_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Flak 37 questions
arnie360
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 06:05 AM UTC
hi guys, first post at armourama (sic)

I need some technical info on the 88mm Flak 37 which i haven't been able to clarify on the net so far.

was the 37 only ever used for AA fire 100% of the time, or was it ever used to engage ground targets?

also, i've read that with chocks behind the tires, the 36 could engage ground targets while still on the trailer, if the 37 was occasionally used for ground targets, could it also have fired from the trailer?

sorry if these questions have already been asked on the forum, i had a look but couldn't find any similar topics.

i'm working on a diorama with a battered Tiger 1 mid production in the background for the Flak 37, i'll post the results if anyone's interested, though i haven't been modelling for very long, and this is my first 'serious' project.

thanks all.
arnie360
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 07:18 AM UTC
hmm, band of brothers episode 'the breaking point' has easy company assaulting Foy, with a Flak 37 firing from the trailer at ground targets.

is this particularly inaccurate? because if not, i'm going with the trailer option as it's quite interesting to the eye.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 08:43 AM UTC
Hi Adam:
A myth about the the 8.8cm Flak 36 and Flak 37 being designed for separate roles is COMPLETE FANTASY. This was poured out onto the modelling public by the notes in the Tamiya instruction sheet for their Flak 36/37 kit. Both were FLAK guns (i.e. designed for anti aircraft capability). However, all the wartime 8.8 cm Flak guns (Flak 18, Flak 36, Flak 37 and Flak41) also were designed with artillery and ground support ability (meaning anti tank capability).

The 8.8cm Flak 37 could and did often engage ground targets. The 18, 36, and 37 could all fire while mounted on its bogies (although not recommended). It's possible that the Flak 41 could as well -- can't confirm that though.

Good luck though. Keep plugging away and keep asking questions. Lots of good, friendly advice on Armorama.

Rgrds,
RC
Donald99
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 160 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 08:55 AM UTC
Welcome aboard, Adam.

I think Roy has pretty much answered your question. Do show us some photos when you get round to it.
arnie360
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 09:08 AM UTC
thanks guys, that really is useful to know, especially as i'm going to buy the 36 and display that off the trailer at some point too.

i've seen a lot of good advice offered and accepted with grace on the forums as i've been checking out people's in progress photo's, this is no exception.

it's nice to know such a community of like minded souls exists to be honest. now, i only need to find some pics of russian city roads and telegraph poles and i'm there.

by the way, does anyone else's partner think they're mad for wanting such accuracy in their modelling? my gf walked in on me researching russian telegraph poles and almost called the wedding off.
Donald99
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 160 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 10:26 AM UTC
I'm sure your better half will be more supportive when you two have got your wedding out of the way first.

For future reference, if you are in the dog house again you may want to give these guys a call

arnie360
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 05:08 AM UTC
hey guys, another few questions for you.

depicting the 88 on it's bogies, and using Band of Brothers again for my reference point, i assume the base legs are down (i.e not locked in the upright transport position) and the little jacks on the end of each leg are down far enough to touch the ground and secure it in place, is that right?

also, would the shield have been locked in the transport position while firing on the bogies, or opened out a little more?

am i asking too many questions yet?
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 06:13 PM UTC
The folding legs would have had to be lowered in order for the crew to get to firing positions and for the cannon itself to be rotated. The "foot pads" at the end would not have been long enough to reach the ground -- that's why it was inherently less stable than a full deployment of the weapon and this type of firing would have been on a emergency basis only.

I'm not sure of what shield configuration you are referring to -- there were several in the Flak 37 series.: Again, the crew would have moved the requisite plates in order to service the weapon, right?

HTH
arnie360
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 08:10 PM UTC
thanks for that, i can continue safe in the knowledge my legs won't touch the ground.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 09:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

using Band of Brothers again for my reference point

BoB was a Hollywood produced drama - not a source for references..Jim
MonkeyGun
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 943 posts
Armorama: 825 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 10:16 PM UTC
I have seen footage from the North Africa campaign of a row of 88's firing whilst still mounted on there bogeys.
I suppose in a perfect situation the crews would prefer to unmount them in prepared positions ,however In an emergency situation getting the gun into action would be more important.

Ian
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 10:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have seen footage from the North Africa campaign of a row of 88's firing whilst still mounted on there bogeys

If they wanted to keep the bogies in one piece, it wouldn't be particularly advisable. The recoil would knock them to pieces, not to mention the need to constantly re-acquire each target after each round was fired... The Flak 18/36 was equipped with 'spikes' to keep the cruciform mounting in place as well....

I'm VERY doubtful of some of the 'combat footage' as well - around 90% of it was staged for propaganda purposes. The operational manual would NEVER have advocated firing from the bogies either, unless in extremely urgent situations...Jim
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 10:44 PM UTC
There are two possibilities, one where the gun is fired whilst still mounted secure on the bogies, or with the crucifix dropped down, but without removing the bogies.
The first option would only be an extreme emergency scenario, as Jim points out correctly the damage to the bogies would be considerable. Also the traverse of the gun is severely minimised.
The second option is not ideal, but possible without damaging the bogies. The taverse is better, but access for the crew is still limited.
Cheers
Henk
arnie360
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2006 - 12:03 AM UTC
or with the crucifix dropped down, but without removing the bogies.

can you explain that to me in laymans terms?

i don't know much about 88's at all.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2006 - 12:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

or with the crucifix dropped down, but without removing the bogies.

can you explain that to me in laymans terms?

i don't know much about 88's at all.

The bogies have a winch, with a hook atttached. To move the 88, the bogies are rolled over the fixed legs (one each) and hooks are attached to lugs on the legs. The hooks are winched in(up) to lift the whole 88 clear of the ground. As far as I know, and here I'm not 100% sure, the legs are than secured in some way to the bogie.
Normally the bogies are uncoupled and removed to give the gun full 360-degree traverse and the crew full access. By just lowering the gun on the ground, the other two legs can be deployed, and spiked, giving much more stability. Inevitably the bogies will however impede the traverse and access. In this scenario the bogies will be positioned over the legs, but tilled towards the gun...

Hope that clears it up somewhat.

Cheers
Henk
arnie360
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2006 - 12:23 AM UTC
yeah that tallies with what i'm seeing on the kit itself.

thanks for the info.
 _GOTOTOP