Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
The Official Purple Hearts Campaign
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 08:51 AM UTC
LOL...No I'm scaling down this time. I still haven't moved my Berlin dio out of the living room so I'm running out of space :-) . I may take it to bits and reuse stuff as I've given up on the coffee table idea. May scare off the lovely ladies... :-) I'm trying to keep this one reasonably simple to be honest. I found a load of Airfix Multipose figures in the cupboard so I've been experimenting with them. Considering their age they're actually nice kits and I've found I can get reasonable poses with them. I even got my own Lee Enfield III out to help me get the colours etc right for the scale ones. That actually worried me so god knows what the neighbours would have thought if they'd popped round! Me sat on the floor with a rifle! They already think I'm odd building kits! I think with this one I'm going to focus on the suggestion of an assault (but having said that it may change) as I want to show the wounded and dead as opposed to straightforward combat . Not a vehicle in sight but showing the suffering of the infantry. I anticipate that with it being rural it will take me longer. I've never attempted water before so that will be a challenge. Fortunately I have a brook nearby so I can look at the vegetation etc. I've tried a semi modular approach this time as the craters I made some time ago so I've just dropped them in (pardon the pun). Hopefully I can get it to work.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2006 - 02:57 AM UTC
hey folks! Just trying to get a roll call going to see where people are at with their builds for this campaign?

I still havent seen any submissions into the campaign folder on kitmaker so if you have already completed yours, dont forget to move it there!

The campaign folder can be found at:
Home » Campaigns » Currently Active Campaigns » Purple Hearts Campaign Gallery

PM me if you have problems moving it over there!
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 470 posts
Armorama: 367 posts
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2006 - 08:56 AM UTC
Well I already told you Jeremy, but I may as well post for everyone else too.
My HMMVW troop carrier just had a run in with my nephews. A peice in the centre of the roof is missing, drive shafts are snapped, front glass is cracked/broken, and a bunch of other damage.

I am now enlisted, and will be entering it as a burnt out, possibly in a small dio with an injured figure staring back at the jeep. My little made up stroy being he escaped before his vehicle was completely destroyed.
Cyberwombat
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 262 posts
Armorama: 219 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 09:29 AM UTC
I'm in with a shot-up Trumpeter KV-2. Here are in-progress photos:

From the side:

A little closer. The "killing shot" would be the large hole in the hull. Smaller holes in the turret appear to be pretty common in these tanks; I image every man and his dog had a whack at these when they went past. I am waiting on PE fenders, they will be pretty twisted up by the time I'm through!

The engine is the old Verlinden resin set for the Tamiya KV-1/2 series, it takes some sanding down on the sides to make fit. The transmission came from a Maquette T-34/76 kit (no KV transmissions on the market, hint hint). The completed model will have the rear engine access hatches and the big engine hatch open, presumably by German soldiers for inspection.

This will have Friul tracks when done. More details as they occur...
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 09:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm in with a shot-up Trumpeter KV-2. Here are in-progress photos:

Awesome WIP shots there Dan! I can almost imagine how it could have been like being in that tank....not a good image though.

Looking forward to seeing more!
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 15, 2006 - 04:50 AM UTC
Ever had a day where things look good in the morning, the get worse and worse? That is the story of this models life. Everything started well, maybe I was a bit sloppy on the build, but this was just a quick one anyway, a HMMWV Troop Carrier. Then my nephews got a hold of it......broke everything I listed off earlier. Then a tragedy. Something in the kitchen caught fire, and spread to a pile of paper headed out to the recycling. Unfortunately, I had set the model on that paper while grabbing something out of the fridge, so I could have a snack while I thought how to do further damage (I had bent some parts, and removed some already). By the time I got the main part out and got the model out.....well I'll show you. Im just going to enter it as is after the accident, looks kinda neat in my opinion.

The story is whatever you make of it. Was it hit by artillery? Canon fire? Hit by a jet or chopper? Mortar rounds? IED perhaps? You decide. Dont know how you could make a more realistic burnt up vehicle :-)

My photos have been added to the gallery as well.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, September 15, 2006 - 04:55 AM UTC
Now thats what i call damage Kevin! Wow!

I can almost smell the burning plastic from here. I'd definitely go with the story of it being hit by an artillery round and then burning up slowly after.

Mate this would be perfect for a diorama where you have troops around it either tending to the injured or just salvaging whatever equipment is left.

Great stuff!

erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 15, 2006 - 05:39 AM UTC
Holy s**t Kev! That is badly melted... :-) . I have to admit though I've never seen a fire damaged vehicle like that. They don't usually melt but just bend. Your best bet to cover it is have the vehicle having hit a building and be partially buried by rubble. That'll give you a bit of leeway covering up the melted bits. You could have the crew returning fire to an unseen enemy? Just a thought.
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 15, 2006 - 06:20 AM UTC
You both have good suggestions, I will either say arty round and maybe try to clean up/straigten it out some more, or cover it with some debris/rubble.

As for the figures, I was ahead of you guys. Earlier I took quick referance shots to give myself a possibly dio idea (didnt want to lose paper when I move in a few weeks, computer records are harder to lose :-)). I guess I may as well show you the pics now instead of keeping it a complete surprise. Rough idea is a few troops coming to help an injured one who managed to climb out, while phoning for medics.

I may change it once I get my Maxi-ambulance, and if I can find some decent medics, or figures that look in the scavenging mood. I really do like that idea Jeremy. Maybe I can do both ideas......make a small section of street, have medics and scavengers pulling men and equipment away, and some others returning fire around a corner a little behind the jeep. Possibly hit by an RPG, then smashed into a wall ahead? ANother of many the "too many" ideas in my head right now.
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 693 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Friday, September 15, 2006 - 08:35 AM UTC
woah!! that must be some kind of shellin!! its a confirm arty hit..
confirm no survivors..
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 15, 2006 - 08:52 AM UTC
Kev, if you're going for a modern dio the figures will be wrong. You've got Vietnam era figures there which don't match the Humvee. The weapons and kit will be all wrong. Don't think I'm being overly critical as the dio has a lot of potential. It all depends on what you want to model. If you say what the dio is going to be I'm sure people will help you out with resources to get it historically accurate. This isn't a dig as some like to do as I've never really understood that mentality. The whole ethos of the site (to me) is about helping people out with projects. I have a couple of ideas for your dio which I'll PM you.
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 15, 2006 - 09:08 AM UTC
Thanks, and please, do PM me those ideas. Don't worry, I wasnt actually going to use these figures. They just happened to be one of the few sets still not packed for the upcoming move, and roughly fit my overall idea. I will use more modern figures, I just wanted to make sure I had pictures of my idea for when I can actually build the entire diorama.

But again, send over ideas in a PM, options never hurt!
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 693 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 - 04:56 AM UTC
so here i put my hetzer early frm my previous post.

KitMaker: 4,303 posts
Armorama: 1,051 posts
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 - 04:07 PM UTC
Hi all!

Here's a picture of my WIP for this campaign; a SdKfz 222.
I started a thread about the build of the model, so take a look on:
Purple Heart WIP: SdKfz 222 Poland 1939

Paul
novembersong
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 370 posts
Armorama: 236 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 12:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You both have good suggestions, I will either say arty round and maybe try to clean up/straigten it out some more, or cover it with some debris/rubble.

It's just me, but from seeing fire damaged vehicles, they oftentimes have a whiteness in the fire damaged area from oxidation. You might want to google "Car fires" for photos. Just did it myself, and heres an excellent example.
waterlily
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 59 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 04:14 AM UTC
Well I am finally getting started I have not decided how much damage I will incorporate into this kit probably just small arms if that’s ok. I am also thinking about opening some floor panels to show some of the transmission will keep you posted .

jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 06:17 AM UTC
Thats an awesome kit. Havent seen that one made extensively since its reasonably new.

Looking forward to seeing progress shots.
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2006 - 03:05 AM UTC
I'm building a StugIV for the campaign oob. One of the side-panels will be missing (not blown away, but removed by the crew after a hit), but I have no idea what a shaped charge would to to the armor-sheet and the underlying armor. I didn't find any photos online. Would just the side-panel be damaged? If the rocket penetrates the panel, how much damage would it do to the tank? Would the explosion show on the adjacent panels? (The thing is I know how to make a completely destroyed AFV. I want this Stug to be operational. But to picture a minor damage is hard... I don't want to end up drilling some holes claiming it's damage from small-arms.)
Any help would be appreciated.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2006 - 03:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If the rocket penetrates the panel, how much damage would it do to the tank?

Im not sure how easy it would be for anyone to quantify the amount of damage a rocket could potentially do hence why i was hoping to leave it up to your imagination. You could always portray a tank round penetrating the armour and covering that side of the kit with black soot to show some burn marks etc. Ultimately, some form of dents would be somewhat obvious so a few of those would do nicely in terms of telling a story as well.

I would suggest googling for photos to get some nice reference photos if you want to go for authenticity.
KCBuilder
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 95 posts
Armorama: 83 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 10:12 PM UTC
Hey all ,

Just found this campaign and joined it! Got a diorama that is almost finished too that should qualify.

The diorama shows a disabled KV-1 with a broken track and damage from non-penetrating fire on a road being stalked by some German troops moving through a forest. I was inspired by some of the accounts about these monster tanks blocking critical roads for hours sometimes days early in the war as the Germans did not have the firepower to deal with them. Many times infantry had to close assault them or they had to bring up the 88.

Hopefully there will be pictures within a couple weeks. I just poured the water (resin) last night for a stream that goes through the forest. Will take a couple days to cure so don't want to disturb it.

Marty
novembersong
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 370 posts
Armorama: 236 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 11:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I would suggest googling for photos to get some nice reference photos if you want to go for authenticity.

Try Corbis.com too. They have some good photos as well.Heres one of their shots.
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 12:55 AM UTC
This is a great photo (from the modellers point of view). But it doesn't show you the actual damage that caused the vehicle to be abandoned. (Too bad, there were no modellers back them with cameras.) Thank you; it's a great help to depict my abandoned Tiger. (Ongoing project for a while, but won't be finished by December.)
tony55
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 346 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 03:01 AM UTC
Here is my t-55. Burnt out in Iraq. It's from the trumpeter kit so no grest expense !!
Had fun doing this. Thanks Jeremy.

Hope you like it. The Black is from a lighter and not painted BTW. I like the effect it has.
The rust is burnt sienna or the real thing fron a kitchen pad left to rot in a tumbler on the shelf. Cheap and it works for me.
Cheers all

Tony
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 03:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Here is my t-55. Burnt out in Iraq. It's from the trumpeter kit so no grest expense !!
Had fun doing this. Thanks Jeremy.

Wow i think you did a fine job with the damage and you certainly cant say the burn marks arent realistic since it is the real thing! I can almost picture the projectile impacting the turret.

Great job!
KitMaker: 4,303 posts
Armorama: 1,051 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 12:02 AM UTC
Good looking T55 Tony! I can hear the echo of the impact over here!!
Nice effects!