_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
post counts
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 757 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 12:17 PM UTC
looks as if my post counter is stck, any answeres on this. have posted several items and it stays the same. or is it a daily post count?

reb
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 12:32 PM UTC
Post in the BST, Welcome or Junk-Drawer Forums don't actually register as'Posts Made'...Jim
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 757 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 08:00 PM UTC
wasn't actually refering to those, but nice to know

reb
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 09:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am not trying to be rude at all, but what is the big deal about post counts?

A high number of posts does not give one credibility... the content of the posts... thoughtful sharing of ideas and constructive comments... this is how one earns credibility; not a number by a rank icon.

Robert

Could'nt agree more. Does the number really mean anything? I actually don't even look at the post count number, nor the ranks.
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
Armorama: 1,227 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 10:09 PM UTC
I don't see credibility in the post count either, but it is fun to look at now and then, and wonder where you got all that time
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Armorama: 1,370 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2006 - 04:06 AM UTC
I myself would like to see the post count kept on and still counting. Though not for my own personal gain, I see it as it give me the confidence of the user I’m looking at or turn to. Not only that it shows that this member is pretty active here, It also gives me the since of trustworthiness in said member, and yes I’m aware of a few in the past. But with the exception of those few, we do have an outstanding group. As for those, not just one who say “ what the big deal behind post counting’’…well I remember most of you who posted one time or another about what new rank you just received. Don’t get me wrong here, I’m not knocking the fact that you did on the new rank. I say good for you, really, you deserve it.

Of all the changes going on here, this is one I hate to see go. Let’s not lose it.

My 2 cents,

Joe
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2006 - 04:45 AM UTC
Personally, I could care less if we had a post count or not. In actuality, a higher post count makes you a prime target for malcontents who try to start stuff. More of the "let's take a shot at the top guy" crap. I've probably deleted dozens of my own posts.

As the moderator of the Buy/Sell/Trade forum, the post count helps potential buyers and sellers identify an established member from a "drive by" poster (the term I use for someone who only posts sale lists).

Of course the post count does not protect buyers and sellers from regular members who decide to start cheating folks.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2006 - 05:56 AM UTC
My post count is high simply because I'm lonely, and despondent, and like to babble, and somewhere in-between there maybe be something coherent and useful..... :-)
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2006 - 07:50 PM UTC
Well, the post count do has it's purpose.... to tell me how talkative I became in the site :-) It's either asking advices and tips and saying some helpful hints (90% asking advices :-) :-) )
vanize
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2006 - 08:39 PM UTC
I've found that a high post count on just about any forum iindicates that the person has net access at work and is not sufficiently challenged by that job (ie bored).

Someone who has a high post count is probably familiar with more of the threads on a particular forum, and has probably seen more information and opinions than someone with a low post count.

but since the net is a fluid thing, post counts don't really mean all that much. I started modelling more than 30 years ago, and have been on the web for about 15 years (back when you could have a fair idea of almost every interesting website that existed!), and i only recently discovered this forum! So I have a lot of experience, but then again i have little clue as to what has been covered here before.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Armorama: 761 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2006 - 11:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've found that a high post count on just about any forum iindicates that the person has net access at work and is not sufficiently challenged by that job (ie bored).

Someone who has a high post count is probably familiar with more of the threads on a particular forum, and has probably seen more information and opinions than someone with a low post count.

but since the net is a fluid thing, post counts don't really mean all that much. I started modelling more than 30 years ago, and have been on the web for about 15 years (back when you could have a fair idea of almost every interesting website that existed!), and i only recently discovered this forum! So I have a lot of experience, but then again i have little clue as to what has been covered here before.

Hi Vance

Just a quick note to comment and add my point of view to your post:
I love my job, I have internet access at work (and at home) and I access to Armorama - not because I am bored, but because I have two passions over computers (my Work and Armorama).

It's true that some more ancient members like Grumpyoldman remember when, in a question of a couple of hours we read all the posts of every area of Armorama
The good thing about these, is that they can be browsed or searched - they are all here, to all to enjoy, learn, discover, remember and question yourselfs.

I also remember when the internet modeling community was a handfull of websites, a dozen of "online" stores and some reference websites - thank God for the evolution of computers/technologie/internet and also, and mainly, the content provided!

I can say that what makes a point to me is the manner of the modeler/member, the quality of his/hers works and the fact that 99.9% of the members here can give and take positive and constructive criticism.

This way we can improve our skills, we can continue to make friends and can keep having fun with our hobby!

Skipper

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2006 - 11:34 PM UTC
Hi Vance....
Sorry I don't have acomputer at work, unless I bring along my laptop. And I certainly do not have internet access....... but I do build models, write reviews, and articles, and still get paid for it.....

"I'm lonely, and despondent, and like to babble, and somewhere in-between there maybe be something coherent and useful..... "....

:-)
 _GOTOTOP