_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
S33 Finally Finished
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 02:22 AM UTC
Hi guys, this is the final finished pictures of my Tiger I S33 sometimes in November 1943, it's the first time I am using Friul Tracks, interior, and doing figures, so any comment will be greatly appreciated. And thanks to all of you for your kind words and encouragement during the course of this build... And thank you for Stephanus (Octupus) for taking the pictures for me after our chicken Safari....

FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 02:37 AM UTC
Looks good dave

paintscheme looks good to me I also like the details as the damaged and bended mudguards
I only have a question (about one of the figures not the tank that one is good) the second figure that is sitting on top of the turret (not the commander) is he wearing a leather jacket or does he have a camosmock it looks to me that it has some sort of glanze and from my reference that was not so common sight by camosmocks. I could be mistaken or I might have misinterpreted by watching at the photo`s.
But anyway Davidus Looks good are you going to put it in some sort of dio??

keep up the good work

penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 03:04 AM UTC
That's very nice !
The only problem I can see so far is that the figures are a bit too "shiny". All you need to solve that will be a flat coat !
Holocaust59
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 03:27 AM UTC
That's pretty cool, I like the positioning of the guy in the front hatch, he looks like he's spotted an aircraft in the distance over to the right of the tank or something.
One thing though, is it going in a diorama?
It may explain something else I noticed. The damage and wear and tear on the schuerzen (is that how you spell it?) seems a little bit at odds with the condition of the rest of the tank, but that may just be the way the photo is lit. It would have to be involved in street fighting to be that badly scraped about in the sides I think. Or perhaps the driver is too busy looking at distant aeroplanes to watch where he's going LOL.
Really nice job though
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 06:06 AM UTC
Hi Guys, thank you for your comment and kind words.

The figures are indeed too shiny, I think I will put some more coat of flat to them. The crews are from Tamiya (the standing one) and the 2 sitting ones are from Tristar.

The bent mud guard is my attempt to replicate the S33 as seen in the book of Tiger on Eastern Front, it got the right side fender pretty bent up, the left ones seems fine though...must be a drunken driver, I guess... #:-)

No Dio though, my skills are not good enough for a dio...
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 06:35 AM UTC
Looks pretty good, one comment. Shouldn't the inside of the hatches be either Africa Corps Sand or Panzer Grey? They look out of place in the grey-green interior color.
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 471 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 06:50 AM UTC
Good job Dave. I was wondering about the figures as well, how did they get so shiny? Did u give them a glosscoat or were they like that from the paint? Now if you could just do something in OD green.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 06:54 AM UTC
I really like it Dave. The tow cables look very nice (how did you do them?) and the photoetch adds a lot to the model (is this the Aber set?).

I noticed the same things as the others about the shiny figures and the colour of the hatches (but maybe they are supposed to be white?). I also wonder if the commander's left hand should be resting on the cupola?

The battle damage is well done and you have shown that a realistic appearance can be achieved without the traditional drybrushing.

Nic
jackhammer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 357 posts
Armorama: 310 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 08:01 AM UTC
Hey Davidus,
I noted that in the first and second pictures the Fruil track on the left-hand(Drivers)side seem to loose.It is only in those pics though,buddy,so I am going to believe that it is me not the tracks.everything else you stated you have under control so,let the feathers fly and build that famo!Sieg Heil!
(:-)
slodder
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 09:55 AM UTC
Excallent tank. I like the tank very much. The detail is great. I echo what others have said about the shininess of the figures, could be the phots ? I noticed it's not going in a dio, if it does, here are my two cents. The figures are all looking in different directions and that will lead to many focal points in a dio, that will create potential confusion of subject areas, or many 'story lines'.
Holocaust59
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 113 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 09:56 AM UTC
I would suggest that if you can build a model to that standard, your skills are more than good enough for a Diorama!
Go on get it built... you know you want to! LOL
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 851 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 11:49 AM UTC
Hey Dave,
I've already talked to you about your Tiger in the mess hall quite a few times so I don't have much more to say. I like you use of PE, as you know I don't build without it.
Also, I like the way you blended the green stripes into the dark yellow, how did you achieve this?
My only critisism is that I would like to see your Tiger more weathered as it looks fairly clean.
Hope you had fun on the chicken safari, I will talk to you in the mess hall.
Great Work!
Andrew

lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 340 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 12:19 PM UTC
Nice job davidus I love it
Brandenus Pimpus
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
Armorama: 401 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 12:30 PM UTC
The S33 looks absolutely great, SS Are you gonna put it in a dio?
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 02:31 PM UTC
Very nice goblin there Davidus!
BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 347 posts
Armorama: 167 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 02:47 PM UTC
Nice work. Agree with the others on the "shiny" figures. i like that heavy links realistic look of the tracks though I don't like the "heavy" price

Also more light on the subject! Need some more light when taking the pictures.

Keep up the great work!

MSW (:-)

SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 03:16 PM UTC
Thank you boys and girl for your kind comment and suggestion. The following is the answers for the questions:

1st, the figure thing, I had gloss coat it first then wash with oil, but afterwards I put serveal flat on, but it's still shiny, I guess I just need to keep on flatten them....

2nd, The tow cable is the kit one, I just added wing nuts and brackets from PE to it, the Aber set does come with tow cables, but I just can't bend them to the right shape, and also insert into the PE eyelets no matter how hard I tried, so I choose the cheap/easy route....

3rd, the track cable is actually from the PE set, and it's a bear to bend, but luckily the outcome is okay.

4th. The AM items I am using for the kit is Tank Workshop partial interior, Aber 35K01 Tiger full upgrade set (highly recommended, imaging the 1/16 full Aber kit, this just the 1/35 version), and Friul Tracks.

5th. After I painted the camo scene, I did a wash with oil, then spray the tank with buff, and lower chasis with 70% flat earth + 30% flat black. Then weathered with pastel chalk, cannot do the dry brush, because I don't know how to do them....

Thank you again for your nice words, I am doing the old Nashorn now with a bunch of upgrades, and will post some in-progress pictures soon....
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 04:56 PM UTC
SS,
Very good, very good indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 08:02 AM UTC
Good job on your tiger...Just a trick when working with wire ...If you want them to bend as you like take them and heat them till they turn red hot ...this will take the spring out of the wire and make it easier to bend to shape...Try it you'll like it!!

Richard
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 08:06 AM UTC
hmmm...Just one thing and I really hate to be a party pooper here ...but the camo uniform that you put on some of your figurines only came out in 1944 ...D'oh!

Richard
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 09:22 AM UTC
I trust Dave with the camo as he did have pictures for reference. I thought panzers had dunkelgelb basecoats in 1943 anyway....... Well, what I really want to know concerns heating the photoetch parts. When you bend them, do they still have to be hot or does heating them once change their properties permanently?

Nic
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 12:47 PM UTC
Hi Nic ..the camo I'm talking about is the SS camoflage uniform on the figures known as the Pea pattern this came into use in 1944 only ...As for the photo etch ..As long as you let it cool slowly it will stay softer and easy to bend...I just use a candle or a lighter to heat up the pieces. Hope this helps....

Richard

Grifter
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 425 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 01:12 PM UTC
you just gotta love that Fruil. track.....makes the models heavy though. I like the damage on the exhuast shielding !
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 01:29 PM UTC
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the comment. I think you are right, I painted the Pea Pattern based on the Tri-Star Panzer crew box art, and I realized that it's for Normandy Crew. In this case. DARN....

But the bright side is at least, my first attempt of pea pattern cam uniform is recognizble...

Sorry Nic to let you down, it seems that I indeed erred....

Maybe I should call it S33 in Jan, 1944....
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 02:35 PM UTC
Thanks for the help bear and congratulations on becoming a Brigadier General Dave! It's amazing how quickly you can raise in rank when you finish a model (post a few pictures here, answer a few questions there....... ).

Nic
 _GOTOTOP