after reaching my 100th post. I was feeling guilty (as a civilian) of being given a symbol deserving only of our courageous fighting men and women (past and present), whom protect us civlians, so we may enjoy our livelihood in piece....

Frank

EDIT:

Mark...

Jim did not mean to point you out, Jim is a fantastic contributer to this site, he's slightly abraisive and ever so slightly opinionated, but that's the way we like him!
WindSword70
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 03:03 AM UTC
I could care less about the rank system--I didnt even care about it when I was in the military! :-) Since I have limited time, I post in the introductions to all the new members that I see because I feel its important to welcome all and not leave anyone out. I can see your point about the one word posts though.
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 602 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 03:05 AM UTC
Good post Jim.

I have been and still am involved in other forums and I have to say in terms of 'Netiquette' this place is the best I have seem in regards to the behaviour of its community.

I don't see any need of getting rid of post counts or ranks. I don't see alot of people doing this stuff on here and if it does occur it seems pretty minor and islolated.

Having said that, having this topic come up as a reminder is great. We can always stand to improve.

As for the introductions forum. What are we to do? Not say anything to new members? I know I will go in there once a week or so and check out who is new. I will say a quick hello to welcome them. I know I appreciated it when I first joined up.

Cheers
Jeff
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
Armorama: 192 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 03:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

To all in Armorama.

I apologise for answering a string of threads in the Introductions forum. I am fairly new to posting and did not know this was considered poor manners.

I have done what I consider to be the decent thing and I have deleted these posts.

Apologies again, I did not wish to upset anyone.

Mark

no worries mark, you made a genuine mistake and these things happen, like fogging up a canopy with c/a or losing very small parts to the carpet monster-don't ask! as for saying hi to the newbies its quite difficult to say hello and welcome 4 or 5 times differently, but that said i know how much i appreciated the welcome i got when i started here
now lets build!
EasyOff
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 926 posts
Armorama: 356 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 03:30 AM UTC
Hey hey hey! If you're talking about my 4 one word replies, I'm sorry, I was just trying to be funny. Jim reached his 5,000 mark and I wanted to do something silly to show that I was catching up. I meant no harm, Sorry Jim. I've only did it on the one post, if you have more, I don't know who or what your talking about.

It was 4 words, in synche I thought anyone could figure out that it was a joke if they read down the thread. I'll hunt them down and delete them like I deleted my exwife. I just hope that it doesn't cost me as much. Sniff... I was just being creative ma'an!
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 03:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Perhaps its time to think about doing away with the post counts and or ranking systems

Well,that could be done the miltary way.Jim could determine how much "time in service" members have since they joined.Then "rank" could be changed after a person has been an active member for X amount of time. (++) (++)
tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 1,430 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 04:06 AM UTC
I agree that "posting for rank" is very inappropriate. However, i myself am guilty of not posting on things for several days, them sitting down and "catching up" on things that i have missed. I think that that in itself is not the issue, its the "copy and paste" posting that is done in bad taste. At least we should try to vary what we say in our post , even in the introductions drawer.

Mary
Braystaff
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 154 posts
Armorama: 77 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 04:22 AM UTC
Posting for "rank" is not just something unique to these fine pages but seems to go on on most sites. One computer hardware site I used to use (until the summer school holidays when it was bombarded by complete muppets) has a several system to deal with it. One was to allow you to ignore members by using a ignore list and the other and which I feel works better is the admins would just reset post counts of people doing the trolling. Some people become obsessed by them. One admin member had over 16,000 posts and was the often the butt of many a joke.

I really could not careless if you have 1 post or 10,000. If you’ve got something worth reading I’ll read it. If not I’ll just use my index finger on my mouse scroll button.
Anti44Hero
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 42 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 04:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Perhaps its time to think about doing away with the post counts and or ranking systems

Well,that could be done the miltary way.Jim could determine how much "time in service" members have since they joined.Then "rank" could be changed after a person has been an active member for X amount of time. (++) (++)

I used to be apart of a forum that used the service time method, and I feel it worked rather well. The only time people really spammed for post counts there was to be stupid.

*Post count +1* (Kidding :-))
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
Armorama: 656 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 06:15 AM UTC
Read through the Introductions earlier on, one thing sure did stand out though. Except for the name, I noticed the same message 20+ times, in as many introductions.

I laughed so much the wife came to see what was happening. I say let them post, it beats the funnies anyday! :-) :-)
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
Armorama: 541 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 06:52 AM UTC
Some folks mention doing away with the post count & rank. One way to start a trend is to simply turn off rank in your profile - that solves half the problem & Jim doesn't have to do any more work.

I've only noted a couple "I just hit my n-th post" messages, thankfully. I left another board because of the focus on post-count vs content, among other things.

One way to de-emphasize the "look at my post-count " issue is to simply not reply to those type messages.

John
who turned off rank the day I joined ...
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 2,220 posts
Armorama: 1,707 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 07:04 AM UTC
Ha, I have been here a while and didn't even know how to turn off the ranks! :-)
bucko
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 38 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 07:37 AM UTC
A rank don't make you a better modler and 10,000 post dosn't make you a modling guru. You guy's have a great set up here so I say if it's not broken, then don't rank it or post it! :-)
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
KitMaker: 2,174 posts
Armorama: 582 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 11:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's also considered 'bad-form' to 'Post For Rank'.....Can people PLEASE stop doing this?

Why? No one aparently gives a damn:

Quoted Text

number of posts is no indication of any sort of seniority

Quoted Text

I peronally don't even use the rank system, nor do I care about reaching such milestones.

Quoted Text

As far as post counts and rank, who cares?

Quoted Text

Post for rank?Doesn't count with me

Quoted Text

I could care less about the rank system

Quoted Text

I really could not careless if you have 1 post or 10,000.

to quote just a few.

I myself don't care if you're a pvt, pfc, or 10-star lord of the universe. What do your builds look like? It's a website, not the Army.

Quoted Text

Just a quick reminder, that it's considered (on this site), VERY bad manners to post one-word-messages

Again, why? If someone wants to say something, let 'em. I'd rather have one word that means nothing than a paragraph that means absolutely nothing.

I can't believe we're actually discussing this. If you don't like what someone says, scroll on.

Can we have less BS and more modelling please? Thanks.
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
KitMaker: 1,569 posts
Armorama: 1,385 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 07:21 PM UTC
I guess that some of the post (like junk drawer, introductions, and so on....) shouldn´t be considered to the rank.

Having rank it´s not a bad thing per se, just a little introduction to new members and have a correct "netiquette" will correct any flaws or bad intentions.....

My2 cents

Cheers to all
 _GOTOTOP