_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Merkava I
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 03:26 PM UTC
Just trying to do a little research into the Merkava I.

I have the Tamiya kit of the Merkava....and have seen pictures of the Merkava II and III with the anti-RPG Ball and chains around the back of the turret.

I am just wondering if the Merkava I had ever had these installed or not....or was it one of the improvements they made for the Merkava II?

How much work would be involved in converting the Merkava I to a Merkava II? Would it really be worth it? Or just better off to buy the Academy Merkava II?

If the Merkava I did have this Ball and Chain curtain....what could you use to scratchbuild this? I was thinking cheap jewelers chain and then may be a BB superglued to the end, this may not be to scale I guess, the BB that is...I think the jewelers chain would be OK for it....the BB might be too small.

Any help and wisdom would be much appreciated!!

Thanks,
Scott
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 04:26 PM UTC
Scott,
I asked this question over on Missing -Links a while back and from the answers I received decided it would be easier to buy the Academy Mk. 2 rather than try to convert the Tamiya. I did this and found the Academy kit to be very nice. If all you really want to do is add the ball and chain armour (it is cool looking isn't it.) it was retro-fitted to the Mk. 1's. When I built my Mk. 2 I used small chain (I think 24 links/inch) I bought from Walthers model railroad supply @ walthers.com, and small craft beads I bought at a local Michael's. Sorry I don't remember what size, but they are about the size of the rounded head of a straight pin. I have some really good pics of it and the balls seem to be about the size of a tennis-ball, check it out by going to the address below. I then cut the chain to the desired length, super glued the beads to the chain, and then superglued the chain to the rear of the bustle,some people drill small holes and use fine wire to attach them. I found doing this with jell super glue made it a lot easier and I have had no problems with any falling off.. It nearly drove me crazy doing this about 70-80 times but the result is well worth it
HTH
Mike
http://www.waronline.org/IDF/pictures/Army/Merkava-3/pages/image21.htm
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 01:43 AM UTC
Hi there!
The Merkava MK I from Tamiya is a very good model and you must add the ball and chains on the turret basket, it is easily made using some scale chain and hunting plumbing balls (just choice the correct scale).
Regarding the MK II version, stick with the Academy kit, it is also a very good kit, and you can buy that that comes with the chain and balls in white metal (but I do prefer making it as described), take care to shape the the armor on the left hand front turret, it is straight and not pointed as on the kit....check some photos and you notice it.
Here is a link for a MK I article I did a couple of years ago:
Tamiya MK I Merkava
Good luck on your project!
Cheers
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 02:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If the Merkava I did have this Ball and Chain curtain....what could you use to scratchbuild this? I was thinking cheap jewelers chain and then may be a BB superglued to the end, this may not be to scale I guess, the BB that is...I think the jewelers chain would be OK for it....the BB might be too small.
Thanks,
Scott

Been there, done that. I used about 80 lengths of costume jewelry necklace for the chain. This was attached through holes drilled in the bustle rack using very fine brass wire.The ball was represented by a craft bead also attached to the chain with brass wire. This was painted in maybe gunmetal metalizer. Total cost, about $2 for the beads, thousands of bead! 50 cents for the jewelry at yard sales and a couple dollars for the wire which has been used an antenna spring mounts, rings and various other uses and I still have some left. The good thing is that this works better than the white metal b&c Academy provided with some of its Merk II's and with its Merk III. It's a bit of a tedious processs, but once you get into production mode, it moves pretty quickly.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 03:40 AM UTC
I used the model RR chain and fine beads (hollow) method for the ball and chain also. But I took a strand of the finest wire, unraveling a lamp cord works, and threaded it through the last link.
Then I brought both ends down and through the bead.
A tiny drop of super glue on the chain link, slide the bead up the wire, snip off the wire ends.
Viola ( or some other large stringed instrument) and you've got ball and chain with a loop at the top like the real balls have.

Have fun, it took me several sessions of building and then putting it aside to get finished.

Mike
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 09:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

When I built my Mk. 2 I used small chain (I think 24 links/inch) I bought from Walthers model railroad supply @ walthers.com, and small craft beads I bought at a local Michael's. Sorry I don't remember what size, but they are about the size of the rounded head of a straight pin.

The beads should be the 2.5mm size.
Recon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,571 posts
Armorama: 764 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 12:20 PM UTC
I used small model railroad chain and I'm not sure what you would call them but you buy in the cake decorating aisle at the local supermarket. They are small round decorative balls!! They are used to decorate cakes and cookies. They are cheap and you get a million of them. Your wife/girlfriend probably knows what I'm talking about.
Recon
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 02:25 PM UTC
HEHE.....these are all great ideas guys.....thanks alot......

I like the idea of the cake decorating balls....never thought of that.....I could have a snack as well while I am making the chains!!!

RR chain....will have to check the local hobby shop for it, or see if he can get it.....we only have the one shop here....but he usually has a pretty good variety of stuff.

Next question.......how hard is it to paint the chains once they are attached to the turret? I would think that even at a low air pressure setting on an airbrush that it would blow these around a fair bit.

Thanks,
Scott.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 06:03 PM UTC
Keep in mind that the Merkava went through many changes not all requiring a new MK number early MK1s had there skirts removed. It seems when attached directlyto the hull mud build up caused track problems. theis was fixed by mounting the skirts about 4" away from the hull on springs. early MK1s didn't have both crew served MAGs or th e.50 over the main gun. and while Mk1 had the 60mm mortar mounted on the left right side of the turret the Mk2 had it in the turret roof in front of the loader.there is also anextra exuast on the left side od the hulll for a Mk1 not here on the Mk2.

Josh Weingarten
aKa shiryon
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 06:03 PM UTC
Keep in mind that the Merkava went through many changes not all requiring a new MK number early MK1s had there skirts removed. It seems when attached directlyto the hull mud build up caused track problems. theis was fixed by mounting the skirts about 4" away from the hull on springs. early MK1s didn't have both crew served MAGs or th e.50 over the main gun. and while Mk1 had the 60mm mortar mounted on the left right side of the turret the Mk2 had it in the turret roof in front of the loader.there is also anextra exuast on the left side od the hulll for a Mk1 not here on the Mk2.

Josh Weingarten
aKa shiryon
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 02:39 PM UTC
Railroad Chain? Is there a name for it other than that?

I was at the hobby shop today and he has never heard of anything like that.....

We looked in his catalogue.....and there was "model chain" in the 1/35 Armored sections.....but without seeing it....I would have a hard time ordering it!!!

Mind you it was only $3
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2002 - 01:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Railroad Chain? Is there a name for it other than that?

I was at the hobby shop today and he has never heard of anything like that.....

We looked in his catalogue.....and there was "model chain" in the 1/35 Armored sections.....but without seeing it....I would have a hard time ordering it!!!

Mind you it was only $3

Ah, a cheap, I meant frugal modeler. Before you pay 3 bucks for a few inches of chain, go to you local dollar store and look for kids' costume jewelry. Find a necklace with oval or round links. Get a couple of these. Hey, buy a whole bunch, cu off the clasps and repackage them as armor chain. The profits can support your habit, er, hobby. #:-)
 _GOTOTOP