_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
AER T-38 in progress
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 01:18 AM UTC
This is my AER T-38 that I started over a year ago. I got frustrated with how terrible the kit is and put it away for a long time and then seeing Toni's (Envar) made me pick it back up and try to finish it. The tracks are Fort's T-37/T-38 link-to-link tracks, the PE is various extra Aber bits and some scratch-built sheet aluminum, the tow cable was made from picture wire and the ends are from the kit, the white rivets were made with a punch and die set, the DT machine gun is a Modelkasten white metal part, and the tools that are not the color of the kit are mixed Tamiya and DML stuff.

ShermanSam
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
KitMaker: 136 posts
Armorama: 105 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 01:26 AM UTC
hi there,

i am not an expert on russian armor.
but is this the amfhibios tank?
i like it.
nice tracks btw.

keep going the good work, i really want to see the end result.

greets Sander
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 01:35 AM UTC
Adam

you `ve got a nice little tank there dude. I like the tracks with their natural "hang" and the towcable looks pretty convincing. that`s all I have to say for now.
I really want to see it after it`s paintjob

keep us updated

avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 01:37 AM UTC
Sander,

Yes, it is a light amphibious scout tank used by the Russians throughout the Winter War with Finland and in WWII. It was an upgrade to the T-37A amphibious tank. They also made a later version that was armed with a 20mm cannon instead of the DT machine gun. It is a very interesting vehicle. Unfortunately, there aren't very many pictures of these things around.
Hellcat
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / España
KitMaker: 22 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 01:41 AM UTC
I like the model Adam. You are doing a very nicely job. Who manufactureed the kit? Are you going to put any decals on it? What color will it be painted?
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 01:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I like the model Adam. You are doing a very nicely job. Who manufactureed the kit? Are you going to put any decals on it? What color will it be painted?

The kit was manufactured by AER. I haven't decided whether or not to put decals on it or not. The kit came with some, but most of the pictures that I've seen of these guys don't show any markings unless they were captured by the Finns. It will be painted the typical Soviet color of dark green.

Thanks for the compliments guys.
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 02:00 AM UTC
Looking good (as usual) Adam!
Those tracks really do the trick...those provided by the kit were not the worst I´ve seen, though. I´ve been trying to figure out something to attach on top of the tank, it looks so empty! Are you gonna put some stuff on top of yours?
Please tell me the color you use for the Russian green, I have another AER T-38 waiting for me in the box (don´t ask) and I already made the gun barrel for that so I´m gonna make it a Russian version!
What I heard from my fellow Finnish modelers, the T-38 was unlikely ever painted the way AER instructions show it (and the way I made mine ) Instead of the blue-white stripe markings it would more likely carry black-white Finnish swastikas. So I heard.

Nice of you to put this up, now I can use your tank as reference!

Toni
Hellcat
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / España
KitMaker: 22 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 02:07 AM UTC
Thanks you Adam. I never hear of AER. Where are them from? Do they make nicley kits or are they difficult to build?
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 02:11 AM UTC
AER from Moldova! Soft plastic, low detail, greasy sprues without part numbers, the world´s ugliest package design and probably worst instructions!

But I got my T-38 for two euros.

#:-)

Toni
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 02:35 AM UTC
Toni--Thanks for the compliments. Actually, I wasn't going to put anything on this one since it was so darn frustrating and I am just happy to have it done if you know what I mean. I have three more at home, but none are the AER one. I have the Cooperative kit which is the AER kit with PE added which will be the most challenging of the three. I have the Fort kit which is a whole different model and is superb. All of the inaccuracies of the AER kit are addressed in the Fort kit. Finally, I have the Bawman (Japanese company) kit which is nothing more than the Japanese import of the Fort kit. I plan to do either the Bawman or the Fort kit (it doesn't matter which since they are the same kit) fairly soon so you can see what they look like. If you like this vehicle, I would highly suggest trying to lay your hands on one of those. I got the Fort kit from Great Models and the Bawman kit from Rainbow Ten. For Russian green, I typically use the Tamiya dark green (I will have to look at the bottle when I get home to give you the XF#). Thanks for the heads up on the markings as I plan to do a Finnish T-38 with one of my other T-38 kits.

Hellcat--Stay as far away from AER as humanly possible. I have a number of their kits (T-38, Komsomolyets, BA-64, T-18, and T-28) and not one of them is any good. The fit is like trying to place a square peg into a round hole. The detail of the kits is poor at best and the accuracy is even worse.
MadMeex
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
KitMaker: 424 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 02:42 AM UTC
I have this mental tickler going off in the back of my mind that I have a pretty good photo of this AFV in one of my books... It's my grandfather's unit's history from their action in WW2, and it shows this tank basically beached on a rock. I'll see if I can scan it if you're interested.

Mika
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 02:46 AM UTC
Adam,

As usual, this is a hell of a nice job. I am so happy to see your work again, they are always inspiring and great!

I know what you are doing there, you wanna lure me to build more Russian stuff, don't you? #:-)

Great work, now take out that airbrush and start painting!

SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 02:48 AM UTC
Adam,

As usual, this is a hell of a nice job. I am so happy to see your work again, they are always inspiring and great!

I know what you are doing there, you wanna lure me to build more Russian stuff, don't you? #:-)

Great work, now take out that airbrush and start painting!

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 02:48 AM UTC
Adam--as always, a superb job. What type camera did you use to take the photos? Christmas bonus is due next week and I want to be ready.
thanks
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 02:49 AM UTC
MadMeex--I would greatly appreciate it if you could scan that photo for me. If it isn't a T-38, but is a T-37 instead I would still be very interested as I have a T-37 kit at home also.

Dave--Thanks for the compliments. Don't worry it will be painted soon. I ordered a new airbrush recently and this kit will be the guinea pig for that brush once it arrives (hopefully today or tomorrow).

DJ--Thanks for the compliments. I use the Olympus Camedia 3040C digital camera to take my pictures. It is an absolutely wonderful camera.
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 02:53 AM UTC
BTW Dave--You should build more Russian vehicles. :-) What they lack in camo they more than make up for in interesting designs like this vehicle, T-37, T-35, T-28, KV-2, BT-2, 5, & 7, etc.
BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 347 posts
Armorama: 167 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 03:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW Dave--You should build more Russian vehicles. What they lack in camo they more than make up for in interesting designs like this vehicle, T-37, T-35, T-28, KV-2, BT-2, 5, & 7, etc.

Adam Vukich
Washington DC, USA
Adam's Attic

Adam tis a cool kit.... Very unique looking and for what the kit lacks in quality etc. you make up for in modelling artistry...

Man I think I'm gonna have to start dumping some tigers and get into the lesser known/seen Russian armour

Happy Holidays (:-)

Michael
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 11:16 AM UTC
Six months ago I had bad feelings about armor, especially Russian design. I found Finnish armor miserable and absolutely not interesting.
Now I have ten kits waiting for me, all of them Russian tanks and I´m gonna make all of them to carry Finnish markings whenever possible. A few days ago I bought my first "real" tank, Tamiya´s Stug III Ausf G Early, which is going to be a Finnish version with logs hung on the sides and some concrete armor added to the front. I even bought the Dragon super detailed plastic single link tracks and Aber´s PE set for that! So if it´s not going to be a killer tank then I just have myself to blame!
Funny how quicky things change...

I could also say that Adam was a great inspiration for me to get interested in Russian tanks and the history of my own country!

Toni
 _GOTOTOP