_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-55
houborg
Visit this Community
Sonderjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 180 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 01:01 PM UTC
Hi guys,

This newbie from Denmark would like your input and comments to my T-55.

It's a Trumpeter T-55 with a little TLC

Looking forward to your feed back

Best regards
Morten
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 01:09 PM UTC
Hi Morten,

Welcome to Armorama. And what a way to introduce yourself! Very nice Iraqi T-55!

Greetz

Rudi
WARLORD
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 1,923 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 01:17 PM UTC
Welcome to Armorama.
Nice weathering. Scratches and chipped paint look great!
houborg
Visit this Community
Sonderjylland, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 01:30 PM UTC
Hi guys,

Thank you for your comments - it“s a bit intimmidating to post pictures here with so many great modellers.

Base coats - sand and green are from AV air - scratches and chips are done with lifecolor. Dust is MIG pigments diluted w. humbrol enamel thinner.

Idea was from an article in the Tamiya mag which I shamelessly copied. I hate the tracks but the modelkasten ones didn“t fit at all (lacked 5 links on each side, what a bomber after struggling with the assembly!!)

Morten
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 01:58 PM UTC
Hi Morten,
welcome at Big A. Very nice paint job on your T-55.
I know what you mean by hating the tracks but you could fix them with a bit of piano string or anything like this to keep the front part of the tracks closer to the roadwheels.

I'm a bit surprised to read the MK tracks are too short. Try Armour Track Model, this a company close to Trumpeter. The tracks are indy links with side connectors.

olivier
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 783 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 02:07 PM UTC
tell us(or me) how to do the scratches...did you just paint them or scratch the surface while it was wet? the chipping and scratches looks good. A-1 on a job well done.
Yeti01012001
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 360 posts
Armorama: 334 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 02:18 PM UTC
What a great looking beast you have there.
houborg
Visit this Community
Sonderjylland, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 02:36 PM UTC
Hi Liberator,

The scratches and chips were painted with a very fine brush. I thin the colors before painting so that they don“t look "painted" - it's a slow process, but I can“t figure out how else to do it

Best regards
Morten
MichalBT
Visit this Community
Województwo Kieleckie, Poland
KitMaker: 326 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 03:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

hate the tracks but the modelkasten ones didn“t fit at all

This is the reason why I prefer Friulmodel products They are not only made from metal, but they add idler wheels for their sets.

BTW: your T looks great. Weathering is a big advantage of your kit.
houborg
Visit this Community
Sonderjylland, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 07:24 PM UTC
hi guys,

Thank you all for the feed back and E-mails. I really appreciate your input backs and will try to post some pics in near future

BR
Morten
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 09:05 PM UTC
Very nice job on the T-55. I've always liked the Trumpeter kit, and your example shows why.
The weathering and scratches ae well done, but I especially like the treatment you gave to the road wheels.

Quoted Text

This is the reason why I prefer Friulmodel products They are not only made from metal, but they add idler wheels for their sets.

Is that new? I have three sets of their ATL-01 track, and none came with idlers, although all of my Centurion track sets came with sprockets. I know they're constantly updating. I remember the little jig they used to give you to squash the T-34 links together.
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 813 posts
Armorama: 522 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 09:40 PM UTC
Very nice, hope mine turn out as good
Cheers
Joker
sstuka
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkēe
KitMaker: 196 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 09:53 PM UTC
that's a great looking T-55. Perfect weathering.
Cong mate.

SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 10:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I hate the tracks but the modelkasten ones didn“t fit at all (lacked 5 links on each side, what a bomber after struggling with the assembly!!)

Morten

The Modelkasten Tracks are for the Tamiya T-55 IIRC, prob why you had problems with them.... The Trumpter kit is wrong overall but your model looks really nice..
MichalBT
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 11:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is that new? I have three sets of their ATL-01 track, and none came with idlers, although all of my Centurion track sets came with sprockets. I know they're constantly updating.

For my models (T-55AM2, T-55SNI, T55AM2 Merida) I used T-72 type tracks (ATL-11). They are sold together with drive sprockets (not idler wheels- sorry for my English I'm still learning )
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 01:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Is that new? I have three sets of their ATL-01 track, and none came with idlers, although all of my Centurion track sets came with sprockets. I know they're constantly updating.

For my models (T-55AM2, T-55SNI, T55AM2 Merida) I used T-72 type tracks (ATL-11). They are sold together with drive sprockets (not idler wheels- sorry for my English I'm still learning )

Even better. I want to put a set of T-72 tracks on a T-62. The correct drive sprockets will be an extra bonus. By the way, I knew what you meant, so don't sweat it.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 01:06 AM UTC
Everything looks great, especially the desert weathering. I'm hoping to do a T-55 for the Siya Africa campaign
MichalBT
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 02:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I want to put a set of T-72 tracks on a T-62.

Thanks for kind words

I plan to build T-62, too. I will use Tamiya T-55 kit as a base- but I don't know how to solve the problem of turret. I have drawings from FSM, but it will not allow me to reproduce its shape. How did you solve this problem?
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 02:28 AM UTC
Hi Michal,

have a look here
Jacques site T62 page

You'll find plenty of T-62 variants turrets. I'm pretty sure you'll find something suitable for your project.

HTH
olivier
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 04:56 AM UTC
Remember, the T-62 chassis is different from the T-55 chassis...unless you mean a Type-69.

The only way to make a T-62 right now is to either scratchbuild one correctly or else to modify the incorrect Tamiya kit. The Turret is probably the biggest, glaring problem on the Tamiya kit. Just replaceing this will go a LONG way towards making it look much better.

Yes, SP Designs offers a number of conversions for the T-62, as do quite a few other aftermarket companies. I would, however, steer you clear of the Verlinden update as the turret is still too shallow even though they fixed the front mantlet problem.

dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
KitMaker: 1,569 posts
Armorama: 1,385 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 07:03 AM UTC
excellent job on the chipped paint congrats
MichalBT
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 12:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The only way to make a T-62 right now is to either scratchbuild one correctly or else to modify the incorrect Tamiya kit. The Turret is probably the biggest, glaring problem on the Tamiya kit. Just replaceing this will go a LONG way towards making it look much better.

Jacques,

I will remember about it My way for building T-62 chassis is conversion of Tamiya T-55 kit. Looks like the most difficult part will be engine deck.

That's great that both SP Designs and CMD offer turrets. It will make my work easier and faster. What is the problem with SP Designs product? I had an idea of building version with horse shoe armor.

Any idea for cool camouflage and markings?

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 10:52 PM UTC
The biggest probelm with SP Designs is that Sergej uses gravity molding rather than pressure/vacuum molding, which means more airbubbles than what you see from the more professional casters like CMD. But that is why they have increased price too. I built the T-62M1-2 and it just means that you have to fill in a few more air bubbles. Accuracy is still comparable to other Aftermarket stuff.

Hey Gary, assuming that is your T-62, excellent job. Just a bit more than us mere mortals have skill for :-) :-) (I have yet to really scratchbuild anything yet, looks a little imposing even now... )

Dollar for Dollar, I prefer to use SP Designs stuff which is why I help sell it (not for profit to me). But there is no reason that the CMD stuff should not be used.
 _GOTOTOP