_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
slow armorama
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
Armorama: 190 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 06:34 PM UTC
I suffer from a very slow Armorama site the last couple of weeks/months?

I do not know when it has exactly started but it is kind of annoying.I do not seem to have these problems with other sites.

Has something substantially changed?

bilko
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 584 posts
Armorama: 241 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 07:17 PM UTC

I have had the same problems over the last week - in fact this is only the second time I have managed to get on.

After 3 - 4 minutes of trying to load I just get the message that the site is unavailable, there must be server problems and to try again later. I tried continuously for 4 hours last night (8.00pm to midnight EST Australian time) with no luck.

I see some (very) high figures as the number of people on line in the last 30 minutes ( from 275 - 350) is this what is causing the problem?

I need my nightly big A fix. :-)

Brian
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 07:24 PM UTC
Ach, I am glad that I am not the only one. It means at least that I am not dreaming

Could it have something to do with the "adbrite" publicity thingy?

I have the impression that now when I go to armorama i am passing another server first.

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 07:38 PM UTC
I believe we had some malcontents trying to disrupt our website. Staff_Jim is working with others to prevent further occurances from happening.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 08:00 PM UTC
If it's been slow that long, it may be a cache problem with pages from the old server vs. the new one? Not 100% on this but it would be worth deleting your temporary files in IE.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 09:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

it may be a cache problem with pages from the old server vs. the new one? Not 100% on this but it would be worth deleting your temporary files in IE.

Been there, done that.... but I also have a bad performance as far as the big A is concerned. All sites are like lightning, but Armorama speed is like a frozen snail that has hybernating for too long :-)

Sometimes it even is that slow, that I decide to give up and return later.
Diablo
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 09:30 PM UTC
strange??,no problem here.it is just as fast as other sites.sometimes having problems getting on to the site,but thats it i use firefox btw.

greetings jeroen,.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 09:35 PM UTC
Hmm....are the people who are having slow delays using FireFox or non-IE browsers? I used a Firefox browser when I was over at a friends house yesterday and a few functions (where pulldowns were needed) seemed to take forever! Then he let me use a newer PC with firefox and they worked fine. Not sure what is up with that.

There are periods (from my perspective) where the site is running slower, this is ussually from a background process or a memory leak we have been suffering from. But otherwise this server combo we have now is a LOT faster than it was this time last year.

Jim
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
Armorama: 454 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 09:49 PM UTC
S-L-O-W on my end to, Sunday, site would not respond at all in the early morning

animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 09:49 PM UTC
Same here. It has been very slow. Also Jim, I still can not access my members account.
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 09:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmm....are the people who are having slow delays using FireFox or non-IE browsers? I used a Firefox browser when I was over at a friends house yesterday and a few functions (where pulldowns were needed) seemed to take forever! Then he let me use a newer PC with firefox and they worked fine. Not sure what is up with that.

There are periods (from my perspective) where the site is running slower, this is ussually from a background process or a memory leak we have been suffering from. But otherwise this server combo we have now is a LOT faster than it was this time last year.

Jim

Sorry Jim but that is not the answer.

I can ensure you that the equipment that I have at my disposal here is top of the bill and I don't have any problems with other sites. Armorama seems just to be slower. Overloade server? inefficient software?

It could be worth looking at it considering that I am not the only one having difficulties. I have however, no intention of leaving Armorama because of these small issues. The content is great and there are some great people on this site... and that'smore than enough motivation to regularly visit.

keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 10:18 PM UTC
I am on cable at home and T1 at work and I haven't noticed the site being slower. I have noticed the occasions where the site has been down occasionally, but not slower.

Hope this helps with the diagnosis.

Shaun
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 10:30 PM UTC
Sunday morning for me was a no-go. From about 0830 to about 1000, no access whatsoever, the other sites I frequent where all fine. It's been this way now for about 3 to 4 weeks (Sunday mornings)

Frank
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 10:46 PM UTC
We have had outages (no response) in the past few days (Sunday morning... Friday Morning). But overall the server is running normally. Just this morning when I posted the topic above with 378 members online the posting phase took 2 seconds. Not slow. Also images are loading practically faster than the page can be drawn.

There certainly will be slow "pages" or requests (like checking the dynamic latest posts page or doing a search within the forum), but overall the server(s) are running normally for users on high speed broadband connections without any gateway bottlenecks or slow DNS servers in the way. Perhaps your ISP does not have DNS information cached on their end? Or they have the wrong DNS information. That would cause slow load times.

Jim
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 10:49 PM UTC
I've had no major Issues (With exception to the Outages) Load times seem to be reasonably quick......
Salvo
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
Armorama: 182 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 11:31 PM UTC
I have Armorama set as my homepage and the past month it has really been dragging. I either time out or get .sql errors. It won't effect me visiting the site, just wish I wasn't having problems.

Cheers,
Salvo
bilko
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 584 posts
Armorama: 241 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 - 05:39 PM UTC

Since I made my post (last nigt - really very early this morning) I haven't had any time outs trying to get in here. So maybe it was either the hackers or my ISP.

Thanks for the responses Jim.

Brian
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 02:23 AM UTC
Since the server change the site has been slow and slower for me. some days worse then others. a lot of the time it takes for ever (or seems like it) to get the rely (to post) page up and then post my reply.

Some days I just give up and close out of the site because it just takes to long. No other sites are like this at the same times.

I run IE on a fairly new computer.

Cheers
Cliff
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 02:49 AM UTC
Cliff,
But it's only like that at some times of the day? Not all the time right?

For the record Alexa says...

Speed: Fast (67% of sites are slower), Avg Load Time: 1.3 Seconds (what's this?)

Jim
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 03:25 AM UTC
I do not notice any slow speed issues and I use both a wireless laptop on DSL at home and a fairly powerful LAN at work. I have noticed more outages in the past few weeks than ever before.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 03:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cliff,
But it's only like that at some times of the day? Not all the time right?

For the record Alexa says...

Speed: Fast (67% of sites are slower), Avg Load Time: 1.3 Seconds (what's this?)

Jim

Jim it is slower overall but worse at certain times of the day. the worst of course is when a lot of folk are on and I cannot connect at all. I immediately go to other sites of mine all over the worls and they are faster by a long way.

Cheers
Cliff
WindSword70
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 04:26 PM UTC
I am having slow or no connection problems also. Its 0625 here and it has taken me 23 minutes to connect to the site after getting 2 "gateway timeout server is unreachable messages". Pages are loading slow. I didnt have these problems before the server switchover.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 09:12 PM UTC
I'm having page loading issues too - from the Latest Posts page when trying to access a Forum Thread. Other parts of the site have been working well for me.

Gunnie
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
Armorama: 454 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 09:53 PM UTC
Even getting slower today 2/8/06
 _GOTOTOP